Sunday/Monday, 6th and 7th...

This area is for all of Alabama
cotton
Weekend Warrior

Sunday/Monday, 6th and 7th...

Post by cotton »

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I have been busy and it takes a little time to write and put in pics for a report...I will try to do better :oops:
Sunday was one of those pier days you dream about...we got up early to catch bait, I took Nate, Connor and one of their friends Zack...Connor doesn't fish, but he takes his DS to keep him occupied; I think he likes it though cause its a "happenin" place. We got to the pier real early, I pushed our "mini winnebago" cart up the ramp...taking 3 kids really increases the payload :lol: . We had ELEVEN rods between us :lol: Anyway, Sunday had a real surreal feeling to it...you just knew it was going to be a great day, and it was; there were so many kings hooked up and caught it was unreal...I lost count, but I think the official "Pete count" was over 40 (Pete is a great guy and does a good job helping folks, and keeping us straight)! Also, so many folks I knew and know from forums, it was awesome (except I didn't get to see pierpounder who was out there Saturday, sorry I missed you Dave). Let's see: John G and son, the Virciglio clan, sttacket, Mr. Otis, Mr. Arliss, James "outlaw" and wife, OPPest (down but not out), Wetzell Wood, John Gains, Pete and so many more...sorry if I left anyone out but I was concentrating on the grovers and only look up from time to time to check on my kids :lol: Nate caught 2 kings! Nice schoolies; there were several flounder put on the pier, too. Many spanish caught as well. The water was perfect, no need for trollies - there were several "3 hookups" going at the same time. Jeb "original pier pest" gaffed fish constantly, but unfortunately got bit by a king and ended up at the E room; he was back that afternoon, but was bandaged up considerable. Since I was grover fishing, I was able to stop and even gaffed a few myself :shock: I thought everthing went well considering the crowd...most of the crowd were sight see'rs and of course they crowded the rail to see the fish, and Chuck had a considerable time keeping them back. There was one slight saber rattling between Pug and some fellow who I think didn't speaka zee engleesh. But the fellow apoligized afterwards...it would really help matters if folks would attempt to "larn the language" :lol: The kings were attacking everything; Pugs boy hooked up on a nice king on a white jig fishing for spanish...I saw one guy during the rainstorm (did I mention the rain storm...well anyway it did) hook up and yes he faught the fish with the spinning reel upside down reeling backwards :roll: ...and landed the fish (well, I think Jeb actually gaffed him).
One poor fellow dropped his rod and reel in the drink...never did recover it, felt sorry for the guy and drug my gaff for it but the current was too strong and I think its under the pier.
Here are some pics:

Charlie and Wetzel (sp?)

Nate and Connor with one of his kings...

Nate with both kings...

da money shot...

I mentioned the "storm", yes it thundered, lightninged, and rained but I fish through it..prolly not the smartest thing, but when you're looking down in the water for grovers, you don't notice alot...I looked up once and most everone was under the "sheds" or at the T, only a couple of us fools fishing :roll: I had my togs on, and I was getting bites so I didn't stop :lol: . It did "pop" a few times but it looked like it was mostly inland :wink:

I hooked a big bull early who dared to inhale my grover offering...broke him off (who wants to keep one of those big nasty things) but kept a slot red who did the same thing. I ended up with 8 grovers, no real biggies but nice "eaters". I just love those fish...I think I have become obsessed with them. :wink: :mrgreen:
It was one of the best and most memorable days I've had...I love our pier :cheers: .

We went again Monday, only me and Nate this time; totally different kinda day. The water was fairly dingy and brownish in comparison to Sunday; Nate caught a spanish but couldn't manage a king. There were considerably less hookups; most that I saw were on the set rigs or one line "trollys" set up current on the southeast side. Some nice kings caught though. I caught one slot red :twisted: who mauled my mangrove offering...kept him for daring to offend :lol: got a couple of grover bites, but all shorts that I returned to sea. Guess they're wise to my tricks :wink: I also caught one foot long flounder fishing a mullet that was half as long as he was (needed a break from grover fishin') :wink: It was still a good day though, we left around 2, pretty tired from 2 awesome fishing days. We had one slight "casualty"...Nate broke a rod tip bending it down to hook the treble in an eyelet...live and learn. So now I got a little rod mending to do :lol: We ate some of the fish already...the grovers panfried whole with sweet and sour sauce: just friggin awesome! Goes great with a "chubbly bubbly"...fried up the king and spanish, not bad fresh.

Feel free to add anything I left out...

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Sunday/Monday, 6th and 7th...

Post by fishnfool73 »

Great report and the pier looks better every time I see it .
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Pier#r
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Pier#r »

GREAT report cotton :cheers:

Wish I coulda been there to carry on the 'slaughter' with y'all :happyfisherman:
But I used all my 'kitchen passes' on Saturday :roll: :wink: :lol:

Thanks for posting.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Great report.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

IM CHUMMING
- Who Run It -

Post by IM CHUMMING »

thanks for the report

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

Great report...Whats that big fish on the other end from the kings...?
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

GO4EM wrote:Great report...Whats that big fish on the other end from the kings...?
RED maybe?
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

That would be a redfish. COTTOM what is the mangrove snapper limit out of Alabama also the kingfish limit . Here it is 2 kings and 5 mangroves so wondering how it is up there.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

He mentions it being a Red in his report you no reading bastard.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

cotton
Weekend Warrior

Post by cotton »

mangrove snapper - 10 per person, 12" TL
king mackeral - 2 per person, 24" FL

yep, that's a redfish.

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

cotton wrote:mangrove snapper - 10 per person, 12" TL
king mackeral - 2 per person, 24" FL

yep, that's a redfish.
:salut: great catches
james380 wrote:He mentions it being a Red in his report you no reading bastard.
:study:

Return to “Alabama”