South Skyway Report 3/7

Boatless Fishing reports for the Hillsborough County - Tampa Area - Also the countys of Citrus - Hernando - Pasco - Pinellas - Manatee - Sarasota - Desoto
tears143
KING MACKEREL

South Skyway Report 3/7

Post by tears143 »

Got there around 4pm and found out that I do not like suffix performance braid with the way I tied braid into mono... Doesn't work because it's more like mono instead of braid. My knot keep on slipping, so I just use uni-uni knots. It works fine for this type of line.

On my third drop with the jigs... felt the line became non-existence... eh? Reel it up... noticed that the whole jig and everything is gone. Guess the macks are around woot! Tied another one and started jigging again and again... nothing... hhhmmm strayed mack I guess. Guy next to me packed up and told me, the pompano are not here yet because the water is still too cold. I was like ok... he's right but "Since, I am here already, I might as well try!" After a while bang! Fish on... rod is very flexible and with 10lbs test with 20lbs leader, I am not placing any pressure on the fish at all. Pull him to the surface, pompano! Foul hooked him on the top of his head.

Then I just keep on jigging and jigging. See a lot of people catching under size and some keeper sheephead. Quite of few of them are keeping them too! >.<
Right after I landed the pompano the FWC came. Did went around asking people but never really check all of the people and their ice box... She could have cited quite a few people if she did check carefully....

Well I keep on jigging and jiggin and jigging. Band another one on! This one is much bigger! I just took my time pulling it in slowly. What do you know... 16-19" macks! Tried to swing it onto the bridge.. rod too weak and it dropped back down and the mack cut the line. >.<

OOOO well. I switched to my 3k reel and 20lbs test with 30lbs leader. The first one was the 1k reel with 10lbs test that I was trying out with a 6'6 with no backbone.

Jigged some more and was able to landed a second Pompano!

When the sun was about to set, the ladyfish started to show up. Caught a few of those and a bunch of catfish as well. In the end, got my pompanos so I am happy. :)

I think I'll stick to my 3k reel... the 1k reel with 10lbs is not holding enough line... If anything, I can down size the line to 15# on my 3k reel.

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Re: South Skyway Report 3/7

Post by Leadslinger »

That sucks about the suffix. Found I had to double it when I tie an Alberto.

Nice pomps :)

Return to “Central West Florida”