freshwater species fishing reports

This area is for your Freshwater Reports for Florida.
BenCantrell
Fisher

freshwater species fishing reports

Post by BenCantrell »

Here are some reports I wrote from my trip with Ken and Michael the week before Christmas. These two are mostly freshwater so I'll post them in here. Hope you enjoy them! There are also a bunch of saltwater posts that I'll put up in the saltwater subforums.

Exotics from the Miami area:
http://bencantrellfish.blogspot.com/201 ... miami.html

Exotics and natives from the Everglades:
http://bencantrellfish.blogspot.com/201 ... art-6.html

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Re: freshwater species fishing reports

Post by gruntking »

so how dose this work you just travel all around catching differnt kinds of little fish ?
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

BenCantrell
Fisher

Post by BenCantrell »

gruntking wrote:so how dose this work you just travel all around catching differnt kinds of little fish ?
Yup, that's pretty much it. I try to focus on Illinois fish when I have free weekends, but when I get an entire week off I'll go somewhere more exotic. You guys have so many awesome fishing opportunities down there in FL. :D

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

is this like a club thing because ive notice alot of other keeping count of species aswell
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

BenCantrell
Fisher

Post by BenCantrell »

Yeah a lot of people are doing it. Seems to be more and more every year. There are several websites that attract lifelisting people (speciesfishing.com, microfishing.com, roughfish.com, specieshunters.com, etc). A lot of us become online friends and share information, plan trips, etc. One way or another we all end up going down to Florida because of the ridiculous number of fish you have.

BenCantrell
Fisher

Post by BenCantrell »

miguel456 wrote:Anyone can go out and catch a big 200 pound shark on a big rod and reel,its quite common actually.
Catching sharks was supposed to the priority of our trip. :? I had hard time setting down the sabiki rod though... haha.

BenCantrell
Fisher

Post by BenCantrell »

Cool, thanks for the info! Might be 2+ years before I'm down there again, but when I do I'll be sure to put in the time to finally catch a shark.

If any of you FL guys are in the midwest for whatever reason, send me a message! I have some great gar fishing spots near me (longnose, shortnose, spotted, alligator), and I can probably point you in the direction of just about any sort of fish you'd like to try to catch.

BenCantrell
Fisher

Post by BenCantrell »

rare wrote:Every think of a fishing trip out to lake Malawi? And the other rift lakes as well? I know you will have fun with a sabiki out there and sky rocket your count of fish out in the great lakes...that will be great
That would be really cool. Hopefully the nile perch don't make all those cichlids go extinct, because it will be a long while before I could afford a trip like that.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Those things are beautiful to look at, but MEAN as HELL... They DO NOT co-exist with anything... It makes sense though, being that they are from wild Africa, where the law of the land is kill or be killed lol! We used to have 20+ in a 15 gallon tank and they were quite happy... You have to pack them in like that so they cannot establish territory, and even then they still eat each other regularly...

-swordfish

Return to “Freshwater Florida Reports”