Best Live Bait for Butterfly Peacock Bass

This area is for Boatless Fishing Freshwater Help and Info.
gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Re: Best Live Bait for Butterfly Peacock Bass

Post by gruntking »

SaltyDog wrote:I smell a troll goldfish work good too lol

smells like a cowboy
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Lmao naa the spelling is too good and this person uses punctuation marks
If it was him it would sort of look like this :bounce: :bounce: :reeling: eatpop :pistols: :roll: :shock: (tommy :D :( :o :lol: :clown: :joker: :jocolor: :drunk: :scold: :dude:

Rlaurez
Fisher

Post by Rlaurez »

Live baits that works best is south Florida are spotted tilapia, Mayan cichlids, and African jewel fish, don't forget natural Florida forage bluegills and brims get destroyed by peacocks also. These are found in large numbers throughout south Florida.

Artificial can range depending on the mood fish are in but first and foremost Rapala xrap size 8 in any bright colored pattern but black and gold is the go to. I've personally landed over 1000 peacocks including a possible state record Ten pound two oz peacocks on the xrap black n gold. All jerk baits and slash baits work. I would steal clear of soft plastics excluding high end Swimbaits. Crank baits and lipless cranks work during spawning season very well.

On the hunt for the next state record peacock bass !!

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

Baby bass colored size 8 husky jerk. In very clear water it doesn't hurt to use some light fluorocarbon.

You can also use the same crappy jigs you use for macks on the pier. Just cast out and let it sink, then jig it really fast. The more erratic the better really.

They love the golden shiners too. And yes it's totally illegal to transport the freshwater non-natives.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

man this thread feels so empty for some reason
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

I know what ya mean feels like some sucked the air out of the room without em

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Post by baseball4life702 »

Only thing his name is on anymore is Yankee capts. Trip...but I doubt it will be there much longer lol

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

i ment to say that in freaking pm
you tom delete that \chit man
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

Rlaurez wrote:Live baits that works best is south Florida are spotted tilapia, Mayan cichlids, and African jewel fish, don't forget natural Florida forage bluegills and brims get destroyed by peacocks also. These are found in large numbers throughout south Florida.

Artificial can range depending on the mood fish are in but first and foremost Rapala xrap size 8 in any bright colored pattern but black and gold is the go to. I've personally landed over 1000 peacocks including a possible state record Ten pound two oz peacocks on the xrap black n gold. All jerk baits and slash baits work. I would steal clear of soft plastics excluding high end Swimbaits. Crank baits and lipless cranks work during spawning season very well.

sound like Miguel has been reincarnated :lol:

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Rlaurez wrote:Live baits that works best is south Florida are spotted tilapia, Mayan cichlids, and African jewel fish, don't forget natural Florida forage bluegills and brims get destroyed by peacocks also. These are found in large numbers throughout south Florida.

hey new guy tell us about your self
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

I still just don;t understand why anyone would see the need to use live bait for Peacock Bass.... even you are using a cane pole
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

bassers
Fisher

Post by bassers »

peas are easy enough to get on xraps bait is good for those starting out....can not imagine needing a kayak for bass since they are easier than a silvery jack on a kayak :sunny:

Rlaurez
Fisher

Post by Rlaurez »

gruntking wrote:

hey new guy tell us about your self

Well names roger laurez jr, im from miami fl 25 years old im a new competitive BASS angler and started a lil guide service for peacock cichlids and other exotics. I've been fishing just over 22 years now i caught my first peacock when I was 3 years old and my father mounted it :reeling: it came in at 5 1/2 lbs in 2011 i caught a ten pound two oz peacock that was a possible state record i released the fish and still hunting for another ten pounder. I'm currently sponsored and pro staff for Rat-l-trap lures, DOA fishing lures, Creme lure co, reflexion Swimbaits, torque power rods, and lithium soft baits. I'm also promoting for razorfin apparel. If anyone likes they can follow me on instagram @southfloridafishing305 or on facebook with a page under the name south florida fishing if y'all wanna know anything else don't hesitate to ask!! :salut:

Rlaurez
Fisher

Post by Rlaurez »

krash wrote:I still just don;t understand why anyone would see the need to use live bait for Peacock Bass.... even you are using a cane pole
And you don't understand cuz apparently you don't know enough about them during dryer colder months peacocks and especially big ones on artificial real slow down, when the fish are cold or timid live bait works best of all.

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

[/[URL=http://s1064.photobucket.com/use ... jpeg[/img]]

finally figured out how to upload a picture, :cheers: . Caught this one a few months ago in the c-100.

