Go Early for Nice Fish!

Boatless Fishing reports for the Hillsborough County - Tampa Area - Also the countys of Citrus - Hernando - Pasco - Pinellas - Manatee - Sarasota - Desoto
Post Reply
Wadefisherman
Fisher
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:31 am

Go Early for Nice Fish!

Post by Wadefisherman »

Well I have been wade fishing the Sarasota, Venice, Port Charlotte areas for the last few weeks. Today was an awesome feeding frenzy that lasted about three hours, but I was on the water by 5:45 am. I got a 30 inch (at least) snook that was very front heavy. I fought it (actually worked up a sweat) for ten minutes in the dark. Of course the moon helped, but I am always thinking about the recent YouTube video where that bull shark came out of the water to eat the red. It makes it more exhilarating. Nonetheless, I caught a bunch of snook, trout, ladies, a nice blue, and a small jack. I think todays NE wind helped out since it has been from the west for awhile.

So my tips would be to fish early, because I have been catching my reds and nice snook before the sun comes up. I had a nice 28 inch red on Tuesday that hit my jig at about 6:00 am. I have been chasing a school of reds that is active chasing bait but when the sun starts coming up, they leave. I am catching snook the most, then trout, and if I am lucky I get a red. Most reds have been small. Occasionally I will see tarpon rolling, but that is more frequent at the inlets. I have fished the evenings, but I do not do as well.

User avatar
Green Tide
SHARKER
Posts: 2604
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:52 pm
Location: Monroe County wannabe

Re: Go Early for Nice Fish!

Post by Green Tide »

Sounds like a good fishing trip. I will be heading out early in the morning tomorrow and hope to have the same luck.
I saw the shark vid too. It was awesome. Not much on red fishing but you are on them. Now if you can keep up with the snook after august you will have a jackpot.
Image

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Wadefisherman
Fisher
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:31 am

Re: Go Early for Nice Fish!

Post by Wadefisherman »

Green Tide wrote:Sounds like a good fishing trip. I will be heading out early in the morning tomorrow and hope to have the same luck.
I saw the shark vid too. It was awesome. Not much on red fishing but you are on them. Now if you can keep up with the snook after august you will have a jackpot.
Hope you had some luck today. I got a 29 inch snook today. It took off very fast on its initial run and fought for long time. I thought it was a big red, but it was the big mouth snook. I caught it at about 615 in about 2 and 1/2 feet of water. Nice fish always make the early wake up worth it.

User avatar
Green Tide
SHARKER
Posts: 2604
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:52 pm
Location: Monroe County wannabe

Re: Go Early for Nice Fish!

Post by Green Tide »

For some reason the bait wasnt available today so it was good that I brought some with me. I did do well all in all. Will be going bug hunting in another 3 hrs, hope we load em up bully netting.
Image

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

User avatar
Bluefish in ny
GOLIATH GROUPER
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:11 am
Location: Former SE - Now Sarasota

Re: Go Early for Nice Fish!

Post by Bluefish in ny »

Good to see you reporting Joe!!! Awesome time fishing with you while you were here!!!!
My posts are just my opinion... Gathered from my research and my experiences in this passion we all share.. Dont hate if my opinion differs from yours... We all have opinions just like butt holes

Post Reply

Return to “Central West Florida”