Shore or Pier Fishing in Key Largo

Boatless Fishing Reports for Monroe County, Florida Keys
ahaga09
Fisher

Shore or Pier Fishing in Key Largo

Post by ahaga09 »

Hey guys,
It's me again...counting down the days until our trip to the keys...We are staying in Key Largo and were wondering if their were any piers or places to fish from shore that would produce some keeper mangroves etc in Key Largo..I have looked on google maps but didn't really see bridges or overpasses to fish from. The place we are staying at (on the gulf side) has a very small dock but not sure of fishing there. Thank you for your time and consideration

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Re: Shore or Pier Fishing in Key Largo

Post by Moose »

There are some great opportunities just a little south of you. If you'll be there during the week there won't be much traffic I the fishing bridges at all. Try channel 2 or 5 with live shrimp and you should catch something.

If you can swing it and the weather cooperates, you should look into Chan's gulfstream. They have day trips and you WILL catch fish. Again weekdays are easier for everything in the keys.

When will you be down there?

ahaga09
Fisher

Post by ahaga09 »

Thanks for the advice...I planned on hitting a few of the bridges while we were down there I was just wondering if there was anything closer since we are staying in Key Largo. We will be down the second week of June (mon. thru fri.) Thanks again for your help

-tight lines

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Here is some info that might help you decide what bridge or area to fish from land near Key Largo.

http://cudamanadventures.com/fishing-th ... -pictures/

ahaga09
Fisher

Post by ahaga09 »

cudaman wrote:Here is some info that might help you decide what bridge or area to fish from land near Key Largo.

http://cudamanadventures.com/fishing-th ... -pictures/
Wow, thanks Cudaman. That is an awesome source...So how would you fish the Jewfish Creek Bridge? On one side you have the yacht club and the other you showed the No Fishing signs...is the Gilbert's side all "No Fishing" or are there places where you are allowed to fish? Thanks again for the great help

-tight lines

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

You're welcome. At Jewfish creek, you don't fish from the actual bridge but from under it You can fish from the shore and from the footings of the bridge as you can see on the pictures. People fish from the other side all the time, the police will show up every now and then but it's usually when loud music or someone complains. Good luck!

ahaga09
Fisher

Post by ahaga09 »

cudaman wrote:You're welcome. At Jewfish creek, you don't fish from the actual bridge but from under it You can fish from the shore and from the footings of the bridge as you can see on the pictures. People fish from the other side all the time, the police will show up every now and then but it's usually when loud music or someone complains. Good luck!
I pulled up the streetview on google earth but I didnt see where the no fishing signs were...There seems to be a nice pylon to fish off of on the gilbert's side. Thanks for the info...any other advice is appreciated

-tight lines

big red
Seasoned Fisher

Post by big red »

Bring lots of bug spray. They will eat you alive around June,fishing under the Jewfish Creek bridge or anywhere else in a windless day.

ahaga09
Fisher

Post by ahaga09 »

big red wrote:Bring lots of bug spray. They will eat you alive around June,fishing under the Jewfish Creek bridge or anywhere else in a windless day.
I read you loud and clear on that one...we went to the keys last year around the same time and took a trip to the Everglades park...saw a few gators but the mosquitoes were the worst I have ever seen...it was rough...we mostly rode around and watched from the car.

ahaga09
Fisher

Post by ahaga09 »

Would a 2500 shimano be enough reel to fish from shore since I wouldn't have to haul them up a bridge? I have a 2500 on a 6'6'' med hvy rod. Thanks again for y'alls help...As I have read on here, I know I gotta figure stuff out on my own and I don't want to seem like I'm trying to milk this site for all it's worth...I'm just trying to figure out what I need to bring with me from Carolina and how to get started. Thanks again for everyone's help

-tight lines

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

big red wrote:Bring lots of bug spray. They will eat you alive around June,fishing under the Jewfish Creek bridge or anywhere else in a windless day.
Bug spray? Down there in July? Without wind? You're gonna be a happy meal. At that time of year we use two cloves of garlic on each side of a fresh dog turd tied in a necklace with two uni's. Old redneck swamp trick. Ever wonder how GK fishes the cobia farm in the Keys and never gets bit? Dig couple of inches into the beard.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

ahaga09
Fisher

Post by ahaga09 »

Kingofthesea wrote:Bug spray? Down there in July? Without wind? You're gonna be a happy meal. At that time of year we use two cloves of garlic on each side of a fresh dog turd tied in a necklace with two uni's. Old redneck swamp trick. Ever wonder how GK fishes the cobia farm in the Keys and never gets bit? Dig couple of inches into the beard.
Haha Up here in Carolina we use flea/tick collars during turkey and deer season for ticks but they seem to make you raise your leg when ya take a leak...thanks for the heads up I'll let yall know the deal in June

-tight lines

Return to “Monroe County”