Upper Keys Fishing Reports

Boatless Fishing Reports for Monroe County, Florida Keys
spin4reel
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Upper Keys Fishing Reports

Post by spin4reel »

james380 wrote:Spin if you want to meet forum members a good place to start would be here http://boatlessfishing.com/forum/viewto ... 19&t=25350
Thanks for the invite James but, I got weekend aside since last month. My family and I are going on a disney cruise for that week. But hey, maybe next time, if you guys do this again.
JUST FISHIN AND CHILLIN

spin4reel
Seasoned Fisher

Post by spin4reel »

Landol45 wrote:
spin4reel wrote:Hey lando, I'm new at the forum, my name is Rob. Let me know if you are going that weekend and maybe we can hook up. I haven't been to that bridge in years. I remember that when I use to go there, I would walk all the way down to the end, and it was a very good spot for mangrove snappers. Let me know, I would like to start meeting members from this forum and share knowledges of fishing. How it happens.
Hey no problem spin, you can pm me and set up a meet place. We can get together at jack's bait&tackle before heading down to ch5.
Sounds like a plan, is Jack's still selling the rotten baits, smelling baits, that they put in a cooler with ice and call it fresh?? You have to know what oyu buy from them when they tell it's fresh. Don't get me wrong it's fresh but, you can't tell from what month!! LOL
JUST FISHIN AND CHILLIN

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

They schedule one every month... Some of the guys meet up and fish before hand. Great opportunity to meet the regulars.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

spin4reel
Seasoned Fisher

Post by spin4reel »

Cool, great idea. Hey by the way, that picture you have on the left side uner you name, are those the honeys you go fishing with?? If so, you must not do too much fishing!!! :toast:
JUST FISHIN AND CHILLIN

skyzdalymit71
Weekend Warrior

Post by skyzdalymit71 »

Yea lando i hear you it was relaxing anyway but maybe well fish one day.
FISHING ANY TIME, ANY PLACE, ANY CHANCE I GET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Landol45
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Landol45 »

skyzdalymit71 wrote:Yea lando i hear you it was relaxing anyway but maybe well fish one day.
Sounds good to me I am planning on going down to CH5 for Memorial weekend.

skyzdalymit71
Weekend Warrior

Post by skyzdalymit71 »

I going to try to make it to the cleanup next month and meet some of the guys on here. :reeling:

skyzdalymit71
Weekend Warrior

Post by skyzdalymit71 »

Lando not sure what im doing that weekend but ill see if i have plans.

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

spin4reel wrote:Cool, great idea. Hey by the way, that picture you have on the left side uner you name, are those the honeys you go fishing with?? If so, you must not do too much fishing!!! :toast:
lol nope just a random picture.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

Landol45
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Landol45 »

I want to go to the clean too. Hopefully I'll be able to go to the next one working on the 14th. Can't make it to that one.

firebeforice
Old Salt

Post by firebeforice »

I went solo last night from 12-2 am to my favorite north key largo spot. Anyways, I bought 4 pinfish from Jacks (or whatever it is called now). However, when i got there, the current was moving and it was high tide. I threw out two pins and nothing. I could hear and see poop exploding everywhere. I think my mistake was that I didn't bring any weight besides jig heads ( no split shot) and my baits were to high in the water column. The mosquitoes started getting bad so I threw one last cast near a pilon with a red light. Then boom! I felt a decent tug and had a short fight with something before it broke me off into the pilons. I was using 12 lb test and a 40 lb leader.

i hadn't been out in a while so it was nice to feel that pull--too bad i broke off though.

1) whats the best way to hook pinfish? i hooked them in their back. i was using circle hooks.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

I hook them through the lips usually. If you are freelining them and want them to swim down deeper, hook them through the anal cavity (no nice way to say it, lol)

firebeforice
Old Salt

Post by firebeforice »

thanks dude!

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

As Rory mention lip hooking is great. I've had great hook ups as well through the Back.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Either way I don't think they like it.
Too bad the water was moving so quick. What was you expecting to catch? Trout? Snook?

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

firebeforice
Old Salt

Post by firebeforice »

I felt like I hooked the pinfish backwards, so the current was moving against it, instead with the bait ( next i will lip hook) if that makes any sense.

