Exotic Fish

This area is for Boatless Fishing Freshwater Help and Info.
Fishbach561
Fisher

Exotic Fish

Post by Fishbach561 »

What are yall doing with the exotic fish you are catching?? They cant be released...right?

snook123
Weekend Warrior

Re: Exotic Fish

Post by snook123 »

Mayans make good snook bait. :reeling:
- Jimmy

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

when I fish I release.... I don't think its illegal to release, without exotic's our fishery would be boring like the rest of the USA with only gar, mudfish, catfish, bream, and bass.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

krash wrote:when I fish I release.... I don't think its illegal to release, without exotic's our fishery would be boring like the rest of the USA with only gar, mudfish, catfish, bream, and bass.
"By law", it is illegal to release some fish... Some fish are kill on sight.

Take whatever it is worth to you. :)

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

It's "illegal" to release all kinds of fish that live down here once you catch them. However you're not going to be able to be forced to kill an animal, so it's kind of a moot point. Release if you want, kill if you want, eat if you want.

If you do kill them don't just leave them on the bank to rot. If you do release them don't release them into a different body of water, just right back where you found them. The issue can (and has) be debated forever.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

tears143 wrote: "By law", it is illegal to release some fish... Some fish are kill on sight.

Are these laws written somewhere ?

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

krash wrote:
tears143 wrote: "By law", it is illegal to release some fish... Some fish are kill on sight.

Are these laws written somewhere ?
http://www.eregulations.com/florida/fis ... /pageflip/

page 15
release/movement of fish

Bionic
Weekend Warrior

Post by Bionic »

tears143.. you can release any fish you catch right back into the water from which it came. your are not however allowed to move a fish from one body of water to another. No law can force someone to kill an animal. I wish more people would just stop with this crap.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Bionic wrote:tears143.. you can release any fish you catch right back into the water from which it came. your are not however allowed to move a fish from one body of water to another. No law can force someone to kill an animal. I wish more people would just stop with this crap.
That's really very true, For a number of reasons, no law can force you to kill a fish.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Bionic wrote:tears143.. you can release any fish you catch right back into the water from which it came. your are not however allowed to move a fish from one body of water to another. No law can force someone to kill an animal. I wish more people would just stop with this crap.
I am just telling you what the law said, take it with a gain of salt. Just giving you the information and you can do whatever you want with it.

here's the exact word:
Non-native fishes, except for peacock bass and triploid grass carp, must not be returned to the water nor may they be used as live bait, and should be consumed or disposed of properly.

This is indeed a gray area. Again, take it however you want. It's what is written in the book.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

i just kill everything exotic native i dont give a flying if it eats my hook its gonna dry in the sun just saying
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Sardinerule
Fisher

Post by Sardinerule »

Make fertilzer out of them, dont throw on bank & ruin the boatless fisherman good name.

EddieJRubi
Fisher

Post by EddieJRubi »

Here's a couple I killed about 3 months ago my uncle ate the catfish I don't nothing out of these canals especially down here in Dade county where the canals are connected to the Miami river which is full of junk!
Look at where Jesus went to pick people. He didn't go to the colleges; he got guys off the fishing docks.
Join my Facebook group ACTION VIVA!!

facebook.com/groups/ACTIONVIVA/

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Canals are connected to the Miami river, but not many are fed by it.. you should be more worried about the water being sent south-bound from Lake O.

I'd also be very cautious of fish from near shore places any where near a drainage canal, SFWMD is dumping what ever water it can from parts North any where they can. Check out all the press on the crap being diverted E & W through Pt. St. Lucie and Calusahatchie (sp), that same stuff comes our way, and if the E & W coast have there way it will soon all be pumped our way.

I used to have a personal rule not to eat any fresh water fish anywhere S. of Lake O, now I would not eat anything from fresh water and many inshore salty or sweetwater areas.
As a kid I grew up in Miami in the 50's & 60's and ate a lot of Bass from the lakes and canal's of my neighborhoods.

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

I personally don't keep any freshwater fish I catch, I release them all, yes even snakehead, it is all just media hype, in many places I fish I see exotics and natives co-existing, hate all those scientists that say one thing but fisherman with many years of experience prove them wrong, almost every lake and canal I fish doesn't have very pretty looking water and is usually full of mud, runoff, crap and more crap! never had a good experience eating fish from freshwater, just my 2 cents
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

Return to “Freshwater Help and Info”