Fort Myers Beach/Sanibel Island Report Coming Soon

Including Charlotte county - Port Charlotte - Punta Gorda, Glades County - Moore Haven (County Seat) - Palmdale Lee - Cape Coral - Fort Myers - Lehigh Acres - Sanibel - Pine Island - Bonita Springs, Hendry County, Clewiston, Collier County Immokalee - Naples
Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Fort Myers Beach/Sanibel Island Report Coming Soon

Post by Chevy Juan »

Leaving tomorrow morning with my lady for our anniversary to our usual spot on Fort Myers Beach. It will be her and I only and we will be bringing the usual two or three rods and other items to target some fish on the beach, as well as the docks at our hotel and in the area I usually have fished in the past that I personally know hold fish.

Hopefully the weather holds up good for us, we will most likely get our lines wet a handful of times but will be by the water plenty so I will be checking out the bait situation in the areas, I know many of you out there want to know how thats looking, I anticipate us to fish the later part of the days as the sunsets and will be throwing out any live bait I catch most likely Greenies, Thredfins or Mullet, plus some artificials such as Glow Shrimp, Bucktails, Gold Spoons, Top Water Plugs and Swimbait's.

I'll report back on the conditions and any action in the area when we get back during the middle of the week.

mcond
Fisher

Re: Fort Myers Beach/Sanibel Island Report Coming Soon

Post by mcond »

Can't wait for your update!! :nilly: I'll be heading to Sanibel/Captiva in a few weeks and I've been hearing some good stuff over the past week or so that a friend has been there. Tight lines :toast:
Miami/Key Biscayne/Homestead/Keys
Devoted spearfisher, Obsessive Fly Fisher and Avid spinfisher
Mitch

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Sorry been real busy so going to keep it short and I'll reply back when I have more time. Trip was great for us, next trip back I will focus more on the bridges and pier and tweek a few things that I know will make a world of a difference, seeing as I didn't bring much tackle.

Fort Myers Beach had lots of weeds rolling in making it hard to fish the surf, birds were crashing bait outside the first trough though it was hard to get at them. If you are going to fish the docks, have some kind of live bait and decent tackle in case you get wrapped up. Sanibel seemed to have good action, I went to check out the pier and they were getting slot sized Snook on Live Finger Mullet, the current rips through there so some stout tackle is def suggested. I was able to cast net a good amount of bait not far from the pier, school of finger mullet were swimming around you just had to follow them as they went up and down, pilchards were abundent and were able to get plenty with a few throws. Residential docks around the Fort Myers Beach area held nice size Pin's to use as bait as well.

Sanibel Fishing pier is $2 an hour for parking but its open all day/night and I'd say thats the better bet for getting on some fish from what I saw when I was there. There were people fishing the surf on sanibel and also fort myers beach but did not see them catch anything when I was there. I'm sure at sunup and close to sunset fishing the longer side of the island will also produce as the snook are running there now, key in on some live bait or some trusted lures presented/worked properly and you should increase your odds.

I'm posting in a hurry, but If you have any other questions just let me know here on this thread and I'll help you out as much as possible.

dag962
Fisher

Post by dag962 »

Thanks for the report, Chevy.

I am headed to Ft Myers Beach this weekend and will be staying on the beach for the next week.

I will be doing some sunrise and sunset surf fishing and hope to get a Snook - I figure in the troughs with some sort of white bait should get some action.

I also plan to head down and fish Big Carlos Pass and work my way around Lover's Key - probably get some Reds or some Trout or even a Snook as well. I will have a cast net, so I will be able to get whatever bait-fish are in the water and will also get some live shrimp somewhere, as well.

I also plan on a day-trip over to Sanibel / Captiva - looking at Google Earth, there may be a spot to two to drop in and wade for Reds or Trout in Ding Darling and then of course Blind Pass will surely be another potential spot for many species.

I am not sure of computer access once we get to Florida but will try to post a report and pics.

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

LMK IF U WANNA DO BACK WATER MY UNCLE WILL HOOK IT UP
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

Return to “SW Florida all Countys”