Anyways, JF has always been of my favorite places, but after the bridge was torn down, my luck has not even approached the way i was fishing in the summer of 2008 (during the construction time). When me and friends would fish that bridge we would cast to the same spot in the center and seem to pull up swamp monsters with consistency. We even were introduced to Rufus the croc. That spot will never be the same. :x However, I have been kicking around the idea of taking my canoe there and tying up to a pilon, but only during a slack tide ( also at night )

bigseank22
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bigseank22 »

I was at channel 2 from 6 am- 1pm Saturday. My first time on the bridges fishing. I will be there quite a bit more now, I love it. And thanks to everyone who put all the helpful information for bridge fishing and rigging on the forum. I was surprised at how much I subconsciously picked up and put to use. Used a fish finder rig on my two crappy medium poles and a 3 way swivel rig on my 9 ft surf pole. Didnt get much action in the first couple hours except for a toadfish(most disgusting thing Ive ever seen BTW). At about 10 am the bite picked up. There was a school of about 5-7 tarpon crushing mullet for a good two hours and I picked up a grunt on the fishfinder, rehooked him on the surf rod and threw him at the tarpon. I had no luck with the grunt unfortunately, but after that we picked up about 5 undersized muttons and had to throw them back. Didnt get any keepers but now that I have experienced one of the bridges I will be back there more often. No one else on the bridge really caught anything either. The tarpon feeding frenzy was really cool to watch though.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Thanks for the report and welcome to our world. It will only get better and better :toast:

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

good stuff sean you will get man dont worry!..Good to see you hookin up to muttons man, keep on doing what you are doing. :toast:

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Juan AKA Swordfish and myself met up to try and score some Snook at a local spot. They were around, so were mullet, we didnt stay out too long but basically they were busting bait. Finally Juan gets hooked up and the fish makes a hard pull for structure and cut him, diesel in my book.

I stayed out a little while longer but no luck with the live bait or the buck tails I was tossing either, tough night but its all good.

Swordslayer71
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Swordslayer71 »

They don't get Diesel by being dumb. Thanks for the report :toast:
Hold Fast

soflafisher185
Fisher

Post by soflafisher185 »

How has fishing been at the channel 2 bridge? Im not from the area but i just want to know what to expect

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

soflafisher185 wrote:How has fishing been at the channel 2 bridge? Im not from the area but i just want to know what to expect

there are macks and snapper around...read this post about fishing the current. Its essential when fishing bridges.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30239

soflafisher185
Fisher

Post by soflafisher185 »

agonzalez0 wrote:
soflafisher185 wrote:How has fishing been at the channel 2 bridge? Im not from the area but i just want to know what to expect

there are macks and snapper around...read this post about fishing the current. Its essential when fishing bridges.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30239
Wow thanks! That did seem quite helpful!! :D

xmarlyx
Seasoned Fisher

Post by xmarlyx »

took the canoe out this morning around the flats. lots of ladyfish and bluefish around. caught a few trout. jumped a large tarpon a few times before he frayed my line. couldnt find the snapper this time around. on the way back ran into a big school of jacks. pretty windy out there today but still great to be out.

- Anthony

Manny
Weekend Warrior

Post by Manny »

Went out to Long Key Bridge on Saturday Afternoon around 11am. Nothing but undersized Mangroves. Then from 4 to sunset kept on getting hit on my pinfish. Something kept on biting me off on the south side. Pulled up this 18 Mutton and and a 22" Black grouper that went back :cry: . Also hooked a bigger mutton but lost him trying to get him on in the pier net.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ffishermen1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ffishermen1 »

nice looking snapper

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Manny wrote:Went out to Long Key Bridge on Saturday Afternoon around 11am. Nothing but undersized Mangroves. Then from 4 to sunset kept on getting hit on my pinfish. Something kept on biting me off on the south side. Pulled up this 18 Mutton and and a 22" Black grouper that went back :cry: . Also hooked a bigger mutton but lost him trying to get him on in the pier net.
Those blues might be hitting that area right now. It is the worst when you lose fish at the net.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

xmarlyx
Seasoned Fisher

Post by xmarlyx »

went out yesterday out of key largo on a canoe. winds were pretty strong. caught a few trout and one bluefish.
even hooked up to catfish twice :thumbdown:
but the bonnetheads out there were in full force. caught four of them. they wouldnt leave bait alone. was using fresh mullet and pinfish as bait. i also caught one blacktip or so i think it was. im not really sure if it was a blacktip or spinner. can anyone chime in on the difference between the two?

after fishing went and checked out card sound road for some other spots to launch from. has anyone ever launched off these bridges? mosquito creek or steamboat creek? looks like it would be good fishing from there.
tight lines.
- Anthony

uplumb
Fisher

Post by uplumb »

All of those bridges are great to launch from. I have a sit on top kayak. Its not a canoe, but I think its close enough. At the smaller bridges you can usually pull right up to the water. There is usually tons of bait around the bridge going over Steamboat, but it gets way too crowded on the weekends and that's the creek the jetskiers like best. I have done my best fishing in the creek west of mosquito (the creek next to the toll bridge). Depending on what the waters doing, it could be hell getting back to where you launched from.
Something to keep in mind...There are crocs in the creeks. I used to ignore that fact, but after having one ram my kayak, I limit my solo trips to steamboat creek. I think the water moves a little better there and its my understanding that crocs prefer still water.
Hope that helps. Where do you launch from in Key Largo?

Return to “Monroe County”