bowfin help

This area is for Boatless Fishing Freshwater Help and Info.
chris21
KING MACKEREL

bowfin help

Post by chris21 »

never caught a bowfin before but Im dying to get one! I was thinking of trying the canals that run parallel to US 27 or Krome ave, would these be good places to target? also what are my chances of catching a pickerel there too? as they are neat fish, thanks!
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Re: bowfin help

Post by baseball4life702 »

You mentioned the places I would suggest...I always caught mine just off krome ave and tamiami trail. The west side of the second levee l-67 I think.... but I was there a few months ago wasn't targeting them but didn't see any, a few years ago you almost couldn't avoid them.
I dunno about the pickerel there but there is a canal that runs along Bird rd and dead ends close to krome the last section of the canal has a lot of gar and there might be a pickerel or 2 mixed in

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

head over to the holey land off of 27 at the broward/palm beach county line, there are loads of mudfish and if you are real lucky you may get a pickerel. There are more pickerel the farther north you go.

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

thanks guys what are good lure/artificial bait recommendations? I also do a lot of fly fishing any good fly patterns for them? thanks again!!
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Bowfins are very agressive and will hit anything, and put up some kind of fight too! I've caught pickeral off Krome canals, they run small.

Return to “Freshwater Help and Info”