ft de soto and south skyway

Boatless Fishing reports for the Hillsborough County - Tampa Area - Also the countys of Citrus - Hernando - Pasco - Pinellas - Manatee - Sarasota - Desoto
tears143
KING MACKEREL

ft de soto and south skyway

Post by tears143 »

Went to south skyway early in the morning to get some bait and free line a few of them bait to see if the snook are around. Nada, however I got a large spoted trout... 20"+. Then got to the fort before sunrise. Saw some fish busting up the fish on the beach. Ran there and threw my red/white plug. Bam, left and right... all ladyfish.. >.< If not that then I would get grass. Saw the action started going away from me... So I decided to go back to my car and grab the net for some bait. Got the net and got some bait. Every bait I would toss in there was getting eaten up by pinfish and or ladyfish. Then the action stop.

I went on the pier to scout a bit and decided to stay because I see a whole bunch of bait but no snook. Play around with arti's bait a bit. Caught a few flounder with a plastic shrimp.. first time catching anything with plastic shrimp. Also caught a trout with it. Back to the car again and pull out the net and bait bucket and everything. Got some bait and chum up the snapper. Easily got 4 and then it just stop. Also during this time, I would have people toss their bait a foot away in front of me(crossing my line every now a then... >.<)... They didn't really catch anything still... LOL hint**(metal leader, rigs... store bought stuff...)

Stayed there for a while because my brother decided to come fishing at 3pm... >.<

Meant up with him at south skyway... blazen hot. Jig a bit for pompano, but got tired of it fast because he wanted some action, so we went looking for greenies for the macks... didn't see any for the whole pier... wondering where did they went... decided to go after grouper. Got a few pin fish and drifted out to the reefs... got nada, except a few dolphin eating out bait... Went back to the fort in hope of some snook. From sunset to 10:30pm. I think I hook one snook but that's it... Wondering where the snook went. Seems like good tide and weather for the snook. Rough weather and a little dirty water for the snook but still got nothing.

So far Me VS Snook,

1 : 2

Not a bad record for me starting to try for snook.

ffishermen1
Seasoned Fisher

Re: ft de soto and south skyway

Post by ffishermen1 »

great report tears.

I will be out there this Saturday so hopefully something bites.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

great report bud

but im just saying the point/pass at the end of the park is where i like to fish for snook an reds n such
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

gruntking wrote:great report bud

but im just saying the point/pass at the end of the park is where i like to fish for snook an reds n such
Thanks for the tip! I'll probably try it soon!
That was my first choice but got my first keeper right there and only after a few casts... so I tended to flavor it... probably bad choice.

Wondering if I should hit SI this weekend or still stay here.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

yeahman when i lived in tampa i hated living there but the fishing was fantastic i use to love the catwalk on gandy johns pass for flounder the fort for almost everything else but i'll tell you i never spent much time on the skyway till recently
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Gandy catwalk is closed down... Or I would fish that like crazy!

Skyway is pretty good when they start biting.. you'll get anything and everything there. Just the cost of it is pretty crazy... $8 for a person with a car... I fish the small bridge outside of it for pompano instead. LOL

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

i lived up there like ten years ago
when johns pass use to have a catwalk aswell as gandy

8 bucks is a small price to pay for the comfort of fishing outthere thats just me i mean if we had drive on piers down here
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Return to “Central West Florida”