Sat Mar17 Dauphin Island Pier

This area is for all of Alabama
Pier#r
Seasoned Fisher

Sat Mar17 Dauphin Island Pier

Post by Pier#r »

The day started out chilly (50) and windy (15-20 from the north) so I didn't bother trying to start early.
I left the house with the feeling I was forgetting something, and finally remembered it was the digicam :x
Oh well, it would've been bad luck to turn around to get it :?

I arrived at the pier just after 10 am with two dozen nice mixed live shrimp and a dozen beautiful bull minnows from Southern Bama. The tide had started in and there was a mud line just off the beach, but the water cleared a bit near the sandbar. And there was NO swell at all.

Not much had been caught prior to that.
Only one sheepshead, some nice ground mullet and some small white trout.
After 11am a few nice sized sheepshead started hitting occasionally though the water was still dingy.
About 25 were landed and again that many broke or pulled off during the next few hours.
Most were caught on heavy tackle fishing live shrimp on the bottom way up under the pier. Just a few were caught on hermit crabs.
I managed only one sheepshead and two 16" flounder before 2pm :oops:
About then I noticed occasional schools of sheepshead were meandering around on the upcurrent side of the pier (in spawn mode).
Several folks were fishing for them, but NOone got any to bite.
I started drifting the smallest live shrimp I had on my 6# spinning outfit with just a #6 singlehook and a medium splitshot.
That turned the tide in my favor as every shrimp I had got eaten up.
I landed 10 more sheepshead and lost two to the piling (can't win 'em all :wink:
Not bad for a late start and a slow beginning, but at least my day finished with a strong catch.
The wind layed off and the sun warmed the air to about 60 degrees.
All total there was about 60 sheepshead landed, 3 flounder, a 15# drum, a 29" redfish, some ground mullet (before I got there) and a few small white trout.
It sure was a great day to be fishing and the ole luck of the Irish came through for me 8)
Thank You Lord!

I did get a "money shot" of the fish back at the house :wink: :lol:
WOOO HOOO the Gulf State Park pier is OPEN!
Gulf State Park Pier 6am Tuesday July 21, 2009

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

great report, glad to see someone is catching fish

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Nice report and great eats but what is a ground mullet?

Pier#r
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Pier#r »

fishnfool73 wrote:Nice report and great eats but what is a ground mullet?
Thanks!

Sorry :oops: Ground Mullet is our colloquial name for Southern Kingfish Menticirrhus americanus

Return to “Alabama”