105 foot Yacht sinks off Anglens pier

This is area is for Boat Caught Fish reports and Pics, understanding that we sometimes fish on Boats please post this type of report and pics here
crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

105 foot Yacht sinks off Anglens pier

Post by crashmister »

This is wild! A 105 foot Yacht, Serena III, sunk off Lauderdale by the sea last night. All abord were
Rescued but the boat is in 4 thousand feet of water and a total loss. Thing was launched in 2013.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/13-rescued- ... les-coast/
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

kblue
SHARKER

Re: 105 foot Yacht sinks off Anglens pier

Post by kblue »

The size is 37M, which is 120ft...Super yacht class.
They said mechanical problem to be blamed but if a mechanical problem caused a vessel sunk, i think it is extremely bad design... crazy...

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

More important, who got the numbers for it? Could be a hot tilefish spot in a few years.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

It appears that CG video shows boat was already almost half sunk... big time water intrusion...maybe some kind of bottom crack gets bigger and bigger...It looks like metal boat...
serena iii.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

crashmister wrote:This is wild! A 105 foot Yacht, Serena III, sunk off Lauderdale by the sea last night. All abord were
Rescued but the boat is in 4 thousand feet of water and a total loss. Thing was launched in 2013.

It's a lot shallower then 4000 feet, probably in 900-1200 range...reports are it sank 13 miles offshore. Probably going to load up with wreckfish, barrelfish and maybe some deepwater grouper like mystics. Whoever has those numbers is lucky, lol.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

I got the last number but not sure if that's where it went down

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

26.22984 N / 79.88135 W on Jan 26, 2016 at 00:30 UTC.

Puts it more on the Pompano side.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?mmsi=710000658

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Very good rare...folks! that's the location for our next deep drop fishing...hit and miss... :reeling:

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Jewish Lightening for sure. Happens all the time when you get tired of a stupid toy and you're looking to recoup.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:
crashmister wrote:This is wild! A 105 foot Yacht, Serena III, sunk off Lauderdale by the sea last night. All abord were

It's a lot shallower then 4000 feet, probably in 900-1200 range...reports are it sank 13 miles offshore. Probably going to load up with wreckfish, barrelfish and maybe some deepwater grouper like mystics. Whoever has those numbers is lucky, lol.
Thought that was fathoms, no?

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

No, feet. I don't think it gets to 4000 feet anywhere between South FL and the Bahamas. Most places in the middle of the gulfstream is 2500-2800 tops.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Its funny how stories, speculation, change and take on meanings of their own...
I heard it was in 1200 feet, and perhaps the captain hit hard/ground bottom on the way out PE which is not easy to do if he was paying attention.

A 120 boat on the bottom in 1200 feet is just another bump, who the hell bottom fishes in 1200 feet ?
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Lots of interesting and tasty fish in 1200 feet. Just gotta have the right gear to fish it.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

krash wrote:Its funny how stories, speculation, change and take on meanings of their own...
Yes, that is all part of fun...
krash wrote:perhaps the captain hit hard/ground bottom on the way out PE which is not easy to do if he was paying attention
If that were the case, all of passengers and crews should've heard a big scratch noise... specially for metal boat...

When I was a shipyard to install antenna, I recalled a disastrous test run of oil seismic/drilling boat($300M)... The installer forgot the mounting bolts somewhere on gigantic high-tech generator... when they turn it on, a whole generator block start to rotate...and they also realized the installer forgot to install emergency stop... lol
krash wrote:A 120 boat on the bottom in 1200 feet is just another bump, who the hell bottom fishes in 1200 feet ?
If it were the other way around, it would've been even better (1200 ft boat sunk in 120 ft water)...lol
I am guessing electric reel with 40LB braid and 3LB weight would hit the bottom...Make sure battery is fully charged...

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:No, feet. I don't think it gets to 4000 feet anywhere between South FL and the Bahamas. Most places in the middle of the gulfstream is 2500-2800 tops.
Well if they we 13 nm out, they were past the GS.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forecasts ... .KMFL.html

My charts are in fathoms so not sure where they got the depth from.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

That report is for the west wall of the gulf stream (i.e. the beginning of it).

