Landed my first tarpon!!!

This area is for Boatless Fishing Freshwater Help and Info.
cyril1974
KING MACKEREL

Landed my first tarpon!!!

Post by cyril1974 »

Hey guys.. I have learned a lot on here over the years and appreciate all of you so much, I have now landed my first tarpon, I have jumped many, had many spool me, but this is my first time actually holding one!!! Unfortuneately, my 5 year old did not know how to hold my camera correctly, so the photo did not come out. either way.. it was a nice 3ft tarpon, I'd say around 20+lbs, caught in a canal. Here is where I ask my question now..... (setting you guys up! lol)

Okay.. so I have jumped a bunch of them on 20 and 40lb flouro leader, the leader always gets cut clean like a shark bit it off, the 60lb leader I used to get this guy in was almost frayed completely off as well as my heavy guage gamusatku (sp) hook was almost straightened, the fish actually landed itself... on the fourth jump it put itself up on the bank a good 6ft from the water... the question is, if it didn't land itself, it would have rubbed clean through 60lb flouro leader... and I would have lost yet another one.. how do you guys who consistently catch tarpon do it.. ??????

Super props to you guys!! :dude: :dude:
Oh.. he took a medium sized cichlid under a floating cork in case anyone wants to know.

Thanks,

Charles

swordfish
SHARKER

Re: Landed my first tarpon!!!

Post by swordfish »

This is actually pretty cool, and now that you say that, I have caught quite a few through the years on 20 lbs clear leader and 10 lbs test Ande... I say it because I think it has more to do with a circle and hook placement, as well as bowing to them when they jump, this is KEY if you do not, many things can go wrong. Try it out with 30-40lbs leader and try to keep steady pressure, dont horse em, and try to anticipate the jumps, the fish will let you know when its coming up most times... My .02 cents, good luck.

-swordfish

cyril1974
KING MACKEREL

Post by cyril1974 »

Thanks Guys! and Thanks Sword for the advice, I will definitely use it next time.. They are a load of fun, I hooked this one in the bottom jaw with the circle hook dead center, the way he was jumping is why I think he was straightening the hook.. this one was acrobatic... he had to be at least 6ft from the surface every jump!!!

Keep the tips coming guys.. I want to land almost everyone I hook.. (yeah right.. lol)

Charles

joenofishhere
Seasoned Fisher

Post by joenofishhere »

Cut back on the drag a bit if you are getting broke off that often, and bow to the king so they don't land on the line and cut you off. I fish 80 lb mono leader for Tarpon.
Walk slow, and carry a big Snook.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Way to go Charles! They're a rush! :mrgreen:
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Swordfish is the circle hook- hook set king. Most people targeting big tarpon won't fish less than 60# leader. My min is 80#. If you're using a circle and get the perfect corner mouth hookset than you could theoretically use 2# test. I like hauling a fish in fast to get a healthy release and hate fighting a fish for 20 min only to get frayed off. I love Gamakatsu hooks, usually fish 6/0-8/0 circles and big baits. Then again I'm not targeting 20 lb poons, but rather their 100+ parents.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

I always get the same reaction from different people, but hey to each their own, I am no king of anything, but all my fish come from my 1 setup that I use for everything. You may ask those who know me if I lose any fish or release any fish too tired or beat up. I feel its just a preference thing, was not meant to show off, I do not do that, I produce and give everyone my knowledge without expecting ANYTHING back.

If you feel more comfortable with beefier tackle then go for it, I love my light tackle setups, either way, take your time reviving the fish so they may fight another day. This applies to canal fish even more than ocean going fish, remember that the canals dont have as much Oxygen as the sea. Good luck and good for you that you are getting them to eat, canal tarpon from my years of experience develop serious lockjaw.

-swordfish

Sirsnookalot
KING MACKEREL

Post by Sirsnookalot »

Bravo on the tarpon and Bravo to swordfish, 10# mono and 20# leader is a nice feat. I mainly catch juvies at the inlet and I'm strictly an artificial lure user, these fish usually go 10-40#, anything bigger I give them the odds on winning. I use a mh rod 4000 reel 20# braid and 40# leader. My concern is more line capacity than strength, a fish pulling out drag should not snap the line, less pressure on line and knot. Getting cut off from the gill plate is another issue, keeping a tight line is going to be a big help. I think most tarpon are lost on the jump, as said try and keep their head down in the water.

cyril1974
KING MACKEREL

Post by cyril1974 »

Thanks Guys... The canal I fish in really doesn't have too much structure on the bottom, so I knew that the fish itself was somehow cutting my flouro leader off, they are a lot of fun! I am heading out there again this week, I will make sure to take a photo this time (if the fish obliges and lands itself again lol)

Thanks everyone!

Charles

Return to “Freshwater Help and Info”