Kayak

Post anything relating to Kayak Fishing, if you have ideas on other topic areas lets hear'em
TidetotheMoon
Weekend Warrior

Kayak

Post by TidetotheMoon »

Bout to hit up some kayak fishing close to blackpoint...stopping by F&F for some bait right now. PZ

LINESIDER
Old Salt

Re: Kayak

Post by LINESIDER »

been thinking of hitting that area, let us know how it went .tide n such

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Post by baseball4life702 »

Too bad you won't see this if your out already, you should launch a little bit farther south at bayfront and hit the arsiniker key's... But damn 4:45AM this mofo is dedicated. :thumleft:

TidetotheMoon
Weekend Warrior

Post by TidetotheMoon »

Will definitely try Bayfront add on hopefully. Many barracuda mainly on topwater...saw a few sharks up to 3 feet long. A seaturtle with remora fish. Not much other fish.

Great sunrise tho.

Got chased by a few ugly clouds...but I should have stayed later.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Yea not much in the blackpoint area but farther south is a much better bet and then if you can bring it to the north end of biscayne bay and then get offshore with it too. Get a paper chart or the navionics app it will help out a lot.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Hit the bay myself today, launched at 5:45 a bit N. by Deering, started off as a beahtiful morning, but then it rained about 11.. but cleared nicely after that... no real fish sighted, few cudas, a small turtle, a small pod of big Tarpon...
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Yep storms have been a real nuisance today, so bad couldn't even fish through them to get the good fishing in lol.

TidetotheMoon
Weekend Warrior

Post by TidetotheMoon »

Hey Krash,

How did the tarpon look on the flats? Amazing probably. How close could you get to the school without them getting spooked.

I noticed the built in drain-holes make "ah whole heap ah" noise when I started picking up some speed. I could only think of all the fish i was spooking while approaching a flat or sandy area. I will have to buy at least 8 plugs...im in a tandem perception tribe...13.5.
I have a 14 maybe 15 ft. long canoe at home, but it need a minor hole to be sealed.

After going out and experiecing for first hand what its like out there, I think i would prefer to ride in the canoe and pushpole.

A little corny, but I named the kayak "Curry Goat" and the canoe "Stealth Chopper"

lol....w/e

PZ

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

:stupid: let me know when you need a partner to go out in the canoe or yak lol I have spots here and there.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

These tarpon were fas movers, a group of a handful, not a school.. they were roling, gulping, and eating.. was able to chase them down and have a few shots but no takers, then they were gone.. These were medium to big fish, 4' to 6', and were cruising in about 4' to 6' of water.. Last week the ones I saw were in a small area about 2' deep and but was only 2 fish maybe 2' to 3' fish.. Another day last week we were on fish around 3' for an hour or so and they were biting, my buddy boated one and I jumped 2.

I paddle a solo canoe and its quiet as a mouse... paddle it with a double blade'd kayak paddle, but I also have an adjustable length SUP paddle that I stand and paddle with.. unfortunately the canoe is not easy to stand in and I would not recommend trying to stand, cast, and set a hook or i'd be swimming. I've never flipped the canoe but I sure have been tossed out and swimming while standing.
Used to paddle a 14' ScupperPro (had it about 5 years) weighed 55 pounds and it was quiet as well but could not stand, also had a Dorado kayak that weighed about 62 pounds but could not stand with it either.. still looking for that perfect stand-up platform for the flats that weighs under 40 pounds. The canoe I have is 14' kevlar and weighs 38 pounds. I had heart surgery a couple years ago and now have no strength to hump 50= pounds around.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

They just recommended on Florida insider fishing report, arsiniker key's and angelfish creek for permit and other species.. So your next yak trip go south you will see much better results than blackpoint area.

TidetotheMoon
Weekend Warrior

Post by TidetotheMoon »

Thanks BBall4Life...I searched the forum as well as googled Arsinikers but could not pull up anything...

If you can...once I put in at Bayfront which direction should I head...After being there on foot with the family...not much fishing was done.

I noticed there were 2 small islands to the North...could it be there?
Where would you launch to get to
Thanks again though.

Krash...Thanks for the details...Im trying to soak it all up.
Ive flipped a few times on the lake... :rabbit: lol
Im standing somewhat comfortable on the kayak. cant turn around, I can only look straight ahead. I tried to push with the kayak paddle and found it to be quicker than paddling. I might want to get a push pole, buttttttt theres limited mobility while standing on the yak so we'll see. I did see a "flat backed" canoe before...not a gheenoe....idk if it was an indian river.

I kinda loaded the kayak....2 rods, crate, my 2 buckets for bait....1 empty ...1 with my cast net. I dont paddle with an attached seat...I found an old stadium seat i used to use at the orange bowl....RIP... I just set it down and sit.

PZ

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Bad spelling by me lol arsenicker
http://www.nps.gov/hfc/carto/PDF/BISCmap1.pdf
Theyre right at the southwest corner of the park boundary.
And it's south of homestead bayfront

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Best way to get to arsinekers (sp) is to launch from the parking lot SE corner of Homestead (bayfront) marina parking lot.. head South past and around the point of the power plant.. then farther South.. its a small set of Islands can't miss it.. another way is form Card Sound road, just before the bridge East side near Alabama Jacks, launch through the bush and start heading North along the shoreline..

TidetotheMoon
Weekend Warrior

Post by TidetotheMoon »

BBall4L, we have to link up a trip with Krash hit up South Biscayne..

I will need to be a bit more fit to paddle to Angelfish Creek...idk...

I could try the Ass-sinker's Key, lol... i had to.
Have you seen any crocs in that area in the past since its close to Turkey Point?

I would love to go tomorrow, but I may not have the time.

