Coquina For Sand Fleas???

This area is for those questions about bait how to catch it, keep it alive and so on.
mangrover
Weekend Warrior

Coquina For Sand Fleas???

Post by mangrover »

What is coquina and where can I get it. I heard its the best way to keep sand fleas alive. If anyone can add anything to using coquina to keep fleas alive I would really appreciate it.

phino
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Coquina For Sand Fleas???

Post by phino »

mangrover wrote:What is coquina and where can I get it. I heard its the best way to keep sand fleas alive. If anyone can add anything to using coquina to keep fleas alive I would really appreciate it.
how long are you planning on keeping them alive for? i don't know about that from my personal experience but sounds interesting, one thing i learned from zeb was using ice in a cooler and having the sandfleas above the ice (not on it) and the sandfleas last my whole trip and even the next day morning for me.

i'm sure others will chime in too
"A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn’t know what a patient man she married!"

mangrover
Weekend Warrior

Post by mangrover »

I've heard you can keep them alive for a full week in coquina. If they will keep that well in coquina I'd really like to know about coquina and how to use it to keep fleas alive.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

mangrover wrote:What is coquina and where can I get it. I heard its the best way to keep sand fleas alive. If anyone can add anything to using coquina to keep fleas alive I would really appreciate it.
Coquina is broken or fragmented shells /mollusks all broken into small parts that are along the beaches in south Florida instead of just sand.
As sand fleas die and get broken into the ground they become part of the coquina. For the most part as this stuff rolls around on the shoreline it gets sanded to where the edges are not sharp and you can walk through it without getting cut.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Return to “Bait Bucket”