fishing the gulf this week

Escambia - Pensacola - West Pensacola, Santa Rosa - Munson - Bagdad - Oriole Beach, Okaloosa - Destin - Fort Walton Beach, Walton - Paxton - De Funiak Springs - Miramar Beach, Holmes, Washington, Bay - Panama City - Panama City Beach, Jackson, Calhoun, Liberty, Gulf - Port St. Joe, Franklin - Apalachicola - Lanark Village
cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

fishing the gulf this week

Post by cvstrat »

Hey guys its been a long time but after about 7 months landlocked in Atlanta I'm making my way to Navarre for some kayak fishing.

I've been watching the water temps rise about s degree per day for the last week or so and with the warm weather slated for the next few days I'm gonna take the yak out and scout the area.

Hoping to chart some areas for snapper and grouper fishing later in the year. Should start seeing the first cobia of the year rolling through any day now so maybe I'll get lucky.

Anyway I wanted to post some reports here so I'll let you guys know how it goes!!

Rare
SHARKER

Re: fishing the gulf this week

Post by Rare »

cvstrat, son of KOTS....Excellent! Cant wait to see your report. :toast:

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

Sorry for the late report. I ended up yaking off of Navarre for the day. I went out about 3.5 miles and east about a mile or two then back in and over to the pier. It was a barren wasteland, but I went down with the idea of prospecting structure for red snapper season and I was able to mark about half a dozen spots.

Down there it's all about the coordinates. Everyone on the forums want the "numbers" anytime anyone catches some fish. There are tons of public wrecks with listed GPS coordinates but those get hit hard. Most of those are in Destin. People do drop FADs (fish attractive device) so there are some private structures around and people stay tight-lipped on those. Those are the ones that hold decent fish well into the season.

I was going to hit some public spots in Destin but the water was a bit cold and all of the seasons are closed so I bailed.

I'd say overall from what I understand that area provides better summer fishing than the Atlantic coast, but it's purely seasonal. Pier-based fishing is revolves around cobia and King fishing. Cobia season on the pier is like the f'ing pomp season on Dania. Annoying :P

For those who are curious, cobia season starts once the water gets above the 65ish degree mark. Closer to 70 is good. The water temp was 67 when I was there and was hoping to see one of the first cobia of the year. Looks like the bite started just after I left. I'm looking forward to heading back down but it's 5.5 hours from my house and paying for a hotel starts to suck pretty fast. Navarre pier shuts down at 8PM which is kind of crazy too.

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

Nice that you were able to scope out some spots for future visits at least. Making the 5.5hr drive down must really suck. If you ever decide to make the 12hr drive down here again, let us know. You're Dad (KOTS) and I would love to fish with you again, and the summer Snook are just around the corner.
Fish Crazy

Return to “NW Florida all Countys”