Sanibel surf fishing

Including Charlotte county - Port Charlotte - Punta Gorda, Glades County - Moore Haven (County Seat) - Palmdale Lee - Cape Coral - Fort Myers - Lehigh Acres - Sanibel - Pine Island - Bonita Springs, Hendry County, Clewiston, Collier County Immokalee - Naples
G_Loc
Weekend Warrior

Sanibel surf fishing

Post by G_Loc »

Looks like I'll be in Sanibel in late July and I'll likely be giving surf fishing a try. I currently have 7 ft and 8 ft rods, both medium heavy actions. Should I invest in a 9 or 10 ft rod?
www.cheesepatrol.com
"Fish are always eating other fish. If fish could scream, the ocean would be loud as ****. All you would hear is 'Awww ****! I thought I looked like that rock!'" - Mitch Hedberg, RIP

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Sanibel surf fishing

Post by fishnfool73 »

Those rods are fine. Try the pier and bridges in the area. The grass flats by the causeways can be great fishing that time of the year.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Depends on what you expect... when I'm in Sanibel I use my 7' with 3000 or 4000 inshore setups with 10 to 20 pound braid.
Mainly walk the surfline at first light with the shellers and cast lures mainly for Snook. Try Mirrodine's for hard bait, or jigged up paddle tails or fluke like soft plastics in light colors.. I like white with yellow tails.

After the sun comes up and the people wake up the rest of the days are spent relaxing and eating, there are some fine eating establisments there... Island Cow and Docs to name a couple.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

G_Loc
Weekend Warrior

Post by G_Loc »

Great, thanks for the tips guys! Looking forward to this trip. Love the idea of being able to fish right on the beach. No need to deal with driving, parking, and squeezing into a crowded pier (though I may check out the pier on the island :D )
www.cheesepatrol.com
"Fish are always eating other fish. If fish could scream, the ocean would be loud as ****. All you would hear is 'Awww ****! I thought I looked like that rock!'" - Mitch Hedberg, RIP

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

If you are going to drive.. check out Bowmans Beach, and also the Pass down towards Captiva...
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

G_Loc
Weekend Warrior

Post by G_Loc »

Didn't make it out to blind pass or Bowman's, but I had a good time surf fishing! I ended up buying a 10 ft rod :lol:

Caught 3 small sharks (or maybe it was the same one three times?), a stingray, a few small whitings (I think), and a ton of those little catfish. Unfortunately one morning I had a pelican fly into my line seconds after casting, untangling it was... exciting. Luckily the rig stayed on the bottom, so it didn't get hooked.

Hopefully I'll make it out there again next year
www.cheesepatrol.com

Return to “SW Florida all Countys”