Dry Tortugas

Boatless Fishing Reports for Monroe County, Florida Keys
Leadslinger
Old Salt

Re: Dry Tortugas

Post by Leadslinger »

She's a beaut bro!! Get it dialed in I'll keep scoping the place out.

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Went and caught some of these after work yesterday

And these

Ended up with this

Freelined cut pilchard and ballyhoo on a 2/0 Demon Wire in shallow water at first then it got busy with the homemade chum bringing them in hungry...couldn't even sit the rod down til it was going off again. Lot of the tails we caught last night flew in the face of current logic of leader shy etc etc. Wire, heavy mono, 7/0, hell I reckon if you could get a log chain back there they'd eat it too.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Only in the Tugas son.... Hellacious night! This is a good measure of the fish starting to eat by the way... I may head out tonite for a couple hours!

-swordfish

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

We're heading over to a very promising looking area off the beaten path tonight, should be a grouper bonanza if we're lucky.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

i'll see you in a couple of weeks

is the bird island closed ?
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Yes its closed...isn't always?. 2 weeks ago 4 to 5 Cubanos made it there and started a fire...lol

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Fort Jefferson 5/24/14

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

How far away do you have to be to fish from a boat ? I was under the impression that thhe surronding area was all marine sanctuary.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Chris, we were setting up the grill before sundown and we slept on the boat till morning. All the boat you see there are just folks sleeping in or eating.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

When anchor there I saw what looked to be a caterpillar/slug in the water swimming on top. (should have taken pics) A few muttons we caught after that morning were spitting them out.... It looked to be like good bait. :mrgreen: Also found big eels and plenty of crabs in red grouper & muttons.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Sorry RARE was asking LEADSLINGER how far he is going away .
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

gruntking wrote:i'll see you in a couple of weeks

is the bird island closed ?
Bring a pizza! It's still closed, bunch of turtle nest over there now. You couldn't pay me to go over there. Cackling birds...I can hear them in my apartment at night. :auto: :scold:

Rare, you should have come and said hi. It was 31 cubans...31!

Fishn, there's a one mile historical use area around Garden Key, otherwise you have to head outside the park on this side, which isn't a far run but we don't go that far due to time and fuel. Later in the summer we will slip out a little farther when it's flat calm.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

31! Were they the same one who made the Bonfire?I saw the rock pile rocks the made to sit down on when we were catching bait.

Them birds are something else.....I thought when night fell that they will stop but all night they were chirping, gurgling croak & high pitch all night till the morning & still going. It was white noise to me so i fall asleep fast. lol

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Been a little slack on posting here lately, so here's a catch up post.

The mutton bite around the fort has been slow, but out away, especially around Pulaski it's been killer. Had some guys out recently that killed them. Topping out at 18-19lbs...that ain't mutton to complain about. The grouper bite has been decent, except for the last time out. Got a 26 inch red on the first drop and then nothing. Fished in about 35' of water using cut ballyhoo. Saturday evening we went out and with 3 on board we limited out in short order, 21-25" reds and multiple strawberry. Sharks have really moved in lately which is a bit of a pain. The porgie bite has also picked up, if you like porgie then the time is now. Yellowtailing has been good, flat lining or dropping, doesn't matter. Several days ago you couldn't get a bait to the bottom without picking off a tail. A pretty good thing to complain about, but I don't care for tails too much unless I'm on light tackle. Haven't been out in two/three days with some weather and guest that don't do well on small boats in a chop :pale:

Grovers and Jacks are hot around the dock, pitch a few small pieces out, or some silversides, then drop in behind it and catch all you want. Size has been a little short, 12-14" being the most common.

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Took advantage of the flat calm conditions yesterday and ran a little south of the park for some scouting. Ran a string of numbers going east west looking for muttons and grouper. Found em! Using whole dead dines, the grouper below was a bit annoying as he broke us off twice, and judging from the plethora of tackle in his mouth we weren't the first victims. Reds, few blacks that were a little undersized and some muttons, not a bad haul, 3 grouper and a mutton to introduce to some hot oil :chef:

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

"Plethora of tackle"!!!!!!!! Wow. Definitely a welcome and grammatical upgrade for our simple forum. Great fish bud. Keep the reports coming 'slinger' I'm living vicariously through you.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Went out last night to a spot in about 90' that holds some AJ's to do a little vertical jigging, mother nature had other plans as the current was screaming. On to plan B. Tied on some lead about the size of a Buick, and dropped down for some bottom fishing. Even with 7-9 oz it was strung out behind the boat like a flatline...next stop Cuba lol.

Brought in a few short gags and blacks, and a few keeper red grouper, but I've got 3 bags of red grouper in the freezer at home so those went back to grow some more. Switched over and did some tailing, in quick order I had a limit of 16-20" tails. Water has been flat calm lately, the mangrove bite around the dock has been insane since the moon got almost full, some bigger fellas have moved in. Caught a mess of them three nights ago on 1/8th oz jigs tipped with FishBites shrimp. Snook and Tarpon are thick around there as well, live bait being about the only thing they're interested in. They put on quite a show around the docks when they go to busting bait. Had some good size threadfin herring around the dock recently, netted up a big bag of those.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Awesome! There are still some people who believe you cannot catch snook out there. Catch a little grunt, pitch it in there and send us a pic of a snookum! I should have given you a hawk! I BETCHA they will work over there at night! Remind me next time! I would LOVE to see the hawk catch fish out there!

-Swordfish

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Staying there you will not run out of fish in the freezer. Nice catching man :toast:

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Lol I've got a Hawk, just hesitant to throw it. Snook are under the dock and I know as soon as I drag past a piling it'll get nailed and taken to watery grave. Of course I do have a fleet of kayaks to paddle out and change my angle...hmm :biglaugh: You still wanna head over to Everglades in a few days?

Cuda it's not a bad spot to keep the supply stocked. Debating a Yuri trip with a coworker, but our days off island are limited.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Yeah bud. I am thinking like an evening of bug bites and FISH! Hopefully right after a nasty storm! Ill head over straight from work. I hear they are on the chew BIG time! Well talk as we get closer. Up your tackle... I fish hawks on 65 lb power pro JUST cuz of that, I fish VERY close to the bridge and have to rip the fish out or get rocked. I have had to "walk" a few round a pylon or two.

-Swordfish

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Well, if you get a chance go with Yuri. At times you'll find he is not that far from where you are. I wonder if you could see their lights and the Yankee Capts lights from the Fort at night.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

i canceled my last trip last minute but i have another trip to the island in oct cant wait bro
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Joe, are you going on the Ferry? Do you know if they let you transport a kayak on it?

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

cudaman wrote:Joe, are you going on the Ferry? Do you know if they let you transport a kayak on it?
They do and yes, think it's 20-40 for a yak.

Every now and then you can see some very bright lights off in the distance, mainly to the South and Southeast. I'll be sending you a message once we decide on when we want to go on the Capts.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Sounds good man and thanks for the info :toast:

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Hey Leadslinger, what kind of job do you have, that you get to be stationed in the Dry Tortugas? Sounds like an awesome gig! Btw, thanks for referring to it properly as "Dry Tortugas" instead of "tugas".

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Wow, the Google Maps crew has really done a great job of photographing Dry Tortugas National Park. I was able to "virtually" walk around the entire perimeter of the fort. Looks like the fishing there, even from shore, must be awesome, (although no doubt prohibited). I feel like one day, when I finally get to go there, I'll totally know the place already! :toast:

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

They re used to be some cool underwater streaming webcams from there i dont know if they are still running or not. So many fish right there....

Return to “Monroe County”