Tamiami Trail Fishing

This area is for Boatless Fishing Freshwater Help and Info.
keyds
Fisher

Tamiami Trail Fishing

Post by keyds »

Hey y'all,

Been browsing this forum for a little while and some previous posts have been immensely helpful to me, so thanks already.

I'm heading down to Florida for my last spring break of college next week. On Tuesday, I'll be driving/fishing my way across the Tamiami Trail from Miami up to Boca Grande. My main goal is to catch a baby tarpon in the canal, but as long as I catch a few fish I'll be happy.

If any of y'all would be kind enough to share a successful spot or two I'd be greatly appreciative. I know I'm breaking the first rule in the book by asking for people's honey holes, but I figure it's worth a shot. I only have one chance to fish it, so it's not like I'd ruin your spot by coming back. PMs are just fine, I'll keep your info on the down low.

Hopefully I'll have a successful report to post here next week. Thanks!

Old School
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Tamiami Trail Fishing

Post by Old School »

I have caught baby tarpon on the trail right in Dade County. Try fishing to the east of Krome towards Miami, Look for rolling fish. Very small plugs like Rattle traps, and Rapala's have worked for me in the post. These tarpon are seldom fished compared to the ones near the West Coast in my experience so they are easier to catch.

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

fish the bridge and weir at the "Port of the Islands" development. It is right on Tamiami trail about 15 minutes west of the highway 29 intersection. Fish both sides of the bridge especially near the weir(dam). If the tarpon are their you will see them rolling, the tarpon range from 5 pounders to real bigguns. Btw, there are also small and big snook there.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Post by baseball4life702 »

Better places than tamami trail, btw I was there the other day and it was dead nothing but some dead peacocks.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

baseball4life702 wrote:Better places than tamami trail, btw I was there the other day and it was dead nothing but some dead peacocks.
Thats right... Stay away... Toxic place, no fish there. :pistols: :pistols: :pistols: :pistols: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Definitely NO place to get a slam... Red, snook and tarpon... Bass too, and have seen 2 sawfish and a big bull shark... <== kayak fishing, which because of my "robust" size had me sweating... I do not want to play with one of these in close quarters in fresh water.

The trail can be a cruel mistress, but if you pet her right she will give up her riches.

-Swordfish

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

I think, not for sure, but a good percetage of the crappy water the water fuggeruppers sent South form Lake 'O, down L67 and then East now when it hiits the Trail towards Krome and then South into the head waters of the Eastern Everglades under the Trail through the new flow vents...
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

keyds
Fisher

Post by keyds »

Tried my best on the trail a couple weeks ago, but I dont think the time is quite right yet - not warm enough. The massive amount of fresh water from Okeechobee coming through didn't help either.

Regardless, I still persevered and caught a couple of gar in a pond on the north side of the trail. Not the fish I wanted to catch, but fish nonetheless! Thanks for all the help everyone.

Return to “Freshwater Help and Info”