Which regulations to follow? & Rod and Reel setup

Boatless Fishing Reports for Monroe County, Florida Keys
ahaga09
Fisher

Which regulations to follow? & Rod and Reel setup

Post by ahaga09 »

Hey guys,
New to the forum here...My wife and I are coming to the Keys the 2nd week of June. I am wanting to catch some snappers/groupers to stink up a pan if you catch my drift. I was wondering what regulations you are suppose to go by when fishing from the bridges such as Channell 2 and 5 (gulf or atlantic?). I also would like some help with rod and reel setup as I have not fished for snappers/groupers before. Most of my saltwater experience is with inshore fishing the Carolina's (flounder, reds, and trout). Would a shimano 4000 be enough reel? Also, what size/spec rod would you pair with it?...I will also be bringing a 2500 (bait) and triton casting reel. Sorry for the long post and all the questions...thank you for your time and consideration

-tight lines

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Which regulations to follow? & Rod and Reel setup

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Monroe County follows the Atlantic fishing regulations.

4000 reel is light, unless you're going to be fishing the pilons for mangrove snapper.

And I wouldn't go down there with any expectations of bringing home any keeper grouper from the bridges. They are few and far between.

ahaga09
Fisher

Post by ahaga09 »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:Monroe County follows the Atlantic fishing regulations.

4000 reel is light, unless you're going to be fishing the pilons for mangrove snapper.

And I wouldn't go down there with any expectations of bringing home any keeper grouper from the bridges. They are few and far between.

Thank you for your response...I didnt think the bigger grouper would be there...I would ideally like to catch a limit of snappers....so would a 4000 be ok for that? Would I need a net to bring them up? Thanks again for your help...any advice for rigs? Up here i usually use an egg sinker (w/ bead) to a swivel with a leader (carolina rig) using mullet, shrimp, or cut...is that similar to what yall use there?

Sorry again for all the questions...newbie trying to learn

-tight line

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1045

Here's a great place to start.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

The best advice I have for someone casually fishing the bridges that just wants to catch a few fish for dinner, is to get a few dozen live shrimp (the biggest you can find), a medium spinner, and some trollrite jigheads (available at any tackle store), in a couple sizes. Travel light, and fish the calm water on the pilings straight down. Keep your bail open and let the shrimp drift naturally, and watch for the smallest movement in your line. I use a 4000 reel with straight 12 lb mono for this, sometimes I use a 20 lb flouro leader but usually not.

Keep trying different pilings until you find one that has keeper-sized mangroves on it, once you catch one, you'll usually get a few more from the same piling before they get smart. You won't get many huge ones doing this, but usually can get a limit of 12-16" fish within an hour or two, if you move around enough. If you're getting your shrimp pecked in half, move to a different piling, it's either small snapper or other reef fish. The bigger ones will eat the whole thing.

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

for fish under 16 inches and a good rod you dont need a net, but if you are using an inshore or weak rod you could break it flipping them. With 20 or 30lb leader i never need a net unless its a 20" fish really

ahaga09
Fisher

Post by ahaga09 »

Thanks guys for the great information...I will def check out that link you sent me...any advice on a two piece rod that travels well? All mine are 1 piece and we are flying down so baggage is an issue plus we are getting a small suv rental...thanks again and keep the advice coming

-tight lines

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Just buy a cheapo and bass pro and throw your reel in a suitcass unless you re going to use 2 pc and biscuit back where you live

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

2 pc and biscuit?

sounds like a KFC special 8)

StoneJackBaller
Seasoned Fisher

Post by StoneJackBaller »

I heard this thread had a 2pc and a biscuit.
We're sorry to kill you, Brother. Forgive us. I do honor to your courage, and speed, your strength...

Herbivores ate well cause their food didn't never run

ahaga09
Fisher

Post by ahaga09 »

Two piece and a biscuit??? Yall guys got me on that one...no clue what you mean haha...I do plan on using the rod again for my trips to the Carolina's

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

:biglaugh: Saltydog was probably posting from a mobile device and it must've tried to auto correct a misspelled ''bring'' with ''biscuit''. I think he meant to type "use 2 pc and bring back where you live".

If you think you can pack a 2 piece rod with the luggage, it would probably be the best option.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

i liked my St Croix 2 pc before I broke it...

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

kblue wrote:i liked my St Croix 1 pc before I broke it...
Yes, blue, but now its 2 pc :toast:

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Rare wrote:
kblue wrote:i liked my St Croix 1 pc before I broke it...
Yes, blue, but now its 2 pc :toast:
3 pc lol

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

No i meant 2 pc and a biscuit........ Paulie :lol: just what i call 2pc rods ask kblue the reel is the biscuit (tommy im hungry

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

On that highstick day, I brought my 3 pc and a biscuit where I live...lol

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

SaltyDog wrote:No i meant 2 pc and a biscuit........ Paulie :lol: just what i call 2pc rods ask kblue the reel is the biscuit (tommy im hungry

Dang Scotty

Munchies found me again 2 LMFAO Image
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

LOL Ron sour d

ahaga09
Fisher

Post by ahaga09 »

Any preference for rod length when fishing from the bridges? I was thinking a 8-9' medium action would work...or do yall think it needs to be medium-heavy? Thanks for your time again

-tight lines

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

ahaga09 wrote:Any preference for rod length when fishing from the bridges? I was thinking a 8-9' medium action would work...or do yall think it needs to be medium-heavy? Thanks for your time again

-tight lines
I think med is good for snapper... it may be hard to find 2pc less than 8'

ahaga09
Fisher

Post by ahaga09 »

So I picked up a shimano socorro 8000 for a steal and was thinking of pairing it with a 9' sea striker beach runner...Has anyone had experience with the beach runner surf/spin rods? Thanks again for all your help yall are a great group of guys on here and I can't wait to get down there in June.

-tight lines

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

ahaga09 wrote:So I picked up a shimano socorro 8000 for a steal and was thinking of pairing it with a 9' sea striker beach runner...Has anyone had experience with the beach runner surf/spin rods? Thanks again for all your help yall are a great group of guys on here and I can't wait to get down there in June.

-tight lines
i love the beach runners on miami beach....but they're usually 5'3-5'9....and made in south america....no complaints thought...

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

Lol moose I agree

ahaga09
Fisher

Post by ahaga09 »

[/quote]i love the beach runners on miami beach....but they're usually 5'3-5'9....and made in south america....no complaints thought...[/quote]

haha I hear ya...would a 9' surf rod be good enough to use from the bridges?

Return to “Monroe County”