Juno Pier

(Date your Titles) This area is so Members can post the area they may be fishing if it is a public place, "don't post private spots" and other members can fish on by. They could also PM you to keep it not so loud.
1guy1rod
Fisher

Juno Pier

Post by 1guy1rod »

First, you guys have been alot of help. I still have not caught that elusive snook but I will keep trying. The last few times I have gone to the pier I have been trying a trolley rig off the tee. I had one hook up. I think it was a king but it chewed my line off. I was using 30lb fluorocarbon. I will use a wire leader next time.

Here is my question, I have some guests coming the end of June and I will try and catch bait for snook and King but I really want to bring home something to eat. I have noticed people catching lookdowns ( i read that they are good to eat) and I see alot of people catching what looks like a small small mouth bass and scaling them at the pier. All this seems to happen around and before the first covered area. I am thinking small hooks with a small piece of cut shrimp or some larger sabiki rigs. What are the fish ppl are scaling and are they good to eat? Any other ideas how I could put some fish in the cooler.

What about the sheephead? Is there a time a place to target them?

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated,

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Juno Pier

Post by fishnfool73 »

Your bass looking fish may be black sea bass or tripletail.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

prob croakers

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

1guy1rod wrote:I have noticed people catching lookdowns ( i read that they are good to eat)
They are great to eat, just use small hooks and bits of shrimp. Gut them, put them in your toaster, and when nice and brown spread some butter and a sprinkle of lemon. They taste real great.

J/K on the toaster, pan fry them.

For the snook, fish the same way as for lookdowns but for croackers, they kind of look like small redfish but are completely silver. You can catch them near the shore where the waves brake. use the croackers as bait, snook love them. Or just pay Captain Joe (gruntking) to teach you how to use flares.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Lookdowns may be good baits for PR... It has a little tough skin and silver color...

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Tried it, no good, need oily baits there.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Good to know

1guy1rod
Fisher

Post by 1guy1rod »

Thanks guys.

Return to “Where are you fishin'?”