Middle Keys Fishing Reports

Boatless Fishing Reports for Monroe County, Florida Keys
BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Middle Keys Fishing Reports

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Put your Fishing Reports here
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

uku
Last edited by fishandchicks on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

BoatlessFisherman

Well took a roll down to Channel two on Tuesday night, Wayne , Jeff and Mike Champ.

Wacko currents, out going was 2 hours and at a snails pace.

Incoming was good but nothing but a few tarpon hits, Mike got a nice one straight up and down.

Snapper bite was none existent, i believe two small grovers were caught.

The big fish failed to show and all that did show was 20 or so divers in about 15 boats at day break, we had a diver on every pilon, that was our key to leave.

Mini Lobster season can put a damper on bridge fishing in the keys.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

capt bob
Weekend Warrior

Post by capt bob »

a nice sharp gotcha in the seat of the suit with a hefty hook set!...well...
what is the release citation on a diver any way????
Capt Bob
It's 5 O'Clock somewhere...yup sure is

IM CHUMMING
- Who Run It -

channel 2. 8/24/07

Post by IM CHUMMING »

11 am to 2 pm. hot hot hot! well got there at about 11 am live shrimp and some frozen pilchards. i just changes my line to some 20# power pro fells good on the reel and its real smooth, gets tangles alot easier that regular line tho.. well the current was crazy when i got there and dint change the whole time i was there. I tried a jig head with shrimp for the first time today, i didnt really know exactly how to hook the shrimp on the jig but the first shrimp i did put on the jig went straight down to the piling.. about 1 min later felt tug tug and this.

realease of the grouper! he swam right down!

that was my first bait in the water so im thinking "oh yeah!! theres bigger ones down there" well if therewas they werent interested in shrimp or pilchards. but i did catch this lil guy with a pilchard about 2 hours after

and a scorpion fish and a freakin burnt back!! thats it!

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

*double post*
Last edited by BRunner346 on Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

nice report. its about time someone posted in the keys report section. what size jig head?

IM CHUMMING
- Who Run It -

Post by IM CHUMMING »

honestly i dont know what size it was. you can see it in the pic of the grouper in its mouth, its about the size of my pinky nail

Big Daddy
Old Salt

Post by Big Daddy »

Nice pics. Is it just me or are most fish really beautiful? Good report- you really love to fish to do 11am-2pm in August. The catch keeps calling you back.

Seems like you figured out how to fish a shrimp on a jig the same way most of us did-trial and error. No shortage of jig fishing info on BF site, or the web. I've hooked shrimp at least 3-4 different ways on a jig, depending on what I'm after.
Wanna go fishin?
We ain't left yet?

BD

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Nice report and pics. I'm overdue for a trip, decided I will head down Sunday morning (leaving Miami early, around 4am) for the day, got a new shark rod to test out...

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

me and frentals will probably be there sat and sun. pm me what bridge(s) youll be fishin and maybie we can meet up

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

me, viktor (frentals) and viktors friend james headed down saturday. it was lightninging (spl) A LOT so we didnt drive to a bridge for fear of gettin rained out. we stayed at my aunts house and there is water behind it. there is a dock and a small deep mangrove lined channel. the whole bottom was manatee grass. we were netting quarter sixed mohharas but we were to impacient to save them for the next day. victor got a nice grover on one. then my mom got back with 3 doven live shrimp. we were flicking them under the mangroves on a jighead and nailing grovers and grunts. we burned through the shrimp in no time so victor started throwin his net again and got a like 8 inch cuda. the next day we hit channel 5 at like 7. we wanted to go earlier but it was pouring. viktor soaked a palm sized blue crab he got in the net for like 5 hours the whole time we were there and we reeled up just the top of the shell. i got a short mutt on a gog chunk and nothing hit my fresh grunt half. viktor put his 9/0 out with the small cuda and had somethin run him under the pier and break him off. then we put out a butterflied runner out and viktor got a 3'8" 14 pound cuda. (that cudas gunna catch us more sharks than you danny and jeff) were usin it for shark bait next weekend. viktor wanted a nother cuda so he put down a live runner on a wire stinger rig on his spheros 6000. after a while the rod tip starts bouncin and viktor sets the hook. it came straight up and rolled and i couldnt believe it but it was a big poon!
it went straight under the bridge and broke him off though. we had to leave soon after he lost the poon. we went back and swan around my aunts dock and in the channel. they have a rope tied to the mangrove so you canswing off of it. james was FREAKED OUT. he felt something touch his foot and got out of the water so fast his pants fell down. he was so scared he didnt even pull em up till he got compleately out of the water too. we and viktor were crackin up. heres the pics.

grover on mohhara

wierd fish we got in the net

small cuda

big cuda

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Nice report the fish you have on the dock is a toadfish aka motherin law fish, oysterfish, or dog fish. No use for them as bait or eating.

