Snook on the beach in March

Including Charlotte county - Port Charlotte - Punta Gorda, Glades County - Moore Haven (County Seat) - Palmdale Lee - Cape Coral - Fort Myers - Lehigh Acres - Sanibel - Pine Island - Bonita Springs, Hendry County, Clewiston, Collier County Immokalee - Naples
QuintIam
Fisher

Snook on the beach in March

Post by QuintIam »

Not sure where to post this question, so I'll try here.

Fishing the beach in Lovers Key this past March. Catching lady fish mostly, but they will entertain me all day long. Anyway, here is my question:

Saw what I believe were snook right on the soup. My guess is they were sipping sand fleas. Saw quite a few of them. I had heavy tackle with me that day, and only recently live shrimp for bait. Wish I'd has an ultra light set up with me. Tried to get a small hook on a Carolina rig with light leader. The fish were skiddish, and if you got close they were gone. Tried walking along the beach and pitching tiny pieces of shrimp from a distance, but that didn't work. In a few minutes they were gone.

Is it likely these were snook? Snook were being caught in the bays and canals around this time. Can these fish be enticed to bite? Sand fleas would probably have been a great bait.

I'm rather new to your site, though I've learned a lot from what I've read. You guys seem to know what you are doing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Re: Snook on the beach in March

Post by cvstrat »

Coulda been snook. They can be found on the beaches year round down here but are more concentrated in the warmer months. If you're gonna fish a bottom bait I'd recommend a chunk of mullet, a decent sized chunk, assuming you don't have access to live baits. If they're being skittish just chunk out a hunk of bait on a bottom rig w/light fluoro leader and let them come to the bait. You could also cast an xrap lure at them, size ten white or olive.

Return to “SW Florida all Countys”