Looking to start kayak fishing

Post anything relating to Kayak Fishing, if you have ideas on other topic areas lets hear'em
paddleout
Fisher

Looking to start kayak fishing

Post by paddleout »

Looking to start fishing out of the kayak on the east coast, any tips that you wish you knew when you started out?

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Looking to start kayak fishing

Post by krash »

Don't just go purchase the first kayak you see.. Due to the recent intorduction of low cost mass produced roto-molded kayaks to the big box companies, and the prized higher priced used kayak market due to the over-valued price thinking of tthe seller, you can easily be tempted by the $500 price range in those big box companies.

Go to places where people launch and fish, Dania beach, Matheson Hammock.. Choko.. on weekends at the time they are launching and landing.. launch is usually sunrise, landing is anytime afternoon.
Talk to the people, most are friendly, will happily converse kayaks good and bad with you, just don;t get in the way or delay the launch process. In person people are usually more willing to say the negative things they may not say in public on a forum.

There are a couple great values today in the big box stores if you look carefully, visually its hard to find any difference's, but there is one called the Pompano 12 at West Marine and Perception Sport Pescasdor 12.0 at a couple others priced right at $500.00 or under.
According to research and other people in the know this kayak is the 2005-2008 Wild. Tarpon 120 rebadge'd for the volume big box companies.

Search craigs list, and all the kayak fishing boards.

I stared with an 11' garage sale Mainstram kayak. It was 2 small for me, I was always wet, but it worked and had me fishing for a year or so until I upgraded then sold that Mainstream Renegade for what I paid for it. I then got a used OK ScupperPro, and later a Kazkazi Dorado. I stlll today 4 years later paddle the ScupperPro 95% of the time and am not looking to upgrade. About the only negative thing I can say about the ScupperPro is that its almost impossible to stand in because of the molded in heel cups, instead of a flat floor, Its a great paddling kayak, and also great for offshore or rough water kayaking.

MPO -- used market you can't go wrong with a Tarpon 140, Redfish 14, OK Prowler 13/15, OK Trident 13/15, and don't pass an opportunity on an OK ScupperPro all great paddling and fishing platforms for South Florida.

Used market values you should focus somewhere between $400.00 & $600.00 no matter what other extra stuff the person has added and thinks is very valuable. The seller should be happy to throw in the seat and paddle, other stuff is optional and may or my not be of any value to you. Don;t get hung up on rod holders and stuff like that. I've have that ScupperPro for 4+ years and still have yet to drill a hole in it to add anything, everything I need is on the crate behind me and removable.

Example, todays Craigslist check, Tarpon 140, will likely be gone before the day is over.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

xmarlyx
Seasoned Fisher

Post by xmarlyx »

that pompano 120 actually looks really nice. never knew about that one. thanks for the info
- Anthony

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Here is another CL check before I back offline, if I was not oncall I'd be fishing.

Prowler 15

paddleout
Fisher

Post by paddleout »

Alright thanks for the heads up, i've been looking at the ocean frenzy, i've heard good things about it and seems reasonably priced, any reviews?.(also gunna use it to take out shark baits)

I'm not completely new to kayak fishing but i dont have much open ocean experience. i'm looking for tips as far as gear/live bait storage and setting up rod holders nd whatnot.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Frenzy probably Ok fro dropping baits, but that's about it for its fishing capability.

If you are going offshore, farther than 100' to drop shark baits, go 14' or longer.

tiger101
Weekend Warrior

Post by tiger101 »

bought my first kayak from bass pro shops fell in love with it its a ascend fs12t great for fishing has all the bells and whistles paid in the 600 range now there about 500 you wont b disappointed . or you could look on craigslist but they hold there value so your better off buying a new one

http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS12T-Sit ... 647/212177

Return to “Yak-Addict-Info and how tos”