Looking for anything other than LMB in Davie/Plantation

This area is for your Freshwater Reports for Florida.
Stubbs
Fisher

Looking for anything other than LMB in Davie/Plantation

Post by Stubbs »

I've been LMB fishing in South Florida my whole life and now that the peacocks are making a strong return I've been targeting them lately. After switching from my usual Texas Rig and pond hopping around for months, I still haven't gotten one. Now I'm not asking for your secret spots, but any advice on what has worked for you in my neck of the woods (specifically Pine Island Rd between 84 and Griffin) would be much appreciated. I thought a change of tactics would produce different fish, but so far I'm only catching fewer LMB than before (but the average size has increased which is the only plus). I've tried shiners, Heddon spooks and torpedos, rattle traps, and X-Raps but so far nothing...

Ain't nothin gonna break my stride though, I'll be back out tonight to put in more time after work!

Also, if anyone lives around me and wants to fish, contact me! I have a 12' Jon Boat w/ a trolling motor, but prefer to stay on shore unless there is a spot requires a boat.

Tight lines and good fishing,
Stubbs

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Re: Looking for anything other than LMB in Davie/Plantation

Post by baseball4life702 »

Stubbs wrote:Ain't nothin gonna break my stride though, I'll be back out tonight to put in more time after work!
That's the problem right there the peacocks love the heat, so midday fishing and before and after storms brings them out. Your wasting strides fishing for peacocks at night that's why your only seeing LMB they like cool temps. :toast:

Stubbs
Fisher

Post by Stubbs »

Normally fishing the golden hour (6ish-sunset), not quite night time. But that makes sense considering where they're from, work just makes it hard to get out there during the hotter hours. Thanks for the info though

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Yep, I'm not in Broward but in Miami where I am the bite usually ends around 6 for me, sometimes you can push to 7 if the sun is still strong but if I'm working I try to make it somewhere on my lunch hour to get my fix in lol but 11AM-2PM is about the best it gets.

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

Peacocks bite well at sunset. I live on a small man made lake and I can almost guarantee a couple fish if I have a couple cichlids in the bait trap. They love docks, and use them as ambush points, doesn't matter the time of day if you get a bait of some sort in front of them they will usually jump on it. Peacock bass are some of the dumbest fish to ever exist. Suspending jerk baits are my favorite type of lure, but a small crappie jig works great when they are feeding on minnows.

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

Heres a picture from a snapchat I sent to my friend lol

I think you just need to find an area that holds them and then it really doesn't matter what you cast at them.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Theres also really dumb people that think the dumb peacocks won't hit bass worms, knock out 2 birds with 1 stone that way... Lol :scratch: I'm not sure who's smarter yet, but yea the peacocks will eat anything. I noticed they shy away from the people who cheat with goldfish as live bait, which is a :thumleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

I fish that area once in a while and when targeting Peacock I will almost always have an X-rap black over gold... but that canal along PI between 84&Griffin ain't a good spot... hit the C-11, Orange Drive side along the shorelines anywhere between the T-pike and Flamingo, hit any structure you come across including pipes, bikes, and shopping carts..
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

I'm with baseball the one I caught 2 weeks ago was on a worm. I was actually targeting bass.

Return to “Freshwater Florida Reports”