Rlaurez
Fisher

Post by Rlaurez »

lkatze2 wrote:[/[URL=http://s1064.photobucket.com/use ... jpeg[/img]]

finally figured out how to upload a picture, :cheers: . Caught this one a few months ago in the c-100.
Awesome fish man in my signature is my ten pounder

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

Wow, that is an impressive Pea. I been fishing them since they have been around down here, and my best is just over 5 lbs. I've always had my best luck on large live shinners myself, although I've caught many on plugs as well. Thanks for your contribution, and looking forward to seeing more pics from your adventures. :toast: :toast:
Fish Crazy

Rlaurez
Fisher

Post by Rlaurez »

shos260288 wrote:Wow, that is an impressive Pea. I been fishing them since they have been around down here, and my best is just over 5 lbs. I've always had my best luck on large live shinners myself, although I've caught many on plugs as well. Thanks for your contribution, and looking forward to seeing more pics from your adventures. :toast: :toast:
Thank you brother on my Instagram I have a 25 inch 8lb peacock I caught in November last year. I love shiners but the best bait is whatever natural forage is in there lake or canal system, it's easy to catch them without a cast net you can go to walmart and buy a bait trap they cost 8 bucks a lil but of bread and boom a trap full of juicy natural forage. I use a good mix of artificial and live bait for them

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

Question guys.. Recently when I went up to central Florida I ended up buying a Rapala x-rap glass ghost size 8. Is this a good fresh water lure? Also can this be used for Saltwater fishing too?

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Rlaurez wrote:
krash wrote:I still just don;t understand why anyone would see the need to use live bait for Peacock Bass.... even you are using a cane pole
And you don't understand cuz apparently you don't know enough about them during dryer colder months peacocks and especially big ones on artificial real slow down, when the fish are cold or timid live bait works best of all.
Born '49 and raised in Yer-ami, lived in Key Largo for several years in the 70's & 80's, Ft. Lauderdale area since '84... been fishing since I was a kid in Westwood Lakes area, never had a problem catching bass or peacock bass on artificials... but sure maybe you're right I don't understand, so I'll just keep catching them slow or fast, warm or cold... ya just need to know where they go and how they feed when and where.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

Rlaurez
Fisher

Post by Rlaurez »

xtremeh18 wrote:Question guys.. Recently when I went up to central Florida I ended up buying a Rapala x-rap glass ghost size 8. Is this a good fresh water lure? Also can this be used for Saltwater fishing too?
Its a great lure for both fresh and salt

Rlaurez
Fisher

Post by Rlaurez »

krash wrote:
Rlaurez wrote:
Born '49 and raised in Yer-ami, lived in Key Largo for several years in the 70's & 80's, Ft. Lauderdale area since '84... been fishing since I was a kid in Westwood Lakes area, never had a problem catching bass or peacock bass on artificials... but sure maybe you're right I don't understand, so I'll just keep catching them slow or fast, warm or cold... ya just need to know where they go and how they feed when and where.
Look you could been born before Vietnam or ww2 for all i care you can fish the cold weather and catch one or two lil ones and ill use my live bait and catch 25 in a two hours. Age and locations don't mean anything buddy I've caught thousand and thousands of peas on live and artificial. You just one of them uppity dudes apparently trying to hate on people using liveys but hand down it works better 100%of the time so yea :auto: I can bet that just in Westwood lake I've caught more and bigger peas then you ever had please man I do this everyday

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

Rlaurez wrote:Its a great lure for both fresh and salt
Thanks man! I apprappreciate it!

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

WOW peacock bass (tommy
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

:stupid: if only it was as easy to find saltwater species like it is bass lol

Rlaurez
Fisher

Post by Rlaurez »

Lol depends what saltwater species your looking for some are very easy to find if you follow the conditions and tides, on the other hand it can be a challenge locating and landing some species

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Rlaurez wrote:Lol depends what saltwater species your looking for some are very easy to find if you follow the conditions and tides, on the other hand it can be a challenge locating and landing some species
No challenge in locating or landing bass lol maybe a challenge in finding/landing 8+lbs but that's about the extent of it

Rlaurez
Fisher

Post by Rlaurez »

Finding the big ones is the challenge but I would say on some days locating them can be difficult especially on a tournament day with cold weather or bad conditions

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Krash just took a crap and unleashed more fishing know how then you will ever have.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

:uplol:
And it barely gets cold enough around here but especially not this season warm as my ass

Return to “Freshwater Help and Info”