Saturday Feb 9 Dauphin Island dock report

This area is for all of Alabama
Pier#r
Seasoned Fisher

Saturday Feb 9 Dauphin Island dock report

Post by Pier#r »

My options were limited with the DI pier closed as well as the road around Ft Gaines to the jetties, so I went by my sis & bnl dock to fish.
I had picked up two dozen nice live shrimp from Souther-N-Bama and got to the island about 9:30.
It was mostly sunny and mild (air and water temps were both in the low 60s) a slow falling tide and the water visibility was about 5 feet 8)

Don't ya hate it when you're on your way fishing and it suddenly dawns that you forgot a vital piece of equipment :roll:
like a landing net :shock:

Sure enough on my first shrimp I hooked a nice 4# sheepshead.
After a good fight I led it to the seawall to try and reach down to lift it with one hand. Those things do NOT have a handle :fish:
And as luck (bad) would have it the fish made a lunge and the line wrapped around the rodtip and 'tink' it broke the 4# mono :?
So I spent the next 15 minutes rooting around the house and finally found one of those $8 white mesh nets on a 6 foot wooden handle.
But it worked just fine ;)

The next few hours provided some good intermittent action with the sheepshead. Most on my 4# UL 8)

It was neat watching them chase the shrimp to the suface and try to eat it 8)
The difficult part is to wait until the right time to set the hook :oops:
I lost several to premature releases (including two slot-sized redfish) and had one other sheepshead break off on a sizzling 30 yard run over an oyster bar :shock:
But when it was done by 1 pm I had 6 in the box (plus one more caught at the Ft Gaines jetty).

Three of those were over 4#, caught on 4# 8)

Thank You Lord for a beautiful winter day and some nice fish to spice it up even more :D

mikeypbg
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mikeypbg »

nice report. Nice fish.

Return to “Alabama”