relocated to Central Florida

Boatless Fishing reports for the Hillsborough County - Tampa Area - Also the countys of Citrus - Hernando - Pasco - Pinellas - Manatee - Sarasota - Desoto
phino
Seasoned Fisher

relocated to Central Florida

Post by phino »

hi all, i originally lived in South Florida but moved to Central Florida in November. i'm thinking about hitting up skyway and i'm really not too familiar with that bridge other than when the family goes crabbing there. i haven't fished that bridge seriously, just a few macks. but i wanted to know how is pompano fishing there? what's more affective? jigging or pompano rigs w/ sandfleas?

thanks in advanced and any advice regarding any fishing there would be appreciated as well as I need to re-educate myself to new fishing grounds.
"A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn’t know what a patient man she married!"

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: relocated to Central Florida

Post by fishnfool73 »

Fishing for them is good there. Jigs are what most use. Docs Goofy jigs were the norm there long before they showed up on the east coast piers. I know the small bridge and first few channels hold fish.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Jigs are the norm. The small bridge before SSP holds them but both skyway bridge hold them. They are near the beginning of the pier. You can catch them probably up to the first part of the pier that expands.

Pompano just went into their summer pattern and slowed down a lot two weeks ago. 4/18 and 4/19. I am the only one that caught a pompano at the small bridge. This past weekend was really slow, so that might be the case as well. I heard they moved up north a bit... probably at ft desoto now. I am going to hit that this weekend instead of skyway. If you want to fish together sometime on the weekend let me know.

phino
Seasoned Fisher

Post by phino »

fishnfool73 wrote:Fishing for them is good there. Jigs are what most use. Docs Goofy jigs were the norm there long before they showed up on the east coast piers. I know the small bridge and first few channels hold fish.
Thanks fishnfool73. i'l definitely give it a shot. i'll need to familiarize myself with the area there so i don't look like a googan nub fishing a wrong spot for the wrong species. hah
tears143 wrote:Jigs are the norm. The small bridge before SSP holds them but both skyway bridge hold them. They are near the beginning of the pier. You can catch them probably up to the first part of the pier that expands.

Pompano just went into their summer pattern and slowed down a lot two weeks ago. 4/18 and 4/19. I am the only one that caught a pompano at the small bridge. This past weekend was really slow, so that might be the case as well. I heard they moved up north a bit... probably at ft desoto now. I am going to hit that this weekend instead of skyway. If you want to fish together sometime on the weekend let me know.
yeah i was also thinking of going to ft. desoto to see how that's doing. appreciate the info very much! thanks!
"A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn’t know what a patient man she married!"

westcoast
Seasoned Fisher

Post by westcoast »

bro. i remember you from fishing the piers in South Florida. i also moved up to Tampa Bay area. let's meet up sometime, i've lived here for 2 years now so i can show you the ropes
California-Florida fisherman

Return to “Central West Florida”