Offshore Saltwater Kayaking

Post anything relating to Kayak Fishing, if you have ideas on other topic areas lets hear'em
anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Offshore Saltwater Kayaking

Post by anas473 »

I know there are a few kayakers in this forum and thought hopefully I could gain some advice. I do not plan on purchasing a kayak anytime soon but the thought of one has certainly entertained me for a good while. Do you prefer a paddle or peddle kayak for offshore and nearshore trolling,drifting, and jigging. Most of the youtube videos I see of experienced kayakers going offshore, usually in hawaii or our east coast, use paddles. About a year ago I had the opportunity to go out on a hobie tandem island and I know this is a popular vessel for offshore fishermen in texas, australia, and many other parts. Has anyone had experience fishing off one in our waters? If not, do you think the accessories such as the sails and the platoons would make fishing extremely difficult compared to a conventional kayak? Has fishing off a kayak paid off as an investment?

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Re: Offshore Saltwater Kayaking

Post by cvstrat »

You'll see more paddle kayaks because they cost so much less and good ones are a pretty recent invention relatively speaking.

Paddle kayaks can operate in extremely shallow water and are easier to land and launch in rough surf.

Peddles are way more efficient than paddles, your legs just have more strength and stamina. Plus you keep your arms rested up for fishing and have the ability to stay on a spot in current while fishing if you peddle while you drift.

If you add up everything you need to get started, the hobie package is very expensive. A lot of people start w/good paddle yaks then upgrade.

tartan23455
Fisher

Post by tartan23455 »

I've been fishing a Hobie revolution for 7-8 yrs in fresh and salt, inshore and not quite off shore but out there quite a ways. (don't know if you'd consider the 1st island of the Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel off shore but it sure is a long way out. about 3 miles off the beach). I love the Hobie, as stated it is very fish friendly but pretty darn expensive. Many many guys and gals opt for the paddle yak and have no problem getting on the fish. In fact most of the paddle yaks track way better and have better coasting than the Hobie, they are usually lighter and there are many new designs out there that will fit your fishing style and budget cheaper than a Hobie BUT the Hobie is a great fishing machine too. I love the ability to move and/or stay on spot hands free. I have used the sail on mine to troll with and it works very well although I can only say it trolls very well as I have not had a hit while using it. So I'm not sure what would happen if I hooked a big one and was trying to fight that while putting the sail away too. Might not be pretty, but am still waiting to find out. I rigged it with a homemade roller-furler and can set it up and take it down on the water, strapping it rolled up with one of the paddle straps on the side for launching etc. Of course you can troll very easily with the peddle power too. As for pontoons, I have not used them. I haven't felt the need as the Revo is pretty stable, even sailing ("if you pay attention." Shoot you can flip a 40 footer if you don't pay attention sailing.) It sails very well and is pretty fast in a good wind and will head up wind well. Has it paid off? Well that depends on how you look at. Have I caught lots of fish? yes. In Florida? no (I'm just not holding my mouth right) Have I enjoyed it? YES! Is it cheaper than say a power boat? Of course. Do I sometime want a power boat? sure. Would I trade it for something else? Sure, a Hobie pro-fish :happyfisherman: . (I have to say on the Ches Bay I have access to a boat so I get both worlds, but before I had that access I sold my 20ftr and got the Revo and fished that exclusively for 3yrs.) I would say anything that gets you out on the water somewhere is worth it.

Hope this helps.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

First thing I'd suggest is try both, see if you can rent them somewhere.... try try and try again, go to places where you think you'll use it and speak to people there, most are friendly and honest. To be courteous interact with them when they are coming back in, most fisher-people don;t care to be bothered/delayed when going out.

Both paddle & pedal have their pros & cons, as do motorized kayaks. There is also more than one option for pedaling, Hobie Mirage type dirve system and the Propel. The pedal drives add many $ to you initial investment.

I fish very shallow flats and the pedal drive systems just won't do for my type fishing.

Beware when getting advice from sales people, and try to find/speak to people who have used both. If you are located in Ft. Lauderdale areaNautical Ventures does demo days once a month, They sell quality brands of both pedal & paddle kayaks.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

Also the cheaper route for peddle kayaks look a native kayaks 1500 for a brand new peddle kayak
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

Thanks for the advice, its very helpful.

Return to “Yak-Addict-Info and how tos”