Port St Joe report

Escambia - Pensacola - West Pensacola, Santa Rosa - Munson - Bagdad - Oriole Beach, Okaloosa - Destin - Fort Walton Beach, Walton - Paxton - De Funiak Springs - Miramar Beach, Holmes, Washington, Bay - Panama City - Panama City Beach, Jackson, Calhoun, Liberty, Gulf - Port St. Joe, Franklin - Apalachicola - Lanark Village
Capt. Wallace
Fisher

Port St Joe report

Post by Capt. Wallace »

Did a little net throwing for mullet yesterday afternoon and had the shark poles out for fun. We netted a bunch of mullet, but all the sharks were very small. theres been a lot of small sharks around the oil docks for a few weeks now. all in the 2'-3' I only landed one of them and 2 huge sail cats/gaff top catfish. but then again I was using whole live mullet that were 1.5lbs. for bait and had many of them come back in as just heads. If you use smaller live bait you can have a great time with the ultra light.
Vegetarian: Indian word for lousy hunter.

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Great Report, Thanks :toast:
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Capt. Wallace
Fisher

Post by Capt. Wallace »

I got the report from my friend I dropped baits off to that was wading the flats (refer to my boat report). She said that she didnt catch anything on artificial before I got there but after started using live baits she caught for reds in the slot. She had a youngin with her so she kept 2 of the smaller ones for dinner. She also a 4-5 keeper trout that she released.

Capt. Wallace
Fisher

Post by Capt. Wallace »

went back down to the oil docks this evening and some friends had a light out the mullet were thick and one had white roe (getting closer to the run) :D One of friends got a very nice flounder in his net and I caught a 13.5" mangrove on my shimano 1000 with 6# line. I traded him 4 mullet for the flounder :mrgreen: he is a sucker. a few guys had shark baits out but never got good runs those little buggers are still everywhere.

had to add the ultralight aspect it was alot of fun keeping him off the wall As the seawall there is 25' deep

Capt. Wallace
Fisher

Post by Capt. Wallace »

Sorry I havent reported in a while my computer is shot and I no longer have internet.

The trout fishing is getting awsome lots and lots of trout along with the reds and flounders. Whiting all over the beach at indianpass and I am steadily casting 4-5 lbs of shrimp in the afternoon about an hours worth of throwing.

Came to destin for thanksgiving and have been fishing the pump house in the harbor have caught a very nice pompano and a few BIG flounders but the bluefish move in and we leave. I had about a 10# bluefish try and eat a 3# one I was fighting. :shock: going back this afternoon to kill some more.

The red tide is still bad in choctawhatchee Bay and surrounding waters but it is basicly gone from St. Joe Bay thank neptune

Capt. Wallace
Fisher

Post by Capt. Wallace »

Down at the marina the trout have been fairly steady. They turned on the other day and everyone was catching fish. There were a few of us catching a lot of fish. I caught about 50 trout and a couple buddies did the same. It was one was of those days where the;ive shrimp fisherman just couldn't keep up with lure fishermen. The whiting are still all over
Cape San Blas and indian pass.

Capt. Wallace
Fisher

Post by Capt. Wallace »

Since trout season closed haven't done much shore fishing but there are still trout at the Port St. Joe marina and a few small redfish the sheepshead, black drum and redfish are around bridges and jetties. Me and my buddy Brian A.K.A gilligan went to the St. Andrews St. Park in Panama City to fish the jetties. The Bluefish were so thick I was getting upset Cause I couldn't keep them of my jig or live shrimp long enough to get something else. Brian must have caught 25-30 blues and me the same with a handful of 2-5lbs. jack creavele that were hugging the rocks. I saw a few nice reds caught though they just were not on my line. all but one or two were over the slot. If you can find deep water near structure and moving water that will be the place to catch bull reds.

Return to “NW Florida all Countys”