SSP slow tide weekend

Boatless Fishing reports for the Hillsborough County - Tampa Area - Also the countys of Citrus - Hernando - Pasco - Pinellas - Manatee - Sarasota - Desoto
tears143
KING MACKEREL

SSP slow tide weekend

Post by tears143 »

Saturday I fished SSP a couple of hours in the morning and caught a few pompanos. Got 3 and only one of them is a keeper at 11". When the tide stopped, I went looking for bait. A few pods here and there... very hard to castnet and they keep on moving as well. Ended up with no bait. I ended up going to different bridges and started exploring the bay. Caught ladyfish, jacks, grunts, and a baby cobia. Tide is not moving which isn't good fishing.

Pompano has went into summer pattern. They have a small bite window in the morning, late afternoon, and near tide change.

Sunday I got there before sunrise and fished the bridge by myself. Didn't see any other pompano fisherman. Ended catching 4 of them... all under. The tide stopped moving and I then proceeded to go to my baitshop store to get some fiddler crabs. Went exploring a little as well to find bait for future trips when I needed certain type of bait. Found a spots with killifish/mud minnows and morrija. Those bait will be good for snapper and flounder in the future when I target them.

Went back to the bridge, the tide is still slow and it's about to change. Got a fiddler crab and drift it a bit and caught a nice 16" sheepie. Tide was about to change and I started jigging again and this guy came up.
Then later a another small one. Also caught a 10" snapper while trying for sheepies.

Not a bad day even though the tide is horrible!

Return to “Central West Florida”