uk visitors to keys july.. help pls

Boatless Fishing Reports for Monroe County, Florida Keys
Clubfoot
Fisher

uk visitors to keys july.. help pls

Post by Clubfoot »

Hi guys
coming over to Marathon with family 23 july then key largo for a week and finally Anna Maria for last two weeks. Working and saving like mad for this holiday of a lifetime so would v much appreciate you fellas helping out a Brit. Searched all the possible forums I can find and had a great time reading and re reading them. Main concern will how the heat will affect the fishing? Early and late seems to be the key ( no pun intended). Have a dock firstweek about 100 yds from altantic side, what can I hope to catch? Key largo staying at kywama yacht club, small pier there. Kids happy for pins small snapper etc but teenage son and I after slightly better fish. Any small sharks ie bonnets snook macks and jcks etc? Cudas also on list. May bring a coulpe of11ft pike rods and a sea rod for the bigger stuff. Prob buy a couple of spinning rods from BassPro and leave behind like we usually do. Assuming 10lb test for smaller stuff, 30-lb braid and 25lb flouro for medium stuff and maybe 40lb and wire for heavy stuff. Going out once each week after target fish dolphin withy a skipper, then will be a happy man! Will try to fish one of the bridges for a bit but as family hols got to be a bit considerate.. Assume live shrimp live pins squid etc for bait plus all the usual lures will work. planning on dropping a live bait in the canal late eve into dark for bonnets or any other large predators that may be lurking. Usual load of questions but will post a detailed report after hols.

Cheers
Col

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: uk visitors to keys july.. help pls

Post by krash »

Can't really help you with fishing advice, other than book a charter either a full on guide or drift boats make use of the equipment that both have and offer.
If you are in the Marathon area check out Magic Charters or Silent Hunter fishing, this is a father and son who have been guides in Marathon for many many years, BJ the son who captains the Silent Hunter was born on a sail boat anchored off Marathon. Silent Hunter is quite a boat, the father Barry does more back country stuff, while BJ does the deep water oceanside.

This year an annual event "Lobster Mini Season" falls on July 27th & 28th and unfortunately for you the Keys will be one crowded place, anyone who has anything that floats will be down there thinking they can bring home a gold mine of lobsters.

My in-law family has a place at Kawama, 2nd floor looking down at the Marina and pool, and they love it. My nephews, form Tampa, will likely be there for the week scouting, fishing, and diving. Not sure if there is much to catch from that canal pier, but there sure are a lot of Snappers and Lobsters lining the coral rock walls.. they have a dock-maser that will bust you if you even act like you are going to try fishing or diving in the marina lagoon. The canal is very deep water access, the navy use it during the cold war time frame as an access point, now the Border Patrol and FDLE use it and have 2 or 3 nice go very fast boats docked there. If you have a boat they have a boat ramp but the way its built you cannot launch or load during low tide.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Welcome to our forum...first off, if youre going to visit, make sure you do book a charter as you will definitely not regret the fabolous fishing the florida keys has to offer! But for bridge fishing, that time of year will be very hot, but prime for many species..most sought after, mangrove snapper, yellowtails and mutton snapper..tarpon, snook, permit and jacks will roam all of the keys bridges...a couple of 7 ft spinning rods anywhere from medium to heavy action rods will be more than enough. Shrimp will be out of season as they will be on the smallish side..but find you some fresh ballyhoos and/or live pinfish or pilchards and that will work just as great..be readily prepared for mosquitoes and no see ums, as they will be in full force during rainy calm days or nights. Not really familiar with dining accomidations or places to stay, but youre in the middle of some of the best fishing bridges and fishing guides..good luck and enjoy!

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

No braid line for boatless fishing...water is shallow and rocky. And bridge has tunnels and pylons

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

kblue wrote:No braid line for boatless fishing...water is shallow and rocky. And bridge has tunnels and pylons
Hmmm really to think I have been doing it all wrong for decades. (tommy
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Another thing you should want to take the family to do, with take care of an hour or so of your vacation.. stop by Robbies in Islamorada/Grassy Key and hand feed some Tarpon.

Robbies Tarpon...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWbCVs6IeFQ[/youtube]
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

fishnfool73 wrote:
kblue wrote:No braid line for boatless fishing...water is shallow and rocky. And bridge has tunnels and pylons
Well, it will depend on how much experience he has with fighting any meaningful fish over shallow rocky water... It may be wrong to compare your decades experience of handling big fish...

