New here in south florida

This is the area where you may introduce yourself and let others know a little about you.
AndrewP671
Fisher

New here in south florida

Post by AndrewP671 »

Hi everyone, I just moved to homestead Florida recently and i am really interested in knowing where decent fishing locations are and what are the preferred methods of fishing. I'm looking forward to you guys help. thank you very much! :reeling: :happyfisherman:

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: New here in south florida

Post by krash »

You have easy access to S. Biscayne Bay, Flamingo, and the upper Keys plus lots of fresh water ponds, canals, and lakes.

What type fishing are you interested in, and what type equipment will you use.. Do you have boat, canoe, kayak, SUP, or strictly foot patrol.

If you are living in any community with canal, pond, lakes.. its an easy start there. Grab a spinning, or bait cast, setup and start casting Rapala X-raps in black/Silver or Black/Gold is always a good choice to start with. Jump on Google Earth and start looking around your area, if you see water and a place to park without being towed, start casting. West of US1 should be fresh, East could be fresh, brackish, or salty.

I just picked up and read, (and I;m not a very good reader), a book called "The Ultimate Guide to Fishing South Florida on Foot" by Steve Kantner (The Land Captain)... its not a long book but is very to the point about fishing the South Florida area from Coast to Coast. MPO is anyone with the will power to read, then do a little research should be able to find and catch fish....
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

BonFireBob
Fisher

Post by BonFireBob »

krash wrote:You have easy access to S. Biscayne Bay, Flamingo, and the upper Keys plus lots of fresh water ponds, canals, and lakes.

What type fishing are you interested in, and what type equipment will you use.. Do you have boat, canoe, kayak, SUP, or strictly foot patrol.

If you are living in any community with canal, pond, lakes.. its an easy start there. Grab a spinning, or bait cast, setup and start casting Rapala X-raps in black/Silver or Black/Gold is always a good choice to start with. Jump on Google Earth and start looking around your area, if you see water and a place to park without being towed, start casting. West of US1 should be fresh, East could be fresh, brackish, or salty.

I just picked up and read, (and I;m not a very good reader), a book called "The Ultimate Guide to Fishing South Florida on Foot" by Steve Kantner (The Land Captain)... its not a long book but is very to the point about fishing the South Florida area from Coast to Coast. MPO is anyone with the will power to read, then do a little research should be able to find and catch fish....
yes! I would start at a pond - seems like it's the best way for a lot of people to start their fishing adventure. Didnøt know about the book by Steve Kantner, there might be other books like that written for other states?
My name is Bob and I really like spending a lot of time fishing for carp, catfish, eal etc. in på spare time. I share my thoughts and experience at my outdoor blog. Feel free to write me if you are interessed in hearing more about my experience :-)

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

I also have a book I purchased years ago for my son and found it long after he moved out, its very inforamtive about Paecock Bass fishing "South Florida Peacock Bass" wrttten by Carlos Hildago, its mostly B&W but shows and identifies all the popular public canals.. how and where to fishn for them. A lot has changed since this book was written, but the Peacock information has not.

With these 2 books a person could do a little GE reasearch, take a few short drives, pick up a rod and a couple lures and should be set for years.

Recently Steve kantner released a new book called "Back Counrty Flies", that is mainly focused on Flies, sort follows the same steps as the previous book, tracking the 4 main areas across South Florida. Has lots of information about various flies used for the species he has encountered.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

Return to “Who are you? Introduce yourself here:”