Skyway Pier South Fishing Reports 2009 -10-11-12-13-14

Boatless Fishing reports for the Hillsborough County - Tampa Area - Also the countys of Citrus - Hernando - Pasco - Pinellas - Manatee - Sarasota - Desoto
james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Re: Skyway Pier South Fishing Reports 2008 - 2009

Post by james380 »

mmm Grouper sammich.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

Permit53
Old Salt

Post by Permit53 »

Took my old man to the Skyway pier for his second fishing trip of his life. I showed him how to float out pinfish for grouper and he is a quick learner.... He hung two keepers within 3 hours. One gag was 23 inches and the next was 22 inches and fat. He also managed to catch the biggest fish of the day and one himself a nice little bait pole provided by big mike. I on the other hand caught all the bait, rigged all the rods, and still got frayed off on 60lbs leader twice! oh well i am so glad my old man got hooked up with some nice fish, and hopefully this will be a pattern for hime to fish with me more often. other than that nothing else seeded to be bitting.
Fish like its the last cast you will ever make.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Permit53 wrote:Took my old man to the Skyway pier for his second fishing trip of his life. I showed him how to float out pinfish for grouper and he is a quick learner.... He hung two keepers within 3 hours. One gag was 23 inches and the next was 22 inches and fat. He also managed to catch the biggest fish of the day and one himself a nice little bait pole provided by big mike. I on the other hand caught all the bait, rigged all the rods, and still got frayed off on 60lbs leader twice! oh well i am so glad my old man got hooked up with some nice fish, and hopefully this will be a pattern for hime to fish with me more often. other than that nothing else seeded to be bitting.

cool report buddy ,that its awesome to fish ,you could go with car or truck to the spot.too bad its so far from me :( :(

Permit53
Old Salt

Post by Permit53 »

Fished NSP today.... not to bad. I got their at 4am and fished until 1pm. The tide was a very slow incoming the entire time... sucked, but managed to catch a keeper trout about 4lbs and a few short gags. The mack bit was hot with everyone trying catching their limits. The guy next to me hooked up to a keeper cobia at about 34" to the fork. Aside from that you could have walked on the bait out their they were so thick. Hoping to hit the pier up tomorrow again.

Permit53
Old Salt

Post by Permit53 »

Fished NSP today from 4am-1030am. Pretty steady amount of bait in the early morning (greenbacks, pins, and bluerunners) Caught a fat 24 inch gag around 7 when the tide was still moving. After the grouper catch the guy next to me hung a barley leagle cobia if legal at all, but he took a tape to it and said it was good. after that it got DEAD with no wind and a very faint out going tide. Bait showed back up as the tide turned to incoming, but no fish. all and all a good day to be out of the house...

Filletnrelease
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Filletnrelease »

Got out Friday before last to the SSP. Wanted to post a pic with the report but my camera batteries died while there and had to have my wife snap a pic Saturday morning. Just got the pic downloaded so here
goes.

Started out about the same as my last two trips, first bait out a 21" short, then a 20" and so on and so on. Caught Grouper pretty steady all day, incoming and outgoing. Bait was thick at times, sometimes deep though. Since I was only using Pins and Grunts, I never broke out the net.

The pier down by the Alley was not crowded at all and you could move around pretty easy.

Took a little break to shoot some pics, that's when the batteries died in the camera.

Moved around a lot, talked with Scooter and a couple others, finally decided to work my way past the bait house and out the gate. My last bait out gets slammed, this fish feels good, but so did the last five or six 21" plus heart breakers. He rocks me quick but I finally manage to pull it out and it's 23" plus, no tail pinch.

Well finally a keeper on my last bait in the well, hot, tired but happy, I left the Pier. Beautiful day on the water to say the least.

