How often do you change your hooks?

Boatless Fishing Reports for Monroe County, Florida Keys
xtremeh18
Old Salt

How often do you change your hooks?

Post by xtremeh18 »

I usually change out my hooks every time I fish. Meaning at the end of a fishing day I'll toss the hooks that I used multiple times that day. Is this too extreme? Should I fish with them longer? The reason I change them after every trip is cause I like to keep them sharp and rust free. How often do you guys change out your hooks?

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Re: How often do you change your hooks?

Post by gruntking »

i try to fish a hook till i loose it or it just falls apart i mean seriously if it takes me 20 to put a point on it with a file its just what i have to do
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

The only hooks I throw away at the end of the day are sabiki size. Everything else is rinsed and reused.

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

The only hooks I've tossed are 'bikis. Out of the six on the rig, I usually lose 2 or 3 while I'm catchin' whatever I'm catching. But, I love fishing 'bikis on my ultra light. I've caught more that way than on my bigger rods. Even got a 12 inch hog on the second 'biki hook from the swivel. Sweet!
Those other fish must be smart. We caught all the stupid ones!

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Depends......if catching permit, I cut the hook and toss it in the ocean. It's a spiritual thing don't expect you guys to understand.

Every other fish, a few times till I don't feel the edge on it no more. I don't take the hooks back...trash can and done with them.

Sabiki, I leave near an area where others can use it if they forgot to bring. Sorry if you were snagged on my rig...I meant it in good faith.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I use high quality carbon-steel hooks and always wash them with fresh water and put them on paper towel and dry completely... Carbon steel hooks are intended to get rust away easily in case hook left on fish's mouth...And if you don't wash and dry them, they will rust quickly... Sometime, your tackle box has to be washed if wet by salt water...

phillybass71
BOATLESS FISHING Honorary Guide

Post by phillybass71 »

I usually keep using them unless they start to rust. Throw biki's away they usually just cause a tangled mess. :happyfisherman:
Plz put back the small ones.

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

Rare wrote:Sabiki, I leave near an area where others can use it if they forgot to bring. Sorry if you were snagged on my rig...I meant it in good faith.
It's funny you say that, once at Long Key I found a Sabiki near the railing and I was so excited like if I had found gold! lol :uplol:

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Yes, that's why I do it. Sabiki are always last on the list and I always think I have a few in there.... When you forget you are not a happy camper. At times I will leave the lead with it as well.

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

The one I found had the lead attached to it. So, if the one I found was yours???..... I thank you Sir, and it was put to good use! :toast:

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Hey Rare you one cool cat hermano :toast:

ahaga09
Fisher

Post by ahaga09 »

Any preference for rod length when fishing from the bridges? I was thinking a 8-9' medium action would work...or do yall think it needs to be medium-heavy? Thanks for your time again

-tight lines

ahaga09
Fisher

Post by ahaga09 »

Oops, posted under wrong topic...

Return to “Monroe County”