Got my yak!

Post anything relating to Kayak Fishing, if you have ideas on other topic areas lets hear'em
CrstyCptSWitherspoon
Seasoned Fisher

Got my yak!

Post by CrstyCptSWitherspoon »

Finally broke down today after watching some snook and a tarpon take one look at my pinfish and swim the other way while at a spill way. Drove to Oscar mayer's and picked up a 12' 6" perception. Not the best yak in the work, but it'll do for now until I save up some cash and buy a hobie mirage. So anyone that fishes off their yak in the Ft Lauderdale area down to Biscayne Bay let me know if you want to meet up and do some fishing! Currently using those dumb foam blocks but I'll have my inflatable rack by next week so I can transport my yak easier. Fishing reports will be posted soon!

Green Tide
SHARKER

Re: Got my yak!

Post by Green Tide »

Good luck on the yak. Be careful with that thing.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Good luck.. don't poopoo those foam blocks they work.

I have a new, out of the box, blown up test fitted never used Malone inflatable handi-rack.. it could be for sale.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

CrstyCptSWitherspoon
Seasoned Fisher

krash wrote:Good luck.. don't poopoo those foam blocks they work.

I have a new, out of the box, blown up test fitted never used Malone inflatable handi-rack.. it could be for sale.

Just ordered my malone inflati rack last week from dicks, but it won't be here till late this week or early next week, thus the foam blocks. They're ok, and would be much better if I had crossbars already but instead I'm stuck with a flat roof. Plan to get up early and go out in the river in ft lauderdale. More of a test run since I haven't paddled a yak in quite some time, but maybe I'll get lucky with some jacks or something.

CrstyCptSWitherspoon
Seasoned Fisher

Used my yak twice today. First was just down my canal to get a feel for it, second time I launched on the ICW near dania. Had three manatees follow me around for a while which was pretty cool but had no luck drifting along the rocks fishing. Got back into some shallow water and saw some fishing chasing something but no luck. About to head in and working a small line of mangroves I saw a snook or something with his fins sticking out of the water but he wasn't interested in my bait either. From this experience.... flats/mangrove fishing is where it's at!

Question, where can I go to get more action like this? I'm assuming biscayne bay, does anyone know somewhere I can start off? Not looking for your secret spots or anything, just a place that I can launch my yak(for free would be awesome) and a general idea of where some fish might be.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

2 places to start off in b-bay, but don;t really get your hope's up about catching a lot of fish there.

Matheson Hammock, pass the marina drive to the end of teh road, launch in the loop.. paddle South

Convoy Point, paddle North.

Its all crystal clear water, very shallow, mostly grassy bottom, some canals and some creeks that lead into the mangroves but most are impassible

If you want fish go to Choko, Flamingo, or Ft. Pierce on the Indian River.

CrstyCptSWitherspoon
Seasoned Fisher

Dang... too much boat traffic around bicayne for fish? I was always told it was pretty good fishing there, but of course flamingo was way better since there's no people around. Shame it's such a long hike.

bigseank22
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bigseank22 »

congrats man i am picking up that tarpon from key largo today... i am going out tommorow afternoon and saturday morning out of bayfront or black point for some flats fishing..let me know if youll be around the area

CrstyCptSWitherspoon
Seasoned Fisher

I'd love to tag along. Only problem is I get my new racks tomorrow, maybe afternoonish. These foam blocks don't really work for speeds over 50 mph, so I need the inflatable ones to go down 95 farther than just the next exit. Also weather.com says the wind will be E at 18mph tomorrow, not sure how bad the chop will be since I'm not too familiar with biscayne bay. If I don't go out on my dad's boat saturday I'll tag along then for sure.

bigseank22
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bigseank22 »

i went late afternoon yesterday and it was pretty windy...no success ....just stayed relatively close to shore and fought the wind the whole time...used and xrap and got one nibble and that was all..didnt stay out very long

CrstyCptSWitherspoon
Seasoned Fisher

Looks like a good day to go out tomorrow. Wind will be really light out of the SSE all morning. Sucks I have class from 8-10 :evil: :evil: :evil: Hopefully Tuesday will have light winds too and I can get out there. If not I'll probably go down to the 79th street causeway and launch from there. If anyone is interested in joining let me know!

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Its almost alway snice on days when I have to work.. did not go today, should have, took a walk on the banks of the C11... one small Snook and thats it for the day

kahukuchuck
Weekend Warrior

Post by kahukuchuck »

I'd like to tag along sometime. Im just limited right now by Kids and work. If the days play out right I could be set lose all day. But if the wife has to go in for a night shift then I have to be back here by 4 to pick up the kids.

skyzdalymit71
Weekend Warrior

Post by skyzdalymit71 »

We should plan a day where a bunch of us could get together and hit the beach or something and do some fishing or where ever.
FISHING ANY TIME, ANY PLACE, ANY CHANCE I GET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CrstyCptSWitherspoon
Seasoned Fisher

I went down to biscayne bay today by the 79th street causeway. It was the middle of the day so I didn't expect to catch much/anything but I was just dying to get out since I hadn't fished in two days! Kinda windy, bunch of seaweed blowin around and the water was pretty cloudy but it was a reallllly nice day. NW side of the spoil islands were nice and calm, bunch of rays zooming by, a fish jumping here and there but I couldn't catch anything due to so much grass floating around. Did end up catching a lizard fish and foul hooking a pinfish, which I tossed on my conventional reel and trolled behind the yak. Something big hit it and made the reel scream but the hook didn't set.

Going to paddle out at Dania beach by the pier early tomorrow morning, probably 6am. Wind should be light offshore making it nice and glassy. Feel free to show up and tag along, probably won't go out far just try to get some bait and troll around a bit.

bigseank22
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bigseank22 »

im going out sunday morning either from matheson or deering estate...as long as TS Emily doesnt hit us or cause to much storm surge...il be going around 6 or 7 am..anyone interested in joining

kahukuchuck
Weekend Warrior

Post by kahukuchuck »

Wish I could, If I wasnt workin Id go. I went out to day off of Hilsboro inlet for a few Hours. Only had shrimp. All I was gettin were Mutton Snapper and one Blue runner that was a load of fun. It was nice out there though

CrstyCptSWitherspoon
Seasoned Fisher

I might be able to go out sunday if I don't go out on my dad's boat. I went out today off of dania and there was nothing going on. Found a few different bait pods but there was nothing under them. Talked to a guy on the beach who said this is the worst year of fishing he's seen in the past 12 years(at least for snook).

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

kahukuchuck wrote:Wish I could, If I wasnt workin Id go. I went out to day off of Hilsboro inlet for a few Hours. Only had shrimp. All I was gettin were Mutton Snapper and one Blue runner that was a load of fun. It was nice out there though
Not a bad problem to have.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

kahukuchuck
Weekend Warrior

Post by kahukuchuck »

Green Tide wrote:
kahukuchuck wrote:Wish I could, If I wasnt workin Id go. I went out to day off of Hilsboro inlet for a few Hours. Only had shrimp. All I was gettin were Mutton Snapper and one Blue runner that was a load of fun. It was nice out there though
Not a bad problem to have.
No it wasnt bad at all Just wish I wasnt using a heavy rod, especially with that blue runner that would have been even more fun on a lighter set up I think.

Return to “Yak-Addict-Info and how tos”