Hard work finally pays off

Yak Fishing Reports from around the State of Florida
joenofishhere
Seasoned Fisher

Hard work finally pays off

Post by joenofishhere »

So I haven't posted my usual Snook and Tarpon night time reports lately, been mostly fishing out of the kayak/canoe in the early AM mostly on the weekends, but occasionally before work. Fished a bit with Brandon (Cannible), and some other non-forum buddies down in the everglades and have done well on Snook and Reds. Been really making a push to use the fly rod more and my local trips have been all about trying to get my first bonefish. I got a new kayak at the beginning of the new year and have been trying to make a few trips a month in the bay looking for bones. Wasn't seeing many fish early in the year but as it has warmed up I have gotten more and more shots. Lots of flies landing on top of fish, fish changing directions, tails disappearing just outside of range, etc, etc, I had/have become a glutton for this type of punishment though. Finally last weekend the stars aligned and I had a nice shot at a school of crusing/waking fish and dropped my little slider 15 feet in front of the school. Waited a few seconds and started stripping short and fast. I honestly thought I was snagged when my line came tight, but the next second the line at my feet was shooting through the guides and before I knew it backing was flying off the reel. Had a nervous moment picking up line when the fish turned back towards me, but after a few minutes I had my first bonefish on fly yak-side. Took a good while to revive but I made sure he was ok and paddled next to him til he had the strength to shoot off and leave me waiting for my next fix.

Not a bad one!
Walk slow, and carry a big Snook.

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Re: Hard work finally pays off

Post by Leadslinger »

Congrats man! The bone is sitting on the top of my list, temperamental little rascals.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

HAHA! Excellent! Good catch bro, except now you are addicted, and nothing else will ever fill the void of getting taken to school by a little silver bullet shaped bag of bones keen on annihilate your shrimp / crab pattern, then turning at the last second cuz, well this is what they do!!!

@Leadslinger, bud... you have a good shot at the fort... I have heard they like the shallows there... Look for them early morning, if it is deep, no tails, look for mud trails, or recently moved sand (usually looks blueish in shade)

-Swordfish

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

yep. gonna have to wait til i get the yak out here, to much of it off limits to shore bound fishing...sound familiar?

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Good stuff. I hear you can chum em up pretty easily with cut shrimp. Haven't tried for bones yet, but looks like fun.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Poseidon10/31 wrote:Good stuff. I hear you can chum em up pretty easily with cut shrimp. Haven't tried for bones yet, but looks like fun.

it works like a champ down there around the power plant

awesome fish bud
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

In the Islands, they use cut squid on the bottom... We just glorify them... lol However in their lifetime it represents about $175,000 per fish to the state of florida economy... So I understand LOL

-Swordfish

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

swordfish wrote:In the Islands, they use cut squid on the bottom... We just glorify them... lol However in their lifetime it represents about $175,000 per fish to the state of florida economy... So I understand LOL

-Swordfish

it works just aswell here
i know its a dink but it was still caught on squid
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

joenofishhere
Seasoned Fisher

Post by joenofishhere »

Poseidon10/31 wrote:Good stuff. I hear you can chum em up pretty easily with cut shrimp. Haven't tried for bones yet, but looks like fun.
The guides call it "booger fishing", you might wanna be careful though wouldn't want Spidey to blow out in the middle of a big run.

joenofishhere
Seasoned Fisher

Post by joenofishhere »

Got another one! Possibly double digits this time!

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

Good stuff dude. If your in the area I think your fishing bones are not easy to catch there and to top it on fly
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

richyrich929
Fisher

Post by richyrich929 »

freaking fantastic. Great job!

Return to “Florida State Yak Fishing Reports”