Advice for 1st kayak offshore excursion (Deerfield/Pompano)

Post anything relating to Kayak Fishing, if you have ideas on other topic areas lets hear'em
Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Advice for 1st kayak offshore excursion (Deerfield/Pompano)

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

I've been digging through the archives and other resources and figured it was time to ask for some advice from those willing to dish a little out... If the weather lets up I'd like to try an offshore adventure in the Deerfield or Pompano area; as they have wreck clusters within paddling distance (about 1 mile). In my arsenal I have plugs to troll on the way out (shallow n deep running), butterfly jigs, bottom rigs for live bait, sabiki's n a cast net (not throwing the net off the yak a mile out lol). I'm just not sure which tactic would get me the best odds at fish. I realize I could pick up a king trolling a plug or livey, maybe a jack or grouper jigging, or with a livey on the bottom. So a couple questions:

Would anyone recommend one tactic over another, as I'm not 100% sure what species are running hot offshore this time of year? Are my chances at a king or sail way better than a decent grouper this time or year and given location?

Is catching gogs or hoos real difficult? Do you need to chum em up first or do they hold to channel markers n such? Sabiki? Was planning on bringing some mullet/pinfish/pilchards whatev I could get beforehand just incase.

I'd appreciate any tips, either in the thread or a PM. Thanks and tight lines.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Advice for 1st kayak offshore excursion (Deerfield/Pompa

Post by krash »

Not an offshore, (as kayakers call it), but have been a few times. Check the FS forum No Motor Zone section thats where most of the yak offshore guys hang out and tell their stories.

I would suggest though that you go to the ocean side a couple times before just going fishing and practice several surf launches and landings. Getting out is not so difficult you can force your way out and at dawn its much usually much calmer that after 10:00am.. getting back in is a new experience, once you hit the surf/break line your kayak will have the tendency to surf down a wave and turn sideways, as soon as the kayak breach's or the bow hits the beach the stern will quickly come around in the wave and if you are not prepared and quick the kayak will roll over, dumping you and all your equipment into the water.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Reach out to member Cookinman he has posted some great yak reports
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

1OzLead
Fisher

Post by 1OzLead »

Check out the NMZ on the Florida Sportsman Forum. I go offshore in the Palm Beach area. If you are going out of Pompano/Deerfield/Dania, check out bugdoc, Flats Broke, kayakangler, and Pottymouth. Things are hit or miss right about now, but in the summer the ocean is flat and the fishing gets hot. I troll for BFT and jig for Almacos, AJ, and drop baits for Snappers.
Pretty soon you'll find out what you prefer to do. Tight Lines!

http://www.floridasportsman.com/paddlecraft/
"You really like to eat Jacks?"

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Thanks for the info, I've been creeping on the FS NMZ forums already. That's a good resource for sure. Tight lines.

Return to “Yak-Addict-Info and how tos”