BHP (Texas) Bull Red

This area is for reports from non listed areas, If you will be doing reports and particapating, I will gladly make sure your area is listed, Just ask for it.
Seaborn
Fisher

BHP (Texas) Bull Red

Post by Seaborn »

Just wanted to post up this video of a Bull Red my brother got over the weekend. We spent 4 days out on BHP but Bull Reds seem to still be the primary fish being caught right now. We tried fishing for sharks but the north wind and the water was crazy the first couple of days, so we floated baits out (taking advantage of the wind) that didn't get picked up. Third day we did make deep drops, three baits between 500-1000+ yards and two yaked baits did have a bite mark. Most of what we saw caught on the pier were Bull Reds though, I think the biggest was around 45 or so inches. We also ended up missing one hard run which I personally suspect to have been a Bull Red, whiting seemed to be the token bait.
Fish that I saw caught over the trip: Bull reds, whiting, gafftop, hardhead, pup sharks, bonnethead (supposedly someone caught a small one), small sandbar.
Also got a 3'8" Sandbar, landed on an old frozen mullet, passing up the fresh whiting and pompano. We thought it was a Bull but Albert told us it was a Sandbar (I'm not sure if we've ever landed one, so it was hard to tell since it was small) There wasn't really enough shark activity going on for me to make this one of my full on shark reports. Albert showed up on Sunday and he ended up catching 3 small shark after we left.

Here's the vid of my bros 37 inch bull red. I look forward to putting out some awesome videos this season with my brand new Contour. As you can see in this video, the main reason I wanted one so bad is so that I could be hands on in helping and get video at the same time.

And I'll throw in some random pics as well.
ImageImage

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: BHP (Texas) Bull Red

Post by fishnfool73 »

Somr really intresting pictures there, thanks for sharing.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

fishnfool73 wrote:Somr really intresting pictures there, thanks for sharing.
:stupid:
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Does that Red have an all black tail???

Seaborn
Fisher

Post by Seaborn »

No that's just how the video made it look, it was a typical Bull Red. I should have gotten a picture of the fish but we've sort of gotten used to catching them so we don't always bother.

Ken+
Old Salt

Post by Ken+ »

Hey Seaborn,

I'm visiting Houston, TX at the end for June for 3 days (June 22-24). I would like to spend one day fishing the Gulf waters in Galveston from either the pier or from the beach.

I know BHP is in Corpus Christie and the fishing may be different from Galveston, but I'm sure some of the rigs and techniques are similar.

Can we chat a bit about that? I'm hoping to catch some spanish mackerel, pompano and pup sharks (blacktip, sandbar, Atlantic sharpnose and bonnethead). Not going to try for the big sharks since my gear is limited...so I'll stick to my limits.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

i wish we could still fish the piers down here in south florida like that
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Seaborn
Fisher

Post by Seaborn »

Ken+ wrote:Hey Seaborn,

I'm visiting Houston, TX at the end for June for 3 days (June 22-24). I would like to spend one day fishing the Gulf waters in Galveston from either the pier or from the beach.

I know BHP is in Corpus Christie and the fishing may be different from Galveston, but I'm sure some of the rigs and techniques are similar.

Can we chat a bit about that? I'm hoping to catch some spanish mackerel, pompano and pup sharks (blacktip, sandbar, Atlantic sharpnose and bonnethead). Not going to try for the big sharks since my gear is limited...so I'll stick to my limits.
We don't really fish Galveston and Corpus any differently, it's pretty much the same setups. I haven't heard a whole lot about spanish mackeral in Galveston, I'm sure they're there but I just don't hear a lot about them. We focus so much on shark fishing that I don't really keep up with what else is running, so I can't really tell you about whether pomps and macks will be in the water at that time. If they are though, then spanish love sabiki rigs and gotcha plugs. Pompano love shrimp and fish bites.
The piers and the beach are both great in Galveston. If you don't want to get messy in the sand then the 61st street pier is great. There is another pier, but I don't do the driving so I don't know what it's called, but there are two piers along the sea wall and both are great.
If not the piers, then the jetties along the seawall or the beach fronts across the seawall are also great, lots of reds, jacks, etc run through there. In general fishing along the seawall is kind of what you'd be aiming for if you're trying to fish there for a day, it's a convenient location with easy parking.
Pup sharks will eat exactly what you'd expect them to eat, using a steel leader, 5/0 circle hook and a chunk of any kind of fish you can get. That or a live piggy perch or something. It's not hard to feed them, they'll even hit shrimp. Sandbars will be long gone though. Hope that helped; like I said, since our primary focus is on sharks at this point I don't think I have much to offer in terms of knowledge on things like Pompano or Spanish Mackeral. I know they're running in Corpus though, and sometimes the fish that run through Corpus will start coming through Galveston a month or so later.

Ken+
Old Salt

Post by Ken+ »

Thanks seaborn. I'll PM you a few more question I have. :D

!^LUIS^!
Fisher

Post by !^LUIS^! »

Is that a penn senator 4/0 with blue side plates i saw above on one of the images? If, so pm where i can find this.

Return to “U.S.A. ???????”