Need advice on fishing roads

Post anything relating to Kayak Fishing, if you have ideas on other topic areas lets hear'em
flsailor
Fisher

Need advice on fishing roads

Post by flsailor »

I am new to yak fishing (I just ordered my first fishing yak). So, for someone that lives in South FL and wants to do some ocean fishing without getting into the heavy trophy (no, sharks, billfish, etc) what type of road you recommend? My instinct tells me a relatively short road (6' to 6.5'), not too sturdy and light enough to give the lures some action when trolling. Am I on the right track?
Thanks!!

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Re: Need advice on fishing roads

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

I'd go with a 7' m/h fast action rod like a shimano teramar paired with a spinning reel. It's hard to say exactly cause you didn't mention what the target species would be. What are you planning on trolling for? Why not target billfish etc? SoFlo is the only place in the states (HI excluded) that you can paddle out a mile and catch wahoo, sailfish, tuna etc? If you live in Palm, Broward or Dade counties, and don't have a boat then you're missing out big time by not fishing for pelagics!!!!

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

i would so go with a good ol fashion yoyo just cant beat it for the money you can catch anything on it
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

gruntking wrote:i would so go with a good ol fashion yoyo just cant beat it for the money you can catch anything on it
TRUE !!!! $2.99

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

sorry i couldnt help it
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

flsailor
Fisher

Post by flsailor »

Hi Poseidon,
thanks for your advice. When I meant no sharks or billfish I didn't mean that I was not going to target other pelagics. Sorry for the confusion. My targets will be tunas, wahoo, dolphin, Macs, Jacks

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

Let me be first to say I don't kayak but a lot of my friends do. What you want is a parabolic rod with a soft tip. One that has strength, lightweight, and sensitive so you can dance small jigs to medium.
This would be my first choice. This is a 5'6 Phenix Titan. It weighs less then 5 oz, lightest tip I ever felt, most parabolic I've seen.
Fight drag is 4-15lbs

It's lifting 11kg(22lbs) in this picture and high sticking. [url=http://s1Image126.photobucket.com/user/David_Sun/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0905.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

That blank weighs 3 ounces. They make a 6' blank with the same rating as well, personally I'd probably get the next size up a ML
At 5'6 for jig and troll and pitching live bait and kayaking away then paddle just a little bit here and there to make sure the baits are swimming right, like what the tuna captains do in Venice. That works for just about every fish. They call it bump trolling.

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

Why anyone would do that to their rod I just don't understand it.

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

It's rated to 12kg, just testing to see if it's a true rating. Looks good at 11kg...
I'd fish 1/3-1/2 what the rod rating states, that's a good friend of mine Bill, he's caught tuna over 60lbs with that 100 gram rod at 15lbs drag.

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

linh wrote:Why anyone would do that to their rod I just don't understand it.
Jigging rods are usually parabolic. They're meant to bend like that unlike a fast action tip. I'm guessing he bought the warranty plan for that rod to be hanging weights off it.

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

It was a dare. My 200g blank blew up while I was product testing it to see if it can handle the manufacturer claims. It didn't... He told me his 100g could lift it. And damn, he was right. Kicked me right in the nuts.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Some people push their tackle to the limits and want to make sure it will hold up when they do so.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

That one is fully parabolic, bends like a U as mentioned above. Good for kayaks and people who fight fish that battles a long time where the rods action helps the angler fight the fish. However not a lot of lifting power, which is a Fast action rod and bends like a J. You can use fast action rods to help lift big fish, turn big fishes head, pull big fishes up out of the thermocline, keep big fish from rocking you.

The parabolic rods will dance a jig better, some have really good backbone like the one pictured. Most 100g rods would blow up at half that weight being high stick.

If you want fast taper I'd go with the new Phenix Megaladon. 100-200g MPX566
If you want Parabolic go with a Titan 100g TXJ562L

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

fishnfool73 wrote:
Some people push their tackle to the limits and want to make sure it will hold up when they do so.
Thanks Chris, yes that is the main reason. Here in Florida unless your shark fishing or catching Goliath and Big Blacks you wouldn't need to go this extreme. But if that's what you are into, you have to have gear you can depend on. Lots of fishermen go and travel all over the place to fish for that once in a lifetime fish. Once they catch it, they are hooked again and make it a once a year thing. I'm sure Chris knows all about that, that's when you want gear you can count on.

Phenix is a good blank even tho it is made in China. It's best made custom and not from factory who don't even take the time and spine the blank.

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

I have a synit jigging rod which is parabolic. Just wondering why anyone would want to max the rod out to see if it could handle it. Especially when the rod could potentionally explode in his face.

Was it the temple reef line of jigging rods?

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

OP, didnt mean to derail your thread.

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

No the one exploded was not TR. TR are great rods made by the same plant that builds for Smith, OBX, and Racepoint. I was testing out a carbon fiber titanium weave blank. Synits are nice but costly... 750-850 for new jigging rods, and poppers for over $1000.00

Our blanks cost only $130, or less if you have whole sale. Not a huge hit if it blows up plus now we know how far we can push it.
Last edited by killula on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Dave on 360 there used to be pictures showing most of the bigger name rods being used to lift various weights. Not sure if you saw it. Those pictures showed me just how much I was underestimating the strength of my rods.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

Yeah Chris, but some of the older rods will blow up if you high stick it like that. That specific blank is a wonder rod. His favorite go to rod for light jigs. Even rods like Synit, try lifting at 11kg, on a razar 100 (better get the tissues ready for tears)
Last edited by killula on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

See those are 250g and 300g blanks lifting 25lb still very docile compared to 100g lifting 22lbs.

I'm going to grab a few megaladons. Supposedly they lift 25kg...
60lbs at 100- 200g a 150gram blank.

You should look at a 400 or 500 gram Megaladon for your next long range trip and spank a 300 - 400 lb YFT and get the old timers to step away from the calstar and seekers

2015 I'm hoping to fish PV, next month I'm heading to OI on the Canyon Runner for some Wicked Tuna.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Taking this year off from hitting Cali. Sick of working my arse off all year to pay for a fishing trip. Going back to doing it every other year and do a lot more local fishing.

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

PM me your number. I'll get you on a Venice LA tuna trip soon. Split Fuel Only. Friend owns a 2013 Cape Horn 600HP Yamaha 4 stroke so cost per day is only $80. I go there 4 times a year for smaller YFT. 40-100lbs, their Red Snapper is year round, lol you'll have fun without breaking the bank.

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

We can probably make a boatless Venice fishing trip with 4 guys in 2015 too if you want to bring 2 friends. I miss fishing with Richard. You all got me started it's my way of giving back.

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

From the jigging rods that i have bought in the past. You just have to be careful. Each company rates their rod differently. Some are over rated and some are under rated. Like a black 250 gram rod is more along the lines of a 350gram rod.

So it was a synit that blew up? You can send me a PM if you dont want to post it online.

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

Not a Synit either. It's a brand you probably never heard of before.

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

Linh, sent you a PM

op, sorry to derail your thread but my vote is a titan 562L. You'll love abusing it. And to those wondering, the tip on it is divine, you can work jigs from 60 grams all the way up to 200 grams. A finished rod will cost you about $300 with SIC guides, and it will fish better then many $800 rods. And when you hook a big fish on this tiny rod, she'll be ready, even if you arent! Did I mention, it weighs like 5 ounces built!

I'd fish 30lb braid with it like suffix 832, on a Saragosa SW6k, or a Catalina 4000H if you can afford it. If you like conventional I'd go with a Release SG, again with 30lb suffix 832.

Return to “Yak-Addict-Info and how tos”