Saturday Feb 2 Alabama Point report

This area is for all of Alabama
Pier#r
Seasoned Fisher

Saturday Feb 2 Alabama Point report

Post by Pier#r »

Well the Groundhog sure saw his shadow in Mobile, AL this morning!
It started out with a light frost under fair skies and light NE winds.
But the fishing tradition has it, IF the sheepshead eats a live shrimp on Feb 2 winter is OVER 8) :wink: :lol:
So I headed for Orange Beach to fish Alabama Point and give it a try.

:idea: After I got to the Alabama Point Bridge I called my wife at home to get on the computer and take my picture with the webcam Image :lol:

With the east wind blowing about 15 knots not much was happening fishing wise under the bridge (only two guys fishing).
But these two fellas in the boat were doing OK as the tide turned. We saw them catch several sheepshead or drum.

I had 3 dozen largish live shrimp (from Shirley's on the Causeway) and decided to head out on the west jetty to let them soak.
Not much happening out there either, except for a (guide) boat anchored off the end of the west jetty that had a pretty decent catch of sheepshead.
The only bite I had (a good sheepshead) came unhooked after a prolonged battle :?
At least it was a pleasant afternoon (temp in the mid 50s) and there was plenty of life to watch...

About 2 pm my old buddy Capt Dave Brown came walking out there to say hi :shock: 8)
Well he must've been my good luck charm because I finally hooked another sheepshead (about 3 1/2#) and he netted it for me.
We chatted and 'caught up' for a little while and not long after he left I hooked several more sheepshead, landing two and had another hook pull :roll: :evil:
This one was just under 4#

Even a #3r like this one sure is a LOTTA fun on 4# spin.

Then I landed a double-spotted 15 1/2" redfish (CPR)

But after that some small bluefish moved in and ate up the rest of my shrimp and cut my hook off at least 5 or 6 times :x
Still I fought several for a few minutes (good strong runs) and even managed to land two.
The 'Money Shot'...

It sure was a nice afternoon to be fishing

Thank You Lord!
Maybe winter is over :wink:
WOOO HOOO the Gulf State Park pier is OPEN!
Gulf State Park Pier 6am Tuesday July 21, 2009

Return to “Alabama”