Another First Snook

Fish must have been caught using live or cut bait, after November 1, 2006.
Please let us know the tackle you used, how you rigged your terminal tackle, and any special techinque used.
20 Pound Mono
Fisher

Another First Snook

Post by 20 Pound Mono »

I have been fishing in and around Boynton Inlet on and off for many of my 62 years. I have caught all kinds of fish and broken-off more than I care to admit but I had never landed a Snook. I decided to target Mr. Snook on the inside seawall this season as I had seen some swimming along the seawall.

I made sure to get my licence and Snook stamp up to date and headed out September 1st, opening day. My wife and photographer had caught some small Grunts for me to use as bait. Using a inexpensive Shakespeare spinning combo with 570 Alpha reel, 20# test mono and MH 8 foot rod I rigged the grunt with a 4-0 hook under the back dorsal fin, added about 4 feet of 50# clear leader with only a 1/2 oz sinker to keep the bait down away from the birds.

On my first toss with this rig, about 6 feet from the seawall, - BAMB - going down!!!! This guy I didn't see but I was sure it was a big Snook. It wasn't the battle I was hoping for and the rod and reel stopped him before he could get very far or cut me off on the seawall or rocks but it was a thrill I will never forget. After fighting him in, I was able to lean over the seawall, grab the leader at the swivel and hoist him over the seawall to the applause of the crowd.

Best part, 32 inches on the money - a keeper. mmmmmm mmmmmmm goood. :D :D

slammingjack
Fisher

Re: Another First Snook

Post by slammingjack »

Nice , nice fish! WTG!

20 Pound Mono
Fisher

Post by 20 Pound Mono »

strizile wrote:Very nice :toast:

Keeper always good. If you keep or not until that decision is made a ruler is necessary and a lift with the hand under the belly right away from the getgo.

If not to size and a release is on the table the snook just hanging there could be in danger thats why the hand under the belly.

Would not be the first snook that swims of to land belly up.

Anyway congrats on your first. Nice lil tug huh?
First thing I did was measure him before I started holding him up for the pictures. :D :D

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

I'm happy for you brother. So satisfying when you target a specific fish, figure it out and finally catch one. Nice snookie
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

Return to “Saltwater: Caught using live or cut bait.”