Lower Keys Fishing Reports

Boatless Fishing Reports for Monroe County, Florida Keys
Green Tide
SHARKER

Re: Lower Keys Fishing Reports

Post by Green Tide »

anas473 wrote:the next time I show up I will be ready land some of the big boys with my bigger toys.
If I had a dollar for every time I said that.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Green Tide wrote:
anas473 wrote:the next time I show up I will be ready land some of the big boys with my bigger toys.
If I had a dollar for every time I said that.
I recently heard of a brother that fishes permit from the Keys bridges using 100lb Ande pink mono and 100 lb fluro tied on to a monster circle hook. I understand he usually wins
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

Wouldn't their soft mouth rip on a high drag?

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

No. Those jaws are substantial.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Kingofthesea wrote:No. Those jaws are substantial.
I'm thinking about targeting me some permit... I want to figure them out. I'd have to start by building a combo for it of course lol... You need some big gear to go after these gals I hear... Like you said, yo-yos being the gold standard. A soda can with some string used to serve me well in my childhood... I guess it may be time to put childish things aside.

-Swordfish

sachig
Fisher

Post by sachig »

Went down to key west for a quick weekend. Wanted to fish a little instead of drinking beer all day! Went to Fort zachary state park and fished off the jetty. I should have brought my cooler. I ended up with 2 hogfish, around 5 mangroves over 12 inches, juvenille groupers. Also had 2 monster hits which broke me off. I was the only one fishing there on a Saturday morning. Will definitely make time to fish there next time i go to Key West.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

ive always wanted to fish it
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

sachig wrote:Went down to key west for a quick weekend. Wanted to fish a little instead of drinking beer all day! Went to Fort zachary state park and fished off the jetty. I should have brought my cooler. I ended up with 2 hogfish, around 5 mangroves over 12 inches, juvenille groupers. Also had 2 monster hits which broke me off. I was the only one fishing there on a Saturday morning. Will definitely make time to fish there next time i go to Key West.
Next time you go... Bring a BIG poppin rod with a BIG topwater... OR the biggest silver spoon you dare fling out... Cast out towards the channel as far as you can...

Here is one of the few places I know of where you can target smoker Kingfish from land...

They come VERY close.

Now, this I have never seen, but from a reputable source, amberjack sometimes come in and like big topwaters.

Give it a shot, you never know...

I would not be shocked if a ballyhoo plug produced very decent sized muttons here.

It is roughly 35-40 feet deep in the middle of that channel for the cruise ships and I BELIEVE they want to dredge it to accommodate bigger ships.

Let us know how you do :pistols: :pistols: :dude: :dude: :dude:

-Swordfish

Neverfrayed
Fisher

Post by Neverfrayed »

Haven't been to the keys in a while, does anyone know what bridges in lower keys are open and closed?

DonOne
Seasoned Fisher

Post by DonOne »

To my knowledge, the following bridges are closed.
Little Duck - Missouri (MM39.5)
Missouri - Ohio (MM39)
Ohio - Bahia Honda (MM38)
South Pine (MM28.5)
Niles (MM26)
Lower Sugar Loaf (MM15.5)
Hope this helps.

Return to “Monroe County”