St. George island

Escambia - Pensacola - West Pensacola, Santa Rosa - Munson - Bagdad - Oriole Beach, Okaloosa - Destin - Fort Walton Beach, Walton - Paxton - De Funiak Springs - Miramar Beach, Holmes, Washington, Bay - Panama City - Panama City Beach, Jackson, Calhoun, Liberty, Gulf - Port St. Joe, Franklin - Apalachicola - Lanark Village
3cells
Fisher

St. George island

Post by 3cells »

just had a most enjoyable trip to St. George Island, stayed at the campground, fished the beach (gulf side), and the old bridges, got some nice black drum - 18 to 22", some spanish mackerel (when I could keep the darn things hooked, any suggestions? 2/0 Gamakatsus on steel leader, should have been fine?) Also Specks, and the inescapable catfish, all on live shrimp, 1 speck on a lure.
Gulf beaches at night were fun, got several 3 foot+ sharks, and some bull reds, on fresh cut whiting. Daytime on the beach wasn't real productive, some whiting, catfish, supposed to be some pompano, but I never saw any. The bayside was producing some slot reds, besides the trout, and spanish macks. all in all, definitely worth the trip!!

almost forgot the 7 foot shark a fellow walked all the way around the pier before he got to see what he had been fighting for half an hour! Night time, live ladyfish on a heavy rig w/ 200# leader

Green Tide
SHARKER

Re: St. George island

Post by Green Tide »

sounds like a good trip. all kinds of fish to eat with a few getting away for fishing stories. seems like you had a good set up for the macs, maybe try a single #4 treble and light drag.
i guess it is getting to be a little late for the pomps
you ever go to port st joe state park and try for them there?

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

3cells
Fisher

Post by 3cells »

we had 1 day at st. joe, tried the ocean side, whiting, catfish, 1 shark that was laughing at the stupid tourista using #30 mono leader, very short fight. no sign of pompano. Couldn't find any sand fleas, so were using live shrimp, really a beautiful campground and beaches, like to go back and investigate further sometime!

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

yes it is very nice.
if you go around dusk bring the deet
killer scallops right there in the bay too.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

bait shooter
Fisher

Post by bait shooter »

I fished a little at St Georges , but have no idea where the pier is located . Is it in the park ? Was also wondering if you fished at the eastern end of the island , in the pass . :auto:

Return to “NW Florida all Countys”