I should rephrase, I don't think it gets deeper then 2800 feet anywhere on the crossing between South FL and the Bahamas, at least from every chart I've ever seen. 1 fathom = 6 feet, so it's easy to convert. I've done a lot of daytime swordfishing 10-15 miles offshore and it's usually in the 1000-1400 range out there.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Based on 26.22984 N / 79.88135 W on Jan 26, 2016 at 00:30 UTC.
serena iii sunk location.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

That 1200' wall/drop is kind of where the day-time sword guys hang out.... its pretty much where many guys troll, its away from most of the goons.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Same here Rory. Thought there was a drop off I didn't know about, but now they're saying 1200'. Talked to some "yachties" and still no clue. Apparently they first they knew of a problem was when bilge alarms started sounding. With water coming in faster than they could pump out, that had to be one B I G leak. CG is still investigating but are considering grounding as a possibility.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

CG should also be checking insurance fraud...

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

I wonder if the trip began with a fishing reel falling overboard in the icw. A seasoned captain would have noticed the subtleties of water intrusion long before it was too late (yes I have been there a couple of times). This would especially be true if you even suspected you just scrubbed bottom.
I liked the idea of the 1200 footer in 120 :pistols: :pistols: :pistols:

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:CG should also be checking insurance fraud...
Green Tide wrote:I wonder if the trip began with a fishing reel falling overboard in the icw. A seasoned captain would have noticed the subtleties of water intrusion long before it was too late (yes I have been there a couple of times). This would especially be true if you even suspected you just scrubbed bottom.
Whole lotta WTF around this one guys. You bottom a steel hull, it sounds like a gong through the ship. Hard to believe no one noticed anything. John makes a great point that actually shores up your theory Rory. If it was insured. Never know.
Wonder how far it traveled under water? In the current she could have gone quite a ways before she hit bottom depending on how fast she was sinking vertically.

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

crashmister wrote:
PhishingPhanatic wrote:CG should also be checking insurance fraud...
Green Tide wrote:I wonder if the trip began with a fishing reel falling overboard in the icw. A seasoned captain would have noticed the subtleties of water intrusion long before it was too late (yes I have been there a couple of times). This would especially be true if you even suspected you just scrubbed bottom.
Whole lotta WTF around this one guys. You bottom a steel hull, it sounds like a gong through the ship. Hard to believe no one noticed anything. John makes a great point that actually shores up your theory Rory. If it was insured. Never know.
Wonder how far it traveled under water? In the current she could have gone quite a ways before she hit bottom depending on how fast she was sinking vertically.
Watched a documentary a while back with ships sunk during war times. There was one that was a freighter and had one canon for defense. It sunk somewhere out of Miami but it lays now off Saint Lucie. Talking bout current huh
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Are you kidding? Without hitting something and tearing the bottom out? Boats don't sink fast. I tried once to scuttle one once and it took forever before we gave up. As stated..... Jewish Lightening for sure.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Miami to St Lucie...that is called gulf stream...

When ship sinks, it rolls upside down and lots of air bubbles trapped... unless sunk purposely to create the artificial wreck ...
In case of Serena III, it had a big water intrusion at bottom so that most air may escape and it may not drift too far...

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Din't they say the Titanic was unsinkable

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

krash wrote:Din't they say the Titanic was unsinkable
Yes, without looking google, I think it consisted of many air-isolated "chambers"...so they believed it was unsinkable in theory...probably they might also build ship light.. but ice burg scratched side way and made holes on most "chambers"... so sunk... a lot of lessons learned from this...probably hull thickness changed big time...
It was before international standard which continuously changes after any lessons learned...
I don't know if there is any enforceable international std applicable to building super yacht... probably not.
I believe if Serena III were built in EU, it would've been very different... What country the shipyard is located may make a big difference...and price of course.
If the cause of problem turned out to be faulty built, Brazilian Shipyard and inspecting company would be done for business building super yacht...
I am sure entire super/mega yacht community would be talking about this...

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Since Yacht are the subject..... (tommy
Billionaire Paul Allen has given millions of dollars to conservation causes over the years, including ones that support ocean exploration and preservation. But earlier this month, his 300-foot yacht Tatoosh allegedly caused significant damage to a protected coral reef in the Cayman Islands.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016 ... oral-reef/

Return to “Boat Reports and Pics for EVERYWHERE”