West coast report

Including Charlotte county - Port Charlotte - Punta Gorda, Glades County - Moore Haven (County Seat) - Palmdale Lee - Cape Coral - Fort Myers - Lehigh Acres - Sanibel - Pine Island - Bonita Springs, Hendry County, Clewiston, Collier County Immokalee - Naples
gdm phil
SHARKER

West coast report

Post by gdm phil »

We got to the marina around 745. capt was running a bit behind so we just waitied. found out he already had crabs and shrimp waiting for us. we decided to head out in hopes of some bait out the inlet. the water was gross since they opened the lake up. we had to go a good 10 miles out to find clean bait filled water.

We arrived at the color change to be greeted with pods upon pods of fresh threadfins. We sabiki a few. Capt breaks out his cast net and fills the well, were off to the wrecks!

At the first stop Capt immediatly spots a school of permit cruising by. We scramble to get rigged up with crabs. Once rigged we get our lines in the water, within 10 min Ed gets hit by a cruising Permit. Get it boat side and first fish in the box.
We stayed at the spot for a bit, Adam decided to fish the bottom . first line down and adam gets crushed. I would say a good 4 times he got pulled into the wreck.

After doing this for about 20 min Adam finally manages to get his fish out of the wreck and starts going to town. All of a sudden a 30+ pound cobia comes up with 2 followers. I throw a live bait in and BAM I snatch up one of my own! Capt gaffs his fish and moves on to mine. from there we moved onto another spot and started getting ran into the wrecks again. Herb gets hooked up and gives a beating. As hes hooking up I get slammed. rod bending and fish running. I start making headway on my end, Herb decided to break his loose to assist with my monster. Out of no where we see ad HUGE yellow ish body comming up.... GOLIATH!!! now we see what has been running us back into the wreck all day. we set him free to eat some more fish and continue fishing.

We moved a little further out and set up again. Adam managers to rangle out 2 nice Gags, and Ed was able to manage I believe 2 gags while fishing on the bottom. We continue fishing. things slowed down a bit. Out of no where Eds rod starts bending and screaming. Another family of cobes! Ed manages his up and in the box. the others were a bit small so we didnt bother with them.
after we cleaned up in that are we moved back to the orig to get some more permit, We saw a school of about 33 cruising but couldnt get them to stick around for long.

we managed 3-4 snappers 1 lane and the resst grovers.

The captain was spot on where to fish. my uncle helped out and landed a permit of his own. all in all a great trip we were ready for anything that came out way and it showed. Herbs got a bunch of pics from the trip and a little video.

I may have forgotten things but im sure the other 3 will fill in the gaps
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: West coast report

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Great report and mixed bag guys.

full-cooler
Seasoned Fisher

Post by full-cooler »

what were you guys using for bait..

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

Live thread find and live crabs
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

full-cooler
Seasoned Fisher

Post by full-cooler »

are there any kings around there? have you given your next trip date any though... phil weve done too much with these stupid hondas to have never fished yet man...

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

full-cooler wrote:are there any kings around there? have you given your next trip date any though... phil weve done too much with these stupid hondas to have never fished yet man...
Spoke to my uncle earlier, the Capt is going to the keys for commercial lobster fishing. He should be back in a month and I'll set it up again. The drive over was only about 2 hours to
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

No kings around mostly grouper, permit, tarpon and snappers
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

Def a good time. The capt wasn't used to people bringing the amount of rods we brought lol
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

Looks like a fun trip. Post some pictures!

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Sorry guys I just got home a few minutes ago. here are the pics:
The boat is very nice looking
Phil Pica Boat.jpg
The man catching the bait.
Phil Pica getting the bait.jpg
Bingo!
Bait load.jpg

Here is Ed and his very first permit
Ed and his Permit.jpg
Adam and Ed with a Gag
Ed and Adam with Gag Grouper.jpg
Ed with his Gag
Ed and his Gag.jpg
Adam and his Gag
Adam's Gag Grouper.jpg
Phil and his Jewfish
Phil and his grouper.jpg
Will go through the pics again to see if I missed any. The location of my camera was not optimal. I only got the transom and most were fishing on the sides or the bow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

Return to “SW Florida all Countys”