The $100 trip to islamorada a $400 trip

Boatless Fishing Reports for Monroe County, Florida Keys
Post Reply
User avatar
Kerato
Seasoned Fisher
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:26 pm
Location: Miami

The $100 trip to islamorada a $400 trip

Post by Kerato »

Went fishing yesterday (7-21-12) with my brother in law whose Jamaican and my uncle down to islamorada fishing at Tea Table Key. Everything was going according to plan we had made it to tea table at 8am and started getting lines in the water until the unthinkable happened...the rod that my grandfather passed down to me that as a sign of good will I allowed the in law to use went flying into the sea and me following suit I swam roughly 25 feet before I had to swim back because I could feel the current pulling me. I get back to shore ready not knowing to start balling or :pistols: but I just let it go and kept fishing. But after 15 minutes of stewing I finally hooked into a decent fish but he had bit my bait (big pin fish) in half leaving just the head,this happened 5 times and it's always the head that is left. We were using live shrimp and squid which both produced good mangrove between 13-15 and a few mutt and groupers that were to small to keep so back they went. The tide started going out at around 2:30 and I called it a day because after hearing a bunch of whining and after spending a $100 on a trip that I funded myself and losing something of great sentimental value I couldn't stomach hearing or looking at that man any longer...the fish were there we just weren't catching them ...I think take I niece to black point the same day to jig for her favorite fish(mangroves) under the bridge.Image
Image

User avatar
PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA
Posts: 6785
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 pm
Location: 204 Miles From Long Key

Re: The $100 trip to islamorada a $400 trip

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Man sorry to hear about your rod, that sucks. He probably feels worse about it then you do.
Image

User avatar
PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA
Posts: 6785
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 pm
Location: 204 Miles From Long Key

Re: The $100 trip to islamorada a $400 trip

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

strizile wrote:Yea he sure would.

2 trips ago I accidentally hooked Rorys rod with a Saragossa on it. """ @ Rory It is a Saragossa right?"""

Well long story short I can tell you that a Saragossa with a 7' or so foot rod can go 50 foot easy not to forget the 10 or so foot down into the drink.

I was lucky.

Was hooked so good I reeled it right back in without a scratch.

I would have felt seriously bad about that and embarrassed.

You made a good trip out of it and that is all that counts.
That was my Sustain 3000. I put a few drops of oil in the maintenance port when I got home, and it is like new.
Image

User avatar
Kerato
Seasoned Fisher
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:26 pm
Location: Miami

Re: The $100 trip to islamorada a $400 trip

Post by Kerato »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:Man sorry to hear about your rod, that sucks. He probably feels worse about it then you do.

He didn't even apologize or anything and had the gall to try and say it's my fault for letting him use it...glad you were able to get yours' back.
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Monroe County”