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

really cus ive heard people talking about lizard fish, and using lizardfish and toad fish interchangebley

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Nice to meet you guys, I did ok after you left, got a cuda about the size of yours, had a NICE smoking run on the 4/0 with a freelined blue runner but it never got hooked, and played tug of war with about a 6 foot nurse shark for 30 minutes. Also got a few smallish snaps, mostly lanes and yellowtails on the gog chunks you gave me, thanks.

BoatlessFisherman

Great Report, Thanks

was the water murky or clear ?
-Tommy A-

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Nope lizards and toad 2 different things. If they are good for bait best kept secret there is.

screamendrag
Seasoned Fisher

Post by screamendrag »

yo that looks so sick!......I was so pumped for this trip and now i dunno if i can even go......i got a phone call from my mom today an she says she might be comin down to look at condos of coarse this weekend....and of coarse that means ill be her personal driver :cry:

anybody wanna go next weekend too??

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Water was pretty murky, but the current was running pretty hard all afternoon, so it was hard to tell.

frentals
KING MACKEREL

Post by frentals »

screamendrag wrote:yo that looks so sick!......I was so pumped for this trip and now i dunno if i can even go......i got a phone call from my mom today an she says she might be comin down to look at condos of coarse this weekend....and of coarse that means ill be her personal driver :cry:

Your moms comign down this weekend as in the weekend your gonna get your ass kicked ina tourney, by a bunch of little punks?
lol
facebook.com/landsharkfishing
youtube.com/landsharkfishingtv

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

glad to see our bait worked for you and not us :lol: just playin. mucho gusto. sorry, spanish 1 and i love saying that.

snakehead terror
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snakehead terror »

Lucky im in spanish 2. Es muy estupido :?
BEAST
snapperkiller

screamendrag
Seasoned Fisher

Post by screamendrag »

frentals wrote:
screamendrag wrote:yo that looks so sick!......I was so pumped for this trip and now i dunno if i can even go......i got a phone call from my mom today an she says she might be comin down to look at condos of coarse this weekend....and of coarse that means ill be her personal driver :cry:

Your moms comign down this weekend as in the weekend your gonna get your ass kicked ina tourney, by a bunch of little punks?
lol
haha i didnt even go and i still prbably placed higher then you :D lol.....what the deal havent heard from any of you guys???you do any good?Danny said he got a nice cuda on a mack

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

i typed this whole thing last night but while i was waitingfor the pics to upload, i accidentally turned the laptop off. harley, danny (bridge rat), and viktor (frentals) al got to my house around 11:30 on saturday. we fried up some fish we got at deerfield on thursday and got our gear together.

we got to long key around 5 because we stopped to net some bait. the first shark bait we put out got hit within 30 minuetes.

it got on the power poles twice but with harley's guiding, viktor got this nice bull straight up and down.

while trying to decide weather or not to gaff it, the shark took one last short run under the bridge and frayed him off. rory (phishin phanatic) was there and got a keeper mutton. danny got a nice jack and harley swam it out on his accurate.

it got hit quick and what ever it was ripped line off on a locked drag and got him on a power pole. around 11:30 danny's bottom rod goes off. he got him up but it was hard to net because the current was pushing the fish and the net under the bridge. harley netted him eventually and it was a huge, 8 pound, 24 inch mutton.

early sunday morning harley got a keeper mutton

we got shrimp on sunday and started nailin grovers. i got a nice 19 inch hog fish on viktors rod and a blue crab. a cuda got at him but i got the whole fish

this guy bought some pilchards from us and got a keeper black on one

we got some more shrimp and got more grovers and two more hogs (one short and realesed).

harley got the last fish of the day. a puffer that ate a whole grunt!

heres the haul

Last edited by fishandchicks on Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

thanks bro. do you have any good recipies for muttons and hogs?

IM CHUMMING
- Who Run It -

Post by IM CHUMMING »

damn nice time!! good job guys!!!

gonesharkfishin'
Old Salt

Post by gonesharkfishin' »

did you see the "cuda" because that doesnt look like a cuda bite... it looks mor like a shark
Got Sharks?

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

yup. saw a long thin blue thing come up behing him. the fish never ran with the crab. i actually went over with another crab to switch it out with and it felt like it was snagged. i turned around and walked back. i felt something like it was coming out of grass. and then i felt somethin pulling back. he came to the surface a little ways away from the bridge and i saw the cuda come up behind him. i hauled him in quick and danny netted him. only saw the cuda once but it was deffinatly a cuda.

kngfshman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kngfshman »

That right there is an awsome weekend.
GET THE GAFF!!!

frentals
KING MACKEREL

Post by frentals »

screamendrag wrote:
frentals wrote:

lol
haha i didnt even go and i still prbably placed higher then you :D lol.....what the deal havent heard from any of you guys???you do any good?Danny said he got a nice cuda on a mack
We actually tied harley and danny 350-350 but if they didnt count thier stupid runners lol it wouldve been 350-340
facebook.com/landsharkfishing
youtube.com/landsharkfishingtv

Return to “Monroe County”