Tandem fishing kayak, help?

Post anything relating to Kayak Fishing, if you have ideas on other topic areas lets hear'em
inshoreangler95
Weekend Warrior

Tandem fishing kayak, help?

Post by inshoreangler95 »

Hey, I would like to get some feedback and thoughts on a tandem kayak to fish out of with my dad. We've been avid anglers for years now but mostly just off the surf, piers (juno, etc), bridges (Ch. 2/5/Long Key), and the occasional trip on a friends boat. We're looking to mostly launch from places like the beach and inshore waters off of places around Miami, Hollywood, and (my favorite) the Keys. We would like to be able to take it offshore, maybe not too far, but just enough to get to a drop-off/wreck or just some deeper water. We've been looking at kayaks such as the Malibu Pro Tandem and the Hobie Odyssey, but i'd like to hear some pros and cons and/or other recommendations as we are clueless as far as kayaks. We're looking to fish snapper, grouper, tarpon, snook, smaller sharks, and it'd be nice to get out deep enough to encounter kingfish, etc. I have a good 'amount of kayaking experience, but from regular 7'-8' hobies just messing around, he has none. I am 5'10" and 180#, he's 5'9" 185#. We'd like to stay as low as possible concerning price, i'd say max around $1200. Any and all input is appreciated, thank you. Tight lines.
Tight Lines!

shmegger
Weekend Warrior

Re: Tandem fishing kayak, help?

Post by shmegger »

I just picked up a Heritage 14' tandem for me and the wife. It is a sit-in recreational class yak, not suited for surf or deep water runs, but perfect for flats, harbors, etc. I can run it solo if there is enough gear/bait bucket in the front to keep it flat.

For deeper water, you need one that is sit-on or that you are able to turn back over if it flips in water over your head. You probably couldn't do that with mine.

So, I havent even tried to take it into rough water or offshore, but if it were you, I would be looking for 2 used sea-class kayaks, not a tandem.
Support local fisheries. Buy wild Gulf Shrimp.

dm_0001
Fisher

Re: Tandem fishing kayak, help?

Post by dm_0001 »

I would get a one motorized kayak and another non-motorized kayak. Then drag your dad's kayak to any fishing spots.

I would suspect it would be too tight and awkward trying to cast out with another person on the yak.

The motorized kayak would help you scoot around channels or avoid bad weather. At least that's my thinking so far.

Motorized kayak = around $1000.

Hobie Watercraft = $1800+

Return to “Yak-Addict-Info and how tos”