Filletnrelease
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Filletnrelease »

Oops, did not see the other post, thought I did something wrong and it did not go through.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

good job. :thumright:

Permit53
Old Salt

Post by Permit53 »

Took a trip last night from 7pm until 6am on the NSP in search of some shark bait and whatever else would bite. Bait was thick as usual, however when the tide slacked up and began to come in the snapper bite was nil and the sailcats ruled the pier. On the second turn of the tide I caught a few Ladyfish on bottom rigs, and then it happened around a 40lb cobe swam through the lights and thanks to the idiots yelling shark next to me followed by an air assault of googan rigs bombarding the fish... you can guess what happens... fish was GONE! :mad: After the excitement of the "shark" my eyes were peeled for the next cobe. About 20 minutes later two more swam through the lights and with no googans spotting them I tossed a live greenie in front of them. As I was closing the bail the bigger of the two hit with a speed I cannot describe. I was fishing with a 4/0 J hook and the fish took off while setting the hook on itself before I knew what was happening. I fought the fish which was probably about 25-30lbs for a minute until the hooked pulled out. Oh well sometimes you get them sometimes you don’t. I managed to get 8 nice cow rays for my future shark endeavors. All in all an ok night and without the cobe a terrible night.

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

Nice report. Next time cobia filet. Good Luck

snookmaster69
Fisher

Post by snookmaster69 »

no report from the skyway............anybody

snookmaster69
Fisher

Post by snookmaster69 »

Still no reports.What nobody fishing the brigde's :(

snookmaster69
Fisher

Post by snookmaster69 »

I guess nobody is fishing the skyway.I will be on the north pier on monday and tuesday maybe wensenday.I will give a report when I get back.Is anybody from the forum going to be there.I will be in a white ford f150 with a shark tag and a mermaid.Stop by and say hi. :reeling: :toast:

snookmaster69
Fisher

Post by snookmaster69 »

Fishing was good.Macks, trout, snappers, and groupers.If you never fished there you have to learn the way they fish that pier.Fished the north side for two day"s and fished the south side for one day.The south side is a s--t hole dirty.North side,they keep the bathrooms clean the tackle shop crew are good people and they clean the pier up.Will be going back at the end of October to catch some groupers and there is alot of bait at both piers.

chank
Seasoned Fisher

Post by chank »

South sides better if you know what your doing.

snookmaster69
Fisher

Post by snookmaster69 »

I did not say it was a bad place to fish it is a dirty pier.It reminds me of Pompano pier.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

chank wrote:South sides better if you know what your doing.
:stupid: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

chank
Seasoned Fisher

Post by chank »

Who says fishings supposed to be clean lol

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

Can anyone give me some info on the bait situation on skyway north and south. I plan on heading there Sat and catching a mass of bait for my tortugas trip comming up.

Filletnrelease
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Filletnrelease »

Bait has been somewhat hit or miss lately. Heard yesterday there was large schools around the North side. Green backs and Thread fins.

regulator70
Seasoned Fisher

Post by regulator70 »

tampa bay is dead. end of report :thumbdown:

bigboyjames11
Old Salt

Post by bigboyjames11 »

Anyone know when the cobia and kings show up to the skyway?
only the big and strong survive

Permit53
Old Salt

Post by Permit53 »

When I moved down here last year the cobia were there in June and as far as the kings went... Nov/Dec were pretty good months. I did hear about them coming in around sep, but i never whitenessed it myself.

Filletnrelease
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Filletnrelease »

Actually the Kings will hopefully be making their Spring run soon. Heard of a couple of runs last weekend. Macks are starting to run, on the small size now but as the bait shows up in numbers the big ones will move in. Pomps are starting to show up as well which should just get better in the next couple of months. Hopefully come April the Grouper will cooperate.

Permit53
Old Salt

Post by Permit53 »

Filet, Has anyone been doing good on pomps, and has anyone been finding any fleas around the beaches? just curious and i don't want any exact location just the beach will do. If you dont mind sharing. Thanks and if i find any fleas around i will post them.

Byron
Fisher

Post by Byron »

Went out last weekend. Saw some gags being caught at the end of the peir on cut bait. I got a few bites myself but nothing decided to stay for dinner.

The action picked up at slack tide around 8:30 PM. Lots of bait in the water.

Permit53
Old Salt

Post by Permit53 »

good deal. I know alot of people are pulling cobia off the bridges while tarpon fishing near the rock piles.

snookmaster69
Fisher

Post by snookmaster69 »

Any reports from the north or south bridge?

Return to “Central West Florida”