How far out is safe?

Post anything relating to Kayak Fishing, if you have ideas on other topic areas lets hear'em
viper30j2
Fisher

How far out is safe?

Post by viper30j2 »

I have a canoe that I go out with. I stay around the first reef, and have been maybe 1/4 of a mile out. I have no gps or electronics, and am wondering how far out can I go and stay safe? How far out is the gulf stream. I've never found water deeper than 20~ feet. I've probably went out to 1/3 mile, but the water was no deeper. Does it get deeper before the gulf? Am I safe going out further? Does the fishing get any different? I just anchor on the first reef with a 50 foot rope. Does technique change deeper? Does the water get past 50 feet deep while still being safe?

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: How far out is safe?

Post by fixed80 »

viper30j2 wrote:I have a canoe that I go out with. I stay around the first reef, and have been maybe 1/4 of a mile out. I have no gps or electronics, and am wondering how far out can I go and stay safe? How far out is the gulf stream. I've never found water deeper than 20~ feet. I've probably went out to 1/3 mile, but the water was no deeper. Does it get deeper before the gulf? Am I safe going out further? Does the fishing get any different? I just anchor on the first reef with a 50 foot rope. Does technique change deeper? Does the water get past 50 feet deep while still being safe?
you wanna be safe then bring a partner with you. :wink: the water gets deep around a mile out as in it starts to drop steeply. oh and yes it can be good depending on what you are targeting. bonita, kingfish then yes. the further the better. but snook or poons...
no. stay shallow like up to 15 feet deep. really you should watch the surface for activity and then paddle towards it.

dm_0001
Fisher

Re: How far out is safe?

Post by dm_0001 »

Do you know if there's buoy around that mark where we can use as a tie down???

Return to “Yak-Addict-Info and how tos”