jewfish legal or not

This area is all about things that can affect the Boatless-Land Fisherman as to State and Local Regulations, Rules that pertain to areas that we may fish and enviromental issues that we need to get involved in. Please read these posts and get invovled. We are stonger in Numbers.

should jewfish be made legal again like one per person per day?

yes
76%
no
12%
maybe
12%

Total votes: 25

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

jewfish legal or not

Post by cantseeme47 »

what do u guys think?
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

fishing female
Fisher

Re: jewfish legal or not

Post by fishing female »

They aren't currently legal, but the population is getting too large. I don't agree with one per person per day. Maybe they could do that during a short season. How the heck can anybody eat a whole monster jewfish anyway? :?

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Should be a tag system like there is for tarpon. $50 a pop and limit it to 1 or 2 per person/year. No spearfishing either, they are too dumb and will get wiped out again if you can spear them.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:Should be a tag system like there is for tarpon. $50 a pop and limit it to 1 or 2 per person/year. No spearfishing either, they are too dumb and will get wiped out again if you can spear them.
Agreed 100%
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

One a person with a slot of say 33 - 47 inches and then tweak the slot a few inches one way or the other every few years to keep the population healthy.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:Should be a tag system like there is for tarpon. $50 a pop and limit it to 1 or 2 per person/year. No spearfishing either, they are too dumb and will get wiped out again if you can spear them.
I agree Rory. They gotta do something, the wreck's my kid dives weekly are decimated by goliath's. They eat everything in sight. They move into a populated reef or wreck and within a week or so they are the only fish left. Kill tag's and size limit's are probably the best way to manage them.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

i was watchin a roland martin episode and they were trying to pull up the fish as fast as they could cuz the jewfish were after them
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

snook123
Weekend Warrior

Post by snook123 »

Should be just like tarpon, in my oppinion.
- Jimmy

snook123
Weekend Warrior

Post by snook123 »

oops didn't see how old the thread is
- Jimmy

dave c
Fisher

Post by dave c »

Don't worry about how old the thread is, I just saw it now too, but I have heard the Fwc is considering this. My opinion, after living here since 1970 is to protect one species for a long time, especially an apex predator, will eventually tip the balance of power. I believe even the best scientists we have could not figure out what a jewfish, oops I am sorry, Goliath Grouper, even looks like. I think protecting the largest ones of the species and making some kind slot limit that includes the smaller ones along with a kill permit or stamp may be a good start. Only if the money is used for all grouper research and not wasted. Just remember to take the scientistists and Fwc with a grain of salt, just look at the current lionfish problem we have in which the only answer is to spear our way out of it.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

I agree wholesomely, place a slot on them, they are VERY long living fish and breed throughout their lives. Make it the lower end of size, the smaller one will always taste better anyway, if we go by the same rule as snapper and other pelagics. They really have very very few natural predators, and they are, after a certain size THE apex predator.

-swordfish

joenofishhere
Seasoned Fisher

Post by joenofishhere »

Yup 1-3 tags for $50 once a year would be perfect. Better make them count. :)
Walk slow, and carry a big Snook.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Did'nt they get rid of the $50.00 Tarpon kill tag ?

Why no spearfishing they are no dumber than hog-snapper or most groupers.. problem is sighting one in a slot while spearfishing.

I would vote for a slot limit, no need for special permits.. there are plenty of them around, but like Snook a well maintained slot size should work.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

Return to “Regulations, Rules, Enviromental Issues”