plastic worms

This area is for Boatless Fishing Freshwater Help and Info.
grouperking
Old Salt

plastic worms

Post by grouperking »

So im starting to go to this pond next to my house and i caught a 3lb bass yesterday but the problem is that im trying to grt 1-2 and i dont know how to really fish it. Usually i hop it around and move on but i always see people just dragging it. should i try that out? any other opinions? what types do you think are best/

Thanks guys for the help ill keep u posted since i go everyday :reeling:

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: plastic worms

Post by krash »

I have fished for bass for many many years and the purple or watermelon worm rigged weightless and weedless has been the go to bait forever... Most bass have been caught when the worm is falling or just after it hits bottom... I usually cast it to the far bank or down parallel to the bank, best is a weed edge, let the worm sink, watch the line, when/if it starts moving set the hook... if it drops to the bottom without a bite I'll give it a twitch or two let it lay, repeat 2 or 3 times, then retreive and recast moving down the bank.

If there are lilly fields a fast moving frog on the surface right through is yet another good tactic, but you have to be very paitent after the explosive strike and resist the urge to immediately set the hook, wait a couple seconds (eternity) til you feel the weight of the fish swiming away then set the hook.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

At the pond theres a huge pile of reeds..... I've tried to fish them with worms, frogs, lizards, and poppers but so far the artificial lizards are the best.
Any advice on how to fish them?

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Post by baseball4life702 »

IMO live bait is great for freshwater too... If u want to catch a bunch get some live shiners...or I even seen some people use baby bass or whatever other bait fish are in the lake :scold: not for me though but I have witnessed they do like to eat eachother. If u ever looking for places to fish pm me I have three lakes so close to my house I could probably cast from my room and numerous other canals loaded with largemouth and peacocks and some natural spots in the Everglades.

phillybass
Seasoned Fisher

Post by phillybass »

There are several ways to use a worm. I like to flip them a slow sink them. I use senko's a lot and have great luck. wacky rigging them is great also.
Tight Lines and Burning Drags!!!

aha14750
Weekend Warrior

Post by aha14750 »

Been using Senkos style lures a lot lately. Just cast them, let them sink on slack line. Once on the bottom I like to lift the rod unly I feel the lure (or if I feel what I think is a fish I set the hook) give it two twitches then reel in and start over. This type of fishing is all about watching the line move. I bought some KVD perfect plastics "ocho" at Oscar mayer's sporting goods by one get on 50% off. Good luck!

DragonFire
Weekend Warrior

Post by DragonFire »

I fish mostly at nite and that's a whole different thing... but I love fishing with worms/frogs... No ponds or lakes are the same.... I fish golf ponds and lakes
around my area and one type of worm seems to work better in each area.... Your problem is finding what works in your area... also when the water gets
colder bass get lazy and you need to drop the worm on their heads at times also downsize your offering...

As to color...and type of worm... don't be afraid to try different color... here one for you.. in one lake we go too at nite the bass love White color and that
goes against the norm when it comes to what type of worm or lure to use in darker water.....so go figure. :shock:

I also like senko and mann jelly worm (big one) .... here one thing that most folks wont tell you... once a bass gets up in weight... he tends to hang out
in the deeper part of the ponds/lakes... you won't get many bites, but that's part of the game..... oh once the water warms up and the spawn kicks in...
everything changes and that's a new learning curve :mrgreen:

Hey go out there have fun and during this time of yr... SLOW everything down.... and just when you think you are going slow enough...
SLOW it down even more.... :wink: oh and as far as to when to hit the bass... I hit them when I feel the first tick!!! a bass will inhale a
large worm in a nano second... that's the first tick you feel.... if you wait just a second.. you will feel the second tick.... that's the bass spitting
the worm out :lol:

OH also let the bass tell you whats going on....if you see them blowing up the water in part of the pond/lake.... go over there and fish it.. and
like I said don't be afraid to try different things.... a bass is just a really lazy/slow snook... but with almost the same mindset when it come to everything else

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Damn, JP...... You come back to post on freshwater thread. Thought next time i will see you will be the start of the next election 2016

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Seriously concerned about you JP bass fishing wtf? :shock: :roll:

phillybass
Seasoned Fisher

Post by phillybass »

At night this time of year if you want to try something fun slow pop a popper in a dark color when they slam it you'll crap your pants if its a big one. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

phillybass
Seasoned Fisher

Post by phillybass »

I love fishing topwater with braid at night and heavy cover equals hogs. My best bass was a pond in Lake placid, FL 12 LBs. on a top water at night. will never forget that fight. (tommy (tommy (tommy

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

thanks guys for the info yetserday sucked and i didnt get anything so i will go out today and try in a different place and look for sign of bass :reeling:

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

Went today and explored a little around the pond. First place had 5-7lb bass but they didn't want my work or spinnerbaits so I went to another place and right off got a nice on (16 in) and lost three others

I can't seem to be able to upload from my phone it keeps saying that it's too big

DragonFire
Weekend Warrior

Post by DragonFire »

LOL.... Yes I do freshwater also :mrgreen: I haven't been saltwater fishing in a long time...rip a tendon or something in my right hand and it hasn't been the same close to
4 months now... can't cast a net or work heavy gear without consent pain... so till it heals up.. I go freshwater fishing in fact I went last nite... they were hitting pretty good..
and I also love using a frog... but IMO its a seasonal thing right now they aren't even looking at them in my area.... oh guys if you live next to any golf course... hit them at nite
nobody there to run you off :wink: and there are some BIG bass in those water... just be careful of gators/copperheads/LEO and above all the dreaded "Chupacabra" that loves
to mess with fishermen late at nite :cheers: LOL.... trust me walking around a golf course late at nite with no lights and edges of the woods around you and every noise you hear will
mess with you.. heh heh... bugs aren't bad right now...

and as far as color/style of the worm> try different ones and see what happens....and always remember what they hit yesterday doesn't mean crap today....
OH and for those of you that don't know me... I was a loved member that went under the name "Jettypark" but when the site crashed :shock: ... all my wonderful insight/tips and humor was
lost for ever :cry: :biglaugh: and I have remade myself into "DragonFire" . :batman: .... now you will see the true me...no more mister nice guy.... :mrgreen:

To all a Merry Xmas...be safe out there everybody.... and hopefully we will have a Great Year!!! ..

Doubles
Weekend Warrior

Post by Doubles »

DragonFire, cool name.

Return to “Freshwater Help and Info”