What direction would you paddle if you had to launch from Deering for maybe 4 hours? North to Chicken Key or South to wherever?

Thanks.

PZ

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

Tide of the moon, i have a flat backed indian river canoe 16 feet, with a 3hp gas engine. It is great for getting around without paddling and lots of space. You can stand in it but it is not very stable when standing. If you try to stand in it for an extended period I am sure you will eventually end up in the drink, more often than not.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

If you launch from deering north to chicken key Is about all there is maybe the mouth of snapper creek canal could be productive and whatever else you can find on the bottom should be snapper, cudas, other inshore fish around. But another spot north of those would be the mercy hospital reef, you have to launch from key biscayne but it's only about a mile paddle at max. They dumped a lot of chit in there and it's only accessible by boat and kayak but a better mixed bag of snapper, grouper and others.
Yes there should be crocs in the area not gonna be like seeing alligators in the Everglades but you might see one.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

I see Croc's all the time down south.. there is on spot we call Crocodile Rock where there used to be a small one, maybe 6', that would almost always be sunning itself on low tide, and another area with a good 10' one that hangs out form time to time. A couple years ago there was some people at Deering launch with a dog, looked like a golden retreiver type playing in the water and the croc that hangs out there got the dog and killed it. Strange feeling at oh dark thirty when that one sneaks up on ya.

I usually go, no matter where I launch in the bay, in the direction of the tide and with the wind in my favor for the paddle back to the launch site.

TidetotheMoon
Weekend Warrior

Post by TidetotheMoon »

I dont know what to say. Im afraid of kayaking all of a sudden...

Are they aggressive? If i ignore them I will be good right?

I havent thought about carrying protection with me.

Im off tomorrow and I want to try some beach fishing in NMB....we'll see.

PZ

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

:stupid: that's how to weed out the men vs boys lol
The crocs like the heat from turkey point they like to congregate there so as you go north there is less chance of seeing them... If you are afraid, As I said before behind mercy hospital is a nice artificial reef you won't see any crocs there

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

TidetotheMoon wrote:I dont know what to say. Im afraid of kayaking all of a sudden...

Are they aggressive? If i ignore them I will be good right?

I havent thought about carrying protection with me.

Im off tomorrow and I want to try some beach fishing in NMB....we'll see.

PZ
Not afraid if my heart problems did not kill me, (actually I guess technically it did technology brought me back and keeps me here), the lizzards an sharks probably won't get me, but I figure when its your time its your time.

They don't seem aggressive but I sure respect them and would not want to corner one.

The crocs are not nearly as inquisttive as the gators in the fresh water's, and don't seem anywhere as aggressive as sharks are.
I'm more respectful of them dumb azzz manatees.. been dumped by them more than once.

TidetotheMoon
Weekend Warrior

Post by TidetotheMoon »

I got a sony action cam and need to buy a mount and stick to throw it on the kayak.
I had the wrist control but lost it recently.

I cant wait to plan a trip to arseniker most likely from wherever I might have a more favorable wind. Its fun dialing into the different details and variables in order to target an area or species... So much to learn.

I love how the mornings can be so flat. I want to stop and cast topwaters, but only catch smaller barracudas. Theyre hit it good, but i want other fish.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

TidetotheMoon wrote:...
I cant wait to plan a trip to arseniker most likely from wherever I might have a more favorable wind. Its fun dialing into the different details and variables in order to target an area or species... So much to learn.

I love how the mornings can be so flat. I want to stop and cast topwaters, but only catch smaller barracudas. Theyre hit it good, but i want other fish.
S. Biscayne Bay is tough, I spend most of my time targeting BoneFish and/or Permit, anything else except Cuda are a bonus Cuda's are a nuisance.. I never stop trowing top-water though around anything that moves especially the sharks.
Like someone else suggested N. Biscayne is better for catching. One day I'd like to hit the old marine stadium area though, West Point off Crandon is a good flat also.

For Arsenikers the past 3 weeks have been the best perfect for that.. with the light SW winds early that seem to change to S and Se later in the day.. but its a long way with these afternoon storms around.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

The old marine stadium you mean the lagoon inside it? Before you hit it there there is the brickell artificial reef is that what you mean cuz they redumped concrete in ther in like 2010 and I've seen some flounder, hogs and snapper come outta there. But hell the whole key biscayne area is good and off crandon i believe there some reefs and wrecks not too far off. There's one like the half moon or something right outta bear cut.
I gave him the arsiniker advice cuz imo that's better than blackpoint but tide2moon like krash said the north side of Biscayne bay is a much better mixed bag if you can launch there.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

baseball4life702 wrote:The old marine stadium you mean the lagoon inside it? .
Yes thats the place... I'd like to hit that shore line some day

K R lip
Seasoned Fisher

Post by K R lip »

Tideofthemoon I had the same problem with noise from scupper holes u can make pluge out of practice golf balls the soft foam ones put a hole they them a plastic washer on one side and a loop of rope with a knot they are cheap and work grate on my ws ride 135. As for standing I have no prob with that on flat water but my yak paddles like a barge

TidetotheMoon
Weekend Warrior

Post by TidetotheMoon »

I want to do something so bad tomorrow.

I might have to try some bridge fishing.

Friends are trying to organize something tomorrow, idk. poop i wanna go tonight..

Weather forecast doesnt seem to be bad.... Saw an incoming tide at channel 5 starting at 5ish idk how accurate it is tho.

K R lip
Seasoned Fisher

Post by K R lip »

I wish I want to head out off Dania tomorrow but I don't have the time got stuff to do in the am so no go for me. As for late afternoon I would not head out into ocean I know ppl do but I'm not comfortable with that yet if I start to get desperate I go hit canels around Dania and Hollywood just to tool around and drag a line

Return to “Yak-Addict-Info and how tos”