But his 11ft rod may be able to get away with braid.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

fishnfool73 wrote:

bout damn time you realized
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Greetings, Col and welcome! We, here on the forum, are mostly a bunch of angry curmudgeons, but we manage to get along, insult each other as often as we can, and actually get together on occasion to go assault the fish. Isn't that what fishermen do? By the way, me dad was from Doncaster and I'm half Brit! So, let's give it a bit of a go, Harry! Is this your first holiday to the Colonies? I'm thinking not, since you apparently have a lot of knowledge already, so either you've been here, or someone has, or you've spent a considerable amount of time in the Internet, researching. But, either way, you should know that we have, like most places, even UK, four seasons. Down here, as opposed to up there where you live latitudinally, we call the seasons Summer, Early Summer, Late Summer and Next Summer. I hope you get the point. :lol: What some of the lads have suggested so far is all true and pretty much dead on; sun, except when it rains which is often afternoons, bugs, because it's always summer and plan on some traffic because the Keys is so popular, especially on weekends! There's only one highway throughout and on Mini Lobster Season, it will be very crowded with vehicles with boat trailers and people. If you haven't already, I suggest you scout the "Net" for fishing charters and boats and captains. You should be able to also find some great videos of fishing, both bridge and boat. And you should be able to email some of the places you find, to find out more into so you can be more prepared once you're here. Some suggestions, depending on what you're able to find out in advance of your holiday; purchase several "Sabiki" (Sa-bick-ee) rigs locally for jigging up small bait fish around grass beds. That's at least one way to catch your own live bait. Of course, there are bait shops that can offer more variety; shrimp, squid, mullet. In regard to bridge fishing, take your choice of locations. But, several things to consider, seriously; hats, sunscreen and sunglasses for the glare, almost regardless of time of day. Cover up your skin as much as possible. Your wardrobe should consider lightweight, rather thin materials that can get wet, sweat or salt water, and dry quickly. Bug repellent, always on exposed areas, when you're standing on a bridge, holding still. You become a target. And, yes, some bugs are bigger than others. I was on a bridge one late afternoon and saw a mosquito on the walkpath, but it saw me coming, dropped his wingtanks and took off. LOL. And you will find out why we call them "No-see-ums"; BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SEE THEM, but they leave one hell of an itchy welt. Scratching will become second nature. Sorry, but true. Also, on a bridge, take a cooler with lots of water or other drinks, not soda. You and yours need to stay hydrated and you won't realize how much moisture (sweat) your body is losing, and sugary syrupy colas and fruit drinks will only mess you up. As a rule, I try to have at least 2 liters of water, per person, available, but you can judge what's best for you family. And absolutely do stop at "Robbies" in Islamorada. It's like an outdoor pub, but with so much more; food and drink, boat rentals, fishing charters, diving charters, and lots of craftsmen selling their wares, and the best fun is buying a bucket of fish and hand feeding the tarpon at the end of the pier. Great fun, and be sure to have a camera. And, yes, some fools lay down ion the pier and hold a fish just above the water and the tarps will inhale your hand/arm, not intentionally, and release it. Some folks think that's fun, but I'd like to give them a good thump! I hope all goes well, and of course, I don't have to tell you to talk to all the locals for more info on where to go and what to do when you get there. Oh, and practice your insults if you're going to remain here on forum. :jocolor: Hope all goes well. :reeling: Out!
Those other fish must be smart. We caught all the stupid ones!

Clubfoot
Fisher

Post by Clubfoot »

Wow many thanks for replies fellas. Been offlinefor a while hence delay.. Will get back to you a bit nearer the time. 7 weeks and counting......

Clubfoot
Fisher

Post by Clubfoot »

Hi wet Willie
Just been rereading posts and replies. just over 3weeks to go and gagging for it. Stressed out over work so can't come quick enough. Booking a day in marathon and key large on. A boat but just need to get head around the shore fishing. Thanks again for your detailed response

Col

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

fishnfool73 wrote:
Still the funniest fish I ever caught! Even the phantom tuna can't match the comedy of errors that permit was. Cracking up thinking about it.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Clubfoot
Fisher

Post by Clubfoot »

Hi wet Willie

In travel lodge waiting for flight tomorrow marathon tomorrow night ..

Here we come. Got a day dolphin fishing Monday will report after the! Month here.

Col

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Fins fishing hasnt been the best this year. Good luck to you out there!

Return to